• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for people against mandates

Which option best describes your attitude to pandemic public health measures?

• I oppose them, and this is in line with my views before the pandemic.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I oppose them because of a change in views since the start of the pandemic.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I support them (and just like to click on polls)

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Other (give details in the thread)

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
To me, it seems like anti-mask/anti-lockdown/anti-vax/anti-mandate sentiment that we're seeing in the pandemic is mostly a new thing.

I mean, there have always been anti-vaxxers, but for the most part, they were a fringe element. Not many people kicked up a fuss at things like:

- the vaccine passports kids needed for public school
- vaccine requirements for healthcare professionals
- quarantines and public gathering restrictions during past health crises (e.g. the SARS outbreak in the early 2000s)

... but I wonder if the people against the current public health measures see themselves as having changed their minds... so here's a poll.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
To me, it seems like anti-mask/anti-lockdown/anti-vax/anti-mandate sentiment that we're seeing in the pandemic is mostly a new thing.

I mean, there have always been anti-vaxxers, but for the most part, they were a fringe element. Not many people kicked up a fuss at things like:

- quarantines and public gathering restrictions during past health crises (e.g. the SARS outbreak in the early 2000s)

... but I wonder if the people against the current public health measures see themselves as having changed their minds... so here's a poll.
I am not in USA so cannot comment. Are you talking about a general mandate or mandates for specific occupations?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I am not in USA so cannot comment.
I'm not in the US either.

Are you talking about a general mandate or mandates for specific occupations?
Both.

The vaccine mandate for schools applies to all taxpayer-funded school boards here. You can't attend school unless you're up to date with your shots for a wide range of diseases.

Along with those general mandates, there are requirements for certain jobs. For instance, I can remember hearing my ex (so more than a decade ago now), who worked in HR at hospital, talking about having to chase down nurses who hadn't gotten their flu shots.

The pandemic restrictions during the SARS outbreak in 2003 were similar to those for COVID over the last few years (gathering size limits, etc.), only the SARS outbreak was much shorter than COVID has been.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not in the US either.

Both.

The vaccine mandate for schools applies to all taxpayer-funded school boards here. You can't attend school unless you're up to date with your shots for a wide range of diseases.

Along with those general mandates, there are requirements for certain jobs. For instance, I can remember hearing my ex (so more than a decade ago now), who worked in HR at hospital, talking about having to chase down nurses who hadn't gotten their flu shots.

The pandemic restrictions during the SARS outbreak in 2003 were similar to those for COVID over the last few years (gathering size limits, etc.), only the SARS outbreak was much shorter than COVID has been.
The current vaccines are yet not as well established, nor as protective to newer variants as they should be. People ought to take them, but I am against mandates unless it's healthcare workers.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The current vaccines are yet not as well established, nor as protective to newer variants as they should be.
11.05 billion doses of the COVID vaccines have been administered so far. What else are you looking for?
People ought to take them, but I am against mandates unless it's healthcare workers.
Only for COVID vaccines, though? Or is this your position about vaccines in general?

Shaul

Premium Member
I checked other, so I will explain. In the U.S. federal system of government there are Constitutional divisions and restrictions of powers. The Federal government has certain enumerated powers. Not among them is the power for most mask mandates. The power for those are within the powers of the states. (See the X Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.)

Therefore, in the case of the United States, the original question creates a potential false dichotomy. It is possible to be a supporter of state mask mandates while opposing Federal government mask mandates.

InChrist

Free4ever

I oppose mandates because mandates are not laws which have been democratically voted on. More importantly, I oppose them because I see the recent mandates as having the ultimate purpose of prepping people to fall into line and accept the future mark of the beast.

“It is important to clarify that the measures involved in the mandates, such as masks, social distancing, and injections, are not the primary focus of the mandate. Instead, the mandate is designed to cause people to become used to mandates, which will lead to the eventual acceptance of the ultimate mandate.”

Ultimate Mandate: The Mark of the Beast :: By Charles Gray Adams Jr