• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aaronic Priesthood & Marriage

EverChanging

Can priesthood members preside over the sacrament at home or in small private groups?

Can they bless the sacrament all alone to renew the covenant?

Or is the sacrament only for official church services on Sunday?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Can priesthood members preside over the sacrament at home or in small private groups?

Can they bless the sacrament all alone to renew the covenant?

Or is the sacrament only for official church services on Sunday?
It's not actually against any rules that I know of for a priesthood holder to preside over the sacrament at home or in a small group, or even for himself. I can really only speak for how things are done here in Utah where there are such a large number of LDS families living in close proximity to one another and to a ward meetinghouse, but typically here, a couple of priesthood holders will take the sacrament to the homes of house-bound individuals who would not be able to receive it otherwise. Perhaps in parts of the world where this would be very inconvenient, it's not done as much. Other than to say that the sacrament does not have to be prepared or passed within the confines of an actual church building, I'm going to let one of the "guys" (i.e. priesthood holders) answer this, as they may have discussed the rules in Priesthood Meeting and know something I don't.

EverChanging

It's not actually against any rules that I know of for a priesthood holder to preside over the sacrament at home or in a small group, or even for himself. I can really only speak for how things are done here in Utah where there are such a large number of LDS families living in close proximity to one another and to a ward meetinghouse, but typically here, a couple of priesthood holders will take the sacrament to the homes of house-bound individuals who would not be able to receive it otherwise. Perhaps in parts of the world where this would be very inconvenient, it's not done as much. Other than to say that the sacrament does not have to be prepared or passed within the confines of an actual church building, I'm going to let one of the "guys" (i.e. priesthood holders) answer this, as they may have discussed the rules in Priesthood Meeting and know something I don't.

When you say they take the sacrament to the home-bound, do they celebrate the whole service there, or do they take left-over elements from the communion service and give those to the sick without blessing them again?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
When you say they take the sacrament to the home-bound, do they celebrate the whole service there, or do they take left-over elements from the communion service and give those to the sick without blessing them again?
The entire service, including two prayers is done in each home that is visited.

Norman

Defender of Truth
Sorry I mislabeled this thread. It should be "Aaronic Priesthood & Communion"

Norman: Hi EverChanging, In a sacrament meeting we sing a sacrament hymn. The sacrament is the responsibility of the Aaronic Priesthood, a Priest breaks the bread. A Priest kneels and says the sacrament prayer on the bread. The Deacons pass the bread. A Priest kneels and says the sacrament prayer on the water, Deacons pass the water. If there is not enough Priests or Deacons, the Melchizedek priesthood can fill in where need be. When a member is sick or home bound, a Priest and a Deacon accompanied by a Melchizedek priesthood holder will go where that person is and administer the sacrament to that person. There is no hymn sung or full sacrament meeting, just the blessing and passing of the sacrament. The sacrament service is done in Church on Sunday's. However, for those members who meet in some one's house every Sunday, a full sacrament service is performed. There need's to be a Priest (s) or Deacon (s) to administer the sacrament and the Melchizedek priesthood presides over the meeting. I hope this answered your questions? Thank you for your questions.

Norman

Defender of Truth

Norman: Hi EverChanging, only the blessing and passing of the Sacrament is done when it is taken to the sick or home bound or where ever that person is. New water and new bread has to be blessed and passed again.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Norman: Hi EverChanging, only the blessing and passing of the Sacrament is done when it is taken to the sick or home bound or where ever that person is. New water and new bread has to be blessed and passed again.
That's more or less what I meant when I said "the entire service." I wasn't referring to the entire Sacrament Meeting, but to the sacrament portion. I think EverChanging was wondering specifically whether the bread and water were blessed only once or at each home. If my answer didn't make sense, yours probably clarified what I was saying.

Norman

Defender of Truth
That's more or less what I meant when I said "the entire service." I wasn't referring to the entire Sacrament Meeting, but to the sacrament portion. I think EverChanging was wondering specifically whether the bread and water were blessed only once or at each home. If my answer didn't make sense, yours probably clarified what I was saying.

Norman: Hi Katzpur, sorry, I misunderstood you. You were correct :)

Norman

Defender of Truth
Sorry I mislabeled this thread. It should be "Aaronic Priesthood & Communion"

Norman: Hi EverChanging, I forgot to add that a teacher prepares the sacrament before services begin. Also, the blessing of the water and bread if need be can be done by one priest hood holder.