• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A rerversal of priorities

Faust

I have worked on both sides of the "blue collar" " white collar" divide and I have this observation to submit.
In years past, a career was the by-product of the manufacturing and services industries.
It seems to me that a reversal of priorities has taken place. Products and services seem to be the by-product of the career manufacturing process to the detriment of goods and services.
Any comments?
Faust.

rivet

Faust said:
It seems to me that a reversal of priorities has taken place. Products and services seem to be the by-product of the career manufacturing process to the detriment of goods and services.
I don't know if there has been a reversal of priorties.
Businesses are driven by profit. Labor is a major expense. Easiest way to increase profits is to layoff workers.

Career employees are expensive. They demand ever-increasing salaries and pensions. Better to encourage high-turnover to keep profits up.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Faust said:
I have worked on both sides of the "blue collar" " white collar" divide and I have this observation to submit.
In years past, a career was the by-product of the manufacturing and services industries.
Any comments?
Faust.
I'll go along with that re the services industries. When I was in Banking, behind a counter, I was told that a)the customer was always right and b) even if he wasn't , you had to be very diplomatic - the main priority was politeness.
My wife and I had a 'run in' with a guy in the service department of a garage. After we proved he was in the wrong about something, seeing that he apparently was not going to apologise, Marie said to him "Well, aren't you going to apologise then?" - in a pleasant, almost 'jocular' manner.
He looked at us, scowled, and grunted:tsk: 'Well, my boss was also wrong; why should I apologise?'

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
That's horrible, Michel. I know I've stated it before, but I really dislike rude people.

I am lucky enough to work for a company that actually practises what they state they believe in. During training, we were told that the company philosophy was to "Use good judgement" in whatever you're doing. Naturally, I thought sarcastically 'Well, that's all very well and good, but will they actually let us do it?" When I got on the phones (we take catalog orders, returns and whatnot), I found out that it was actually true. As a service person, you are enabled to do things like price adjustments, refund shipping and handling, and pretty much everything you can to delight the customer and make their 'shopping' pleasant.

I still want to work in the massage therapy field in which my training is, and which I find most rewarding, but I'm glad I get to work at a place where I can respect myself (and others!) while I'm trying to find the other.

Faust

rivet said:
Career employees are expensive. They demand ever-increasing salaries and pensions. Better to encourage high-turnover to keep profits up.
And what about jobs that require an extensive amount of training and knowledge?
Faust.