• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion | Father's Rights

rojse

RF Addict
Except it has the same issue with it: abortion can be a major procedure; just as it's considered unreasonable to demand that a woman carry her fetus to term, I think it's unreasonable to demand that she not do so.

Plus, I think that in practical application, if a law like that were actually put in place, it would end up just being a means for deadbeat fathers to have a legal excuse for their deadbeat-ness.

I don't think I was quite as clear as I wanted to be.

In the situation where a man does not want the child and the woman does, removing parental rights and responsibilities of the male seems to solve both problems in the most reasonable way possible. The male has his financial and parental obligations removed, and his rights in the process, and the female gets to have the child.

Yes, it does give a legal excuse for deadbeat fathers to be deadbeats, but the current situation, of being saddled with the social and fiscal responsibilities of parenthood when they do not want it, I don't see as being overly fair either.

Last edited:

jrbogie

Abortion topics pop up now and again but I don't see any that have focused only on the Father's Rights. So, does the father have any rights when it comes to an unborn child? )

in the US, fathers have no legal rights when it comes to abortion. roe v wade ruled that a woman's right prevails. that's precisely what is meant by "pro choice". you could read it "pro woman's choice" and you'd be more correct. roe is the law. rights have nothing to do with it in a legal sense.

sarahjane127

Scientific Mind
In my experience a father is always against abortion. Mainly because they do not have to experience the body changes and pain it involves in having a child. Although it is the mother's body who experiences this a father should have rights, how much? I am not sure of that. I feel right now that abortion should be legal, if it isn't think of all the people who would hurt themselves trying to do it on their own. Abortion however should be limited. If you've had more than two abortions and you do not want a child it is time to do something! Go on birth control or get that area fixed. There are plenty of people who want a child and you are killing one because you don't want it. Give it up for adoption!