• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Sukkot story

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Or: The case of the weird etrog.

My grandfather told me earlier this evening that when he was younger and living in New York, he knew a certain rabbi, Rabbi Gershon Yankelewitz z"l. Rabbi Yankelewitz had learned in the Mir Yeshiva during WWII. As is well-known, the yeshiva had escaped to Shanghai. Rabbi Yankelewitz recounted to my grandfather one time about how they tried to get the 4 minim one year. They managed to find three of the four species, but couldn't get an etrog (citron). One day, one of the students said that he heard of a place where he might be able to get one. He disappeared for three days and showed up with an etrog that looked like it had a hand attached to the end.
The people weren't sure whether they could use it for the mitzvah. Finally they tried using it for the first few days of Sukkot. After a few days, they once again became unsure about using it, and so decided to stop.

As it turns out, it seems that this is the etrog species they had discovered:
Buddha's hand - Wikipedia

upload_2021-9-18_23-27-17.png

I think we can understand now why they wondered whether it was good for use for the mitzvah. :eek: