• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamic Faiths: If Jesus wasn't the messiah. Who was he?

Unification

Another one who thinks he knows Judaism better than the Jews ...

For one, your lower nature is perceiving that I am stating that I know Judaism, when in reality... I don't. I am speaking of the scriptures, not Judaism. Judaism and scripture are very separate. Respond, don't react.

outhouse

Atheistically
What we all have been led to believe about Jesus, is most likely not who he was at all, if he even existed. How much time has been wasted in my life, wondering and researching the cast of characters of a potentially fictional story. Man, imagine if the world put its collective head together and tried to find answers to real life problems instead of seeking answers to imaginary ones.

The cool thing Is the real story hidden behind the mythology, is better then the written version.

It also has quite the educational value in that you learn how people manipulate their communities theological needs for their own objectives.

Unification

Manna in the desert is not literal food coming from the literal sky in the literal desert.
Yeah...it was.[/QUOTE]

Just when one thinks they have seen it all with vain imaginations, and the farthest from truth and reality.... literal food falls from the literal sky in a literal desert.

Harmonious

Judaism is what you recognize as truth. Not the scriptures.
Wow. These two sentences explain your view of reality. Interesting.

I'm not even sure how to address the other post you directed at me in response to the commandment challenge.

Your world view is so very different than mine that I'm not sure how to continue to talk to you.

Maybe I'll come back to you after Shabbat.

Unification

Wow. These two sentences explain your view of reality. Interesting.

I'm not even sure how to address the other post you directed at me in response to the commandment challenge.

Your world view is so very different than mine that I'm not sure how to continue to talk to you.

Maybe I'll come back to you after Shabbat.

They do. Truth: in accord with reality, "that which is."

Anyone can take scriptures, perceive them how they want and create a religion, and call them Judaism scriptures or Christianity scriptures and so forth.

If I may give some advice, use your "Shabbat" day to have a still, open mind and concentrate on the things of "God" and what truth really is, spiritually... Your inner self and God.

Blessings to you.

Moishe3rd

Yehudi
Well, just for giggles - I'll give MHO for the 2008 question - which does indeed conflict with the accepted Torah observant Orthodox position; the Christian position; and the "in general" Jewish position.

Jesus was a mystic. He probably worked on himself to such a degree that he could indeed perform "miracles." But, the "miracles" that he "performed" were for the sake of getting people, Jews in particular, out of their ordinary sense of themselves. He probably wanted to have people, Jews in particular, have a more godlike, spiritual understanding of being Jewish and being human.
He was a mystic in the fine old tradition of mystical guys who created their own new path from an established spiritual teaching.
And, he tried to explain this whole idea to people and they all misunderstood. I mean, who understands a mystic?
He told his disciples several times not to take anything he said literally and to not tell anyone who he really was... But - did they listen? No. Such is the lot of men.
And, such is the power of Faith.
In a faithless, savage, confusing Roman world, when miracles seem to occur in the Name of the "Risen Man," Jesus, the Romans had something to latch onto in their purposeless, meaningless existence.
But, being Romans, they turned Jesus into the Risen Soldier of god.
"Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war
With the cross of Jesus going on before
Onward then, ye people, join our happy throng
Blend with ours your voices in a triumph song
Christ, the Royal Master, leads against the foe
Forward into battle, see His banners go..."

And, poor Jesus began turning over in his grave as they turned him into a god of Death and Power. He has been re-crucified every day by Christians for the last 1500 years.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I don't know who Jesus ''was'' in this context. The OP question presupposes one definition of Messiah, yet jesus spoke of the one that would come after Him!
Does this mean that Jesus wasn't the Messiah? He doesn't seem to think He is the only Messiah, that's for sure. Unless He meant His second coming...is that the same 'Jesus' as He was in the Bible? Why didn't He just say, 'I will return as the second Messiah'?

So, since Jesus didn't even seem to limit Himself to a ''messiah'' label, /unless the one after Him will be God incarnate as well,, why does anyone else?

Unification

Well, just for giggles - I'll give MHO for the 2008 question - which does indeed conflict with the accepted Torah observant Orthodox position; the Christian position; and the "in general" Jewish position.

Jesus was a mystic. He probably worked on himself to such a degree that he could indeed perform "miracles." But, the "miracles" that he "performed" were for the sake of getting people, Jews in particular, out of their ordinary sense of themselves. He probably wanted to have people, Jews in particular, have a more godlike, spiritual understanding of being Jewish and being human.
He was a mystic in the fine old tradition of mystical guys who created their own new path from an established spiritual teaching.
And, he tried to explain this whole idea to people and they all misunderstood. I mean, who understands a mystic?
He told his disciples several times not to take anything he said literally and to not tell anyone who he really was... But - did they listen? No. Such is the lot of men.
And, such is the power of Faith.
In a faithless, savage, confusing Roman world, when miracles seem to occur in the Name of the "Risen Man," Jesus, the Romans had something to latch onto in their purposeless, meaningless existence.
But, being Romans, they turned Jesus into the Risen Soldier of god.
"Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war
With the cross of Jesus going on before
Onward then, ye people, join our happy throng
Blend with ours your voices in a triumph song
Christ, the Royal Master, leads against the foe
Forward into battle, see His banners go..."

