• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a very rough draft of a masters thesis

chuck010342

Dealing with apologetics check out the beginning of this essay I wrote go ahead and respond it it.

Apologetics can be done two different ways. The first way I call the list. A big list is compiled of other worldviews and religions. The things on this list are refuted for various reasons. The major reason that refutes most other worldviews and religions is the simple fact that they are not integrated when they answer the big questions of life. Any Worldview or Religion must answer the following questions and do it without contradiction. What happens is the list is compiled then refuted because the worldview or religion is not free of conflict or contradiction.
The second way apologetics can be done I call the evidence. I call it the evidence because that’s what its all about; evidence. Evidence is given for why being a disciple of Jesus is the best path one can take in the journey called life. There is plenty of evidence for the discipleship as the right path. The evidence includes Historical, Philosophical and Scientific. There is also plenty of Psychological and Spiritual evidence but they will not be considered here because they are not my areas of expertise.

this needs some work big time :help:

Tawn

I dunno.. but I just got top marks in my Uni for my masters thesis.. its nominated for an award at national level.. but I think it did well because it engaged with social theory.. I chose Post Marxism.. perhaps you might find Phenomenology an interesting social perspective for studying a theological topic??

chuck010342

Tawn said:
I dunno.. but I just got top marks in my Uni for my masters thesis.. its nominated for an award at national level.. but I think it did well because it engaged with social theory.. I chose Post Marxism.. perhaps you might find Phenomenology an interesting social perspective for studying a theological topic??

I'm not interested in social theories. I guess a study of how groups react to eachother in a church setting would be a perspective for studying a theological topic

Tawn

Social theory can be applied to virtually anything and everything where humans are concerned. It isnt just about groups of people..

I get the impression your topic is a bit too unfocused. A good thesis should ADD something to the current knowledge base.. not just review things that have probably been looked at by someone before..

chuck010342

Tawn said:
Social theory can be applied to virtually anything and everything where humans are concerned. It isnt just about groups of people..

I get the impression your topic is a bit too unfocused. A good thesis should ADD something to the current knowledge base.. not just review things that have probably been looked at by someone before..

that sounds impossible.

Tawn

chuck010342 said:
that sounds impossible.
Which, what? Adding to existing knowledge? Not if you research a particular niche area that nobody has looked at in a particular way before..

Tawn

Discourse analysis is always useful for identifying the way someone embeds their arguments with ideological content. This would work well within the field of apologetics would it not?
For example, take a particular specific issue that different faiths discuss.. a particular area of history.. or a particular scientific finding.. search for alternative interpretations of the evidence. Several from the Atheists and several from Theologicians or whomever and look for the way they argue with each other. Try to discern where bias is used to defend each side. Problem is of course you have to take into account your own bias.. always a difficulty with discourse analysis.. since a dissertaion which utilises discourse analysis can itself be subjected to discourse analysis..I dont know.. its upto you, but if youre doing a post-graduate level thesis it should really be more advanced than an overview of the major religions and the ways they argue.. you cant really do such a wide topic much justice unless youre writing 200,000 words..

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Tawn said:
Hey congratulations Tawn; I did part-time adult sociology until I worked out you could say anything as long as you prefaced it with " Of course, there is an argument that, given the right sociological circumstances, it could be said that..............":biglaugh:

chuck010342

Tawn said:
Which, what? Adding to existing knowledge? Not if you research a particular niche area that nobody has looked at in a particular way before..

Considering the scientific possiblities of Turning pudding into soap has not been noticed by many scientists, thus in this essay I will look at the possiblities.

chuck010342

Tawn said:
Discourse analysis is always useful for identifying the way someone embeds their arguments with ideological content. This would work well within the field of apologetics would it not?

yes it would.
Tawn said:
For example, take a particular specific issue that different faiths discuss.. a particular area of history.. or a particular scientific finding.. search for alternative interpretations of the evidence. Several from the Atheists and several from Theologicians or whomever and look for the way they argue with each other.

Like arguments used for God exsistance, on the atheist side and one on the theist side, one on the muslim side and so forth.

Tawn said:
Try to discern where bias is used to defend each side. Problem is of course you have to take into account your own bias.. always a difficulty with discourse analysis.. since a dissertaion which utilises discourse analysis can itself be subjected to discourse analysis..I dont know.. its upto you, but if youre doing a post-graduate level thesis it should really be more advanced than an overview of the major religions and the ways they argue.. you cant really do such a wide topic much justice unless youre writing 200,000 words..

I suspect the thing to be really long when its finished. I'm still in Undergraduate school right now (double major history and theology with a minor in philosophy) So I got time to work on it. Thank for your info.

chuck010342

Tawn said:

It seems kinda hard to look at something in a particular way that nobody else has. THere are alot of people on the planet.

Tawn

Well, you might duplicate the research of some other work.. but if its not widely known...
Using a social theory is a sure way to avoid revisiting a lot of peoples work..
Like arguments used for God exsistance, on the atheist side and one on the theist side, one on the muslim side and so forth.
Yesa exactly.. and the more focused the subject, the more detail you can put into analysing each different viewpoint.

Tawn

Just as a warning chuck.. try not to make your essay an argument for one side or the other.. until you get to the conclusion.. then you can add personal thoughts..
I wonder if you could look at the ideas surrounding hell.
Those Christians who believe in the fire and brinstone version.
Those Christians who believe in a hell which is simply a lack of connection with god.
Other faiths versions of hell and how theyre similar and not.
Also Atheists and why they do not fear hell.. how do they skirt around the issue.. surely Atheists must fear eternal torture? if not why not? we sure are taking a massive risk are we not?

just an idea..