• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamic Only: "In God We Trust" and the Commandments

Does "In God We Trust" on our money take the Lord's name in vain?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jonny

I'm trying to make up my mind on an issue and I thought that it would be helpful if there was a debate on the subject between those who actually believe in the 10 Commandments.

So, is printing the phrase "In God We Trust" on all our money taking the Lord's name in vain? What does it mean to take the Lord's name in vain?

I don't know the answer, so I'd like a good debate to help me decide. :)

---------------------------------------
I'm sure that there are plenty of RFers who have an opinion on this, but I'd like to limit the thread to Abrahamic Beliefs. Thanks.

Aqualung

Tasty
I said yes (but thinking about it, I should have said "I don't know" :D). First of all, I have no idea who "we" is, so it might just be a lie. But the biggest thing, is it's printing it one money. There are some people who all they care about is the money. That's probably the biggest idol in this country. Why would you put God's name on something that many people revere more than God.

And here's the "no" side. I don't know that "taking the Lord's name in vain" means not saying the word God at all. God, after all is just a title. It's not his name. A lot of times I think of it as meaning that, but then, I also think maybe he just meant, don't go around pretending your acting in God's name when you're not. Don't go around baptising people in my name without authority, because that's in vain. Stuff like that. So I honestly don't know.

jonny

Aqualung said:
I also think maybe he just meant, don't go around pretending your acting in God's name when you're not.
Great point. I always thought of taking the Lord's name in vain as a commandment about speech, but I can see how it is also a commandment about our actions.