And, poor Jesus began turning over in his grave as they turned him into a god of Death and Power. He has been re-crucified every day by Christians for the last 1500 years.

Let's say that in Judaism and just about all of Christianity, they are waiting and looking for an external God/messiah..one to return to literal Earth and set up shop and a conquering kingdom here. A majority of Christians would say that Jews are still waiting on their Messiah, and that theirs came (Jesus). Yet the irony is that Christians are making the same mistake today, waiting on an external God/messiah to come and set up shop on literal Earth in a conquering kingdom.

When Jesus taught everything completely opposite of the mainstream Christian belief. He stated and made clear, the kingdom comes with no signs and observations, the kingdom is within one and anyone who teaches otherwise, do not follow them. The kingdom is NOT of this world, it's a spiritual kingdom, within the human.

Now let's say God in the Old Testament/Hebrew scriptures wasn't a happy God when people offered up the lame, blind, and sick animal sacrifices. Here comes Jesus, healing the lame, blind, and sick. Were they literal animals being healed? No, the natural human is the carnal animal that needs a messiah, and the messianic seed is one that grows from within the human.
While everyone keeps looking for an external God to come conquer on Earth to destroy his enemies, God does come and conquer on Earth and to destroy his enemies.... God comes in the flesh, manifested in the human body (Earth) to destroy his enemies (sin within ones mind and heart).

Moishe3rd

Yehudi
Let's say that in Judaism and just about all of Christianity, they are waiting and looking for an external God/messiah..one to return to literal Earth and set up shop and a conquering kingdom here. A majority of Christians would say that Jews are still waiting on their Messiah, and that theirs came (Jesus). Yet the irony is that Christians are making the same mistake today, waiting on an external God/messiah to come and set up shop on literal Earth in a conquering kingdom.

When Jesus taught everything completely opposite of the mainstream Christian belief. He stated and made clear, the kingdom comes with no signs and observations, the kingdom is within one and anyone who teaches otherwise, do not follow them. The kingdom is NOT of this world, it's a spiritual kingdom, within the human.

Now let's say God in the Old Testament/Hebrew scriptures wasn't a happy God when people offered up the lame, blind, and sick animal sacrifices. Here comes Jesus, healing the lame, blind, and sick. Were they literal animals being healed? No, the natural human is the carnal animal that needs a messiah, and the messianic seed is one that grows from within the human.
While everyone keeps looking for an external God to come conquer on Earth to destroy his enemies, God does come and conquer on Earth and to destroy his enemies.... God comes in the flesh, manifested in the human body (Earth) to destroy his enemies (sin within ones mind and heart).
Let's not say and pretend we did....
(Which is sarcasm for saying that your particular viewpoint had nothing to do with my speculation. Just sayin' ya know?)

rosends

Let's say that in Judaism and just about all of Christianity, they are waiting and looking for an external God/messiah..one to return to literal Earth and set up shop and a conquering kingdom here. .
Why say that if it is inaccurate?
Jews are not waiting for a god, external or otherwise, nor for anyone/thing to "return" anywhere.
If you want to start with a premise, it should be an accurate one so your parallel to modern Christianity would be accurate.

Unification

Why say that if it is inaccurate?
Jews are not waiting for a god, external or otherwise, nor for anyone/thing to "return" anywhere.
If you want to start with a premise, it should be an accurate one so your parallel to modern Christianity would be accurate.

Of course, one cannot "return" if they've never appeared in the first place.

Chas2

The scriptures (both Judaic and Christian) were written by men, but based on their understanding of God. The messiah was therefore a myth, so Jesus could not have been the messiah. Jesus was the Son of God, whom God created so that anyone who believes that he was the Son of God comes out of separation from God into His Presence. Once we have come into God's Presence, we enjoy relationship with Him. But who can believe this?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The scriptures (both Judaic and Christian) were written by men, but based on their understanding of God. The messiah was therefore a myth, so Jesus could not have been the messiah. Jesus was the Son of God, whom God created so that anyone who believes that he was the Son of God comes out of separation from God into His Presence. Once we have come into God's Presence, we enjoy relationship with Him. But who can believe this?
You're not making any sense.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
What do you mean, ''who can believe this''? Some people believe this; many don't.