• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion Restrictions were Illegal in Poland

Heyo

Veteran Member
https://www.reuters.com/business/he...omans-rights-european-court-rules-2023-12-14/

The European Court of Human Rights found the restrictions on abortions enacted by the PiS government to be illegal. Not only did the law interfere with a woman's right to privacy and family life but also that the nomination of three justices of the Polish Constitutional Tribunal had been illegal.
Any resemblance to other countries is entirely accidental.

Altfish

Veteran Member
https://www.reuters.com/business/he...omans-rights-european-court-rules-2023-12-14/

The European Court of Human Rights found the restrictions on abortions enacted by the PiS government to be illegal. Not only did the law interfere with a woman's right to privacy and family life but also that the nomination of three justices of the Polish Constitutional Tribunal had been illegal.
And this is the law that our crazy right wing nut job UK government wants to opt out of.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Honestly I believe that it's right that cannot be abused...but a woman should have the right to choose.
Unwanted pregnancies can happen, in very rare cases, even if one uses contraceptives regularly...so abortion should be granted to these women.

No Maltese has ever complained about the abortion ban in Malta, though.
Probably because Maltese women can take the ferry and have an abortion in Italy...just like that.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Honestly I believe that it's right that cannot be abused...but a woman should have the right to choose.
Unwanted pregnancies can happen, in very rare cases, even if one uses contraceptives regularly...so abortion should be granted to these women.
The above mentioned case wasn't an unwanted pregnancy but a pregnancy with a foetus that had genetic defect.

JIMMY12345

i do not like abortion.Make abortion totally illegal if we have systems in place.To ensure all the children have decent homes,schools and have kInd caring people to look after them.Currently to many children starve with no food.They are abused and have a horrible life.
The people who loudly pray outside abortion clinics should follow the bible.Instead of just sprouting words they should offer the poor mothers a roof at their houses and food.This would mean the state is not responsible - and abortion rates can come down.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Killing a kid simply because they have Down's Syndrome is eugenics and simply disgusting and evil. It says that people with Down's shouldn't be here, that special needs people are less valuable. Killing them isn't a cure. Such abortions should be banned. Shame on the EU for supporting Nazi-like eugenics and I hope the Poles stand their ground. For all of Europe's self-flagellation over Fascism and Nazism, it's rather telling they that overlook this remnant of it.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Killing a kid simply because they have Down's Syndrome is eugenics and simply disgusting and evil. It says that people with Down's shouldn't be here, that special needs people are less valuable. Killing them isn't a cure. Such abortions should be banned. Shame on the EU for supporting Nazi-like eugenics and I hope the Poles stand their ground. For all of Europe's self-flagellation over Fascism and Nazism, it's rather telling they that overlook this remnant of it.
I understand your concern and I also find it ethically questionable. But that was not why the Polish law was seen as illegal. Poland had taken all exceptions for genetic defects off the list. I.e. also defects that would give the child once it's born a short and miserable life.
The other reason was that the Justices who confirmed the law were illegally nominated.
You can't ignore those just because in this special case the reason for the abortion is ethically questionable. (And you still ignore the will of the woman.)

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I understand your concern and I also find it ethically questionable. But that was not why the Polish law was seen as illegal. Poland had taken all exceptions for genetic defects off the list. I.e. also defects that would give the child once it's born a short and miserable life.
The other reason was that the Justices who confirmed the law were illegally nominated.
You can't ignore those just because in this special case the reason for the abortion is ethically questionable. (And you still ignore the will of the woman.)
Yes, that sounds like a bit of a mess and I hope it does get straightened out, but I stand by what I said. As for the will of the woman, I'm not ignoring it. She's just wrong.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Aborting a foetus and killing a child are categorically different events. Conflating them seems like a cheap rhetorical device used to avoid thinking through a difficult situation.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
When we were pregnant,in both cases we tested for Down syndrome (among other things) as soon as it was possible to do so.
We would have terminated the pregnancy instantly if found positive.

I resent you accusing us of nazism and facism because of that.