• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About the poem "The Hound of Heaven"

Here is a link if you are not familiar with it...Illuminating Lives: The Hound of Heaven

do you think it is an accurate portrayal of how the Christian God deals with man?

My mother loved this poem and often recited it and quoted it as I was growing up. It had a reasonable amount of influence on my religious development.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think the poem speaks not so much of the Christian God as it does of certain kinds of mystical experiences -- Someone who tries to escape from having such an experience gets chased by the hound, poetically speaking.

That's an interesting way of thinking about it.

I had forgotten about the poem for a few years, then I heard someone on a religious radio program reading it and speaking about it, and I was wondering if Christians these days are familiar with it and what they think of it.

I'll take another look at it with your interpretation and see how it "feels"