• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a ticket for a cross

carlaflys

Hello, i am new here and am questioning the law in illinois. I received a disorderly conduct ticket yesterday for displaying a wooden cross on my fence..very small..about 7" wide by about 12 inches long. It was brought to me by my mother who visited Jerusalem made from the olive tree...it blends with my fence and gives me peace to know it is there. The person on the opposite side of the fence who viewed it, went to the police station and said that it was alarming and disturbing for her to see and so therefore i received a ticket. When the police came to my house I was shocked and cooperative but refused to sign the complaint stating that my civil rights have been violated by the issuance of the ticket. Any advise ...? I contacted the Mayors office and am waiting to hear back. thanks and God Bless! Carlaflys

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Welcome to ReligiousForum, glad you found us, and be sure to check out the rest of the site.

As for your situation, you need to find out the exact wording of the ordinance under which you were cited and determine if the cross was in violation of it. Then, you should consult a local attorney and find out if this is a battle worth fighting. That's up to your principles, your ability to fund a legal fight, and your willingness to engage 'City Hall'. Those aren't decisions any one here or any where else can make for you. Good Luck and enjoy the site. :)

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Welcome to the board!

Just a question; can you think of a religious symbol (from a different faith than yours) which would disturb you if displayed on a neighbor's fence?

My own personal view of fairness would dictate one of two approaches; either anything at all is OK, or none is. Illinois, or at least your local government, has evidently chosen the latter option.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Wow, I would call the local news stations. Get as much publicity as you can. I don't have a word to describe how absurd that is. I'm telling you, the government angencies are just sticking their noses into too many people's business. I'm in shock over this one.

Melody

I'm with ES. I'd call the local media and raise a ruckus. I don't know of anywhere in this country where it's illegal to place a cross or any other religious symbol on your own property.

Voxton

·
I second that motion -- call the local media and raise a ruckus. Then, get a ten foot tall cross and mount it in your yard, nail yourself to it (you'll need someone to help you with the last one) and start screaming, "HELP! HELP! I'M BEING OPPRESSED!"

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Carlaflys; Namaste.

Sounds like you are in a weird neighbourhood, if people are going to be that petty!
She said that it was 'alarming and disturbing for her to see' - she has a problem!

You might like to have a look at : Articles for New Members ; from there, there is a link to the forum rules, which you might also like to see.

Happy posting, and I hope you get to keep your cross where you want it.:)

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Greetings, and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Spirit, call the media.

If it comes to it, there are organizations that would help with legal matters.

Though I wouldn't go so far as to perform Voxton's second suggestion.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Welcome to the forum!

I agree with everyone who says to get the media involved. How can it be any business of the state what religious symbols you have on your own property? It sounds completely mad to me.

It reminds me a bit of an amusing story in my wife's home town in Romania. There's a rather, shall we say, eccentric old man there who believed that the Soviet invasion at the end of the war was a sign that the Second Coming was about to happen. He didn't want God to overlook him (strange that he could have such a petty worry) so he erected a huge (and I mean about 8 ft tall) cross in his garden. The Soviets obviously objected and knocked it down but, despite the risks, he went and put it back up again. This happened several times and, amazingly, the Soviets eventually decided he was just a bit mad and, rather than 'disappearing' him, left him alone. The cross is still there to this day.

No matter how rabiddly atheistic your government might be, they can't be as bad as the Soviets were so, chances are if you refuse to back down, and particularly if you shame them publicly (via the media in your case) like the old Romanian man did, then they're likely to give up. Then again, you could always fall foul of a tin-pot Hitler, so there's no guarantee it will work.

James

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Every time I see a post on this thread, I am thinking "This is just plain ridiculous".................

I must admit, if it was me, I would holler, and go as high as I could.............:149:

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
'Come and see the violence inherent in the system!!
Voxton said:
..."HELP! HELP! I'M BEING OPPRESSED!"
If you're gonna' invoke Monty Python:D, ya gotta' include the first part.:p When I got my first 'real' computer, a Mac Classic II, this was the sound I had SoundMaster play on shut-down for like endless.

carlaflys...I hope you come back and tell us what happens next. Don't leave us hangin'.:jiggy:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
but refused to sign the complaint stating that my civil rights have been violated
You should have. Your civil rights were obviously violated.
As for the media, if you do that, be ready for alot of attention. Both good and bad. And with the media, be ready to take the case to court, because if your influenced by others at all, thats what youll probably end up doing.
What I would do. Take the ticket to a lawyer, ask about the law that got you that ticket, and then go from thier. But technically, you shouldn't have gotten the ticket. One of the principal rights in America the pursuit of property and happyness. If you are christian, you would be enjoying your property more by displaying it. That is your right. No one makes your neighbor look at it.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Welcome to RF!

I can't think of anything like that here...people have crosses in front of their houses and all kinds of things. I have a pentacle hanging from my rear view mirror in my car and have yet to hear anyone complain of seeing it there. I worked with people that wore shirts with pictures of Jesus on them and prayers and angels and stuff like that. Unless you are going around with a sign attached to the symbol shouting "believe it or die!" I really don't see the problem. I agree with the others...go to the media.