• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Question for fellow Christians.

uss_bigd

2 Pet 5-9
5And besides this, using all diligence, add to your
faith virtue, and to virtue knowledge,

6and to knowledge temperance, and to temperance
patience, and to patience godliness,

7and to godliness brotherly kindness, and to
brotherly kindness charity.

8For if these things be in you and abound, they
make you that ye shall be neither barren nor
unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

9But he that lacketh these things is blind and
cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was
purged from his old sins

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
2 Pet 5-9
5And besides this, using all diligence, add to your
faith virtue, and to virtue knowledge,

6and to knowledge temperance, and to temperance
patience, and to patience godliness,

7and to godliness brotherly kindness, and to
brotherly kindness charity.

8For if these things be in you and abound, they
make you that ye shall be neither barren nor
unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

9But he that lacketh these things is blind and
cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was
purged from his old sins
And this would have to do with ... what, exactly?

sojourner

you will figure it out...
So ... what are you saying? That you know something -- some biblical tenet -- that I don't? And this is something that, for my own growth, I have to figure out for myself? You can't tell me what it is?

Logs, motes and eyeballs.

I just thought we were talking about baptism. This passage has nothing to do with baptism.

uss_bigd

So ... what are you saying? That you know something -- some biblical tenet -- that I don't? And this is something that, for my own growth, I have to figure out for myself? You can't tell me what it is?

Logs, motes and eyeballs.

I just thought we were talking about baptism. This passage has nothing to do with baptism.

it has something to do with you sayinh all you need is faith alone

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
On two or three Christian forums I post at, we are having numerous debates about how one is saved.

I believe that each person alive is called and it is up to each person to answer the call.

The conflicting belief is that only people God has chosen to be called are called and anyone who doesn't become saved is because God didn't choose them to be saved.

So I am wondering what the Christians at the RF believe. Do you believe anyone can be saved or only those chosen by God to be saved?

Christine the Bible tells us that God would have it that no one should perish. He calls us through the Holy Spirit, Jesus said in John 3:3 Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God
Romans 10:13 For whosoever call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved
All you have to do is take Him at his word and claim that promise.
Everyone can be saved....He didn't say I will save one, I will save 500 He said All can be saved.......We have freewill, we ourselves have the ability to accept or reject him...The Bible says in Romans 3:23 All has sinned, and come short of the glory of God. The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. The only way not to be saved is by not accepting Jesus. Jesus said there is one way to the Father (God) and that is Jesus.

It seems complicated but it is really simple, just believe in Jesus and accept him as Lord and Saviour. ;)
People get what we call that old time conviction, like when you do something you have done all your life and all of a sudden you feel that it is wrong, that is The Holy Spirit telling you, and drawing you to make that change in your life, and that change is getting saved. We walk by Faith not by sight. Sometime, someplace the Holy Spirit deals with each individual..

I saw on your avatar that your a Christian, and I just pray that maybe I have been able to give you some information that you can use.......

Don't take my word or anyone else's always read the bible and prove it for yourself, Amen, Amen..............In Christian Love Charity

sojourner

it has something to do with you sayinh all you need is faith alone
What we need is God. What we need is to cultivate a relationship with God. Of necessity, that relationship is based upon faith (as opposed to proof). Because of God's relationship with us (which, because of the Incarnation, is one of reconciliation [which you will never understand, because your theology is not informed by the doctrine of the Trinity]), we stand reconciled. All of us.

uss_bigd

[which you will never understand, because your theology is not informed by the doctrine of the Trinity]), we stand reconciled. All of us.

So, i should believe you more than the bible? Where are the alternative interpretations that i asked for?

I am not talking to please anyone here. i know i speak of the truth for it is written.:D

What we need is God. What we need is to cultivate a relationship with God. Of necessity, that relationship is based upon faith (as opposed to proof). Because of God's relationship with us (which, because of the Incarnation, is one of reconciliation .

are you saying we can be saved by faith alone? and baptism or good works or church or religion is necessary?

sojourner

So, i should believe you more than the bible?
No, this isn't about me. It's about the Trinity. Which has been deemed Biblically sound by the people who produced the Bible.
I am not talking to please anyone here.
You're doing a good job.
i know i speak of the truth for it is written.
It's not the truth that's in question, but your understanding of it.
are you saying we can be saved by faith alone?
No, I'm saying that we need God. that's what the text says. You put a spin on it that was not intended ... an excellent example of how you "just read" the Bible.

Jeremy Mason

So, i should believe you more than the bible? Where are the alternative interpretations that i asked for?

I am not talking to please anyone here. i know i speak of the truth for it is written.:D
are you saying we can be saved by faith alone? and baptism or good works or church or religion is necessary?

The way I look at it is on an airplane there is two wings. One wing representing faith and the other wing representing good works. When the plane is in the air, which wing is more important?

Faith and Deeds

14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.
19You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
20You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[d]? 21Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,"[e] and he was called God's friend. 24You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
25In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

I think God want us to excel in all things good. Faith, baptism, good deeds, solid relationships, purity of heart, mind and soul, He wants it all.

uss_bigd

The way I look at it is on an airplane there is two wings. One wing representing faith and the other wing representing good works. When the plane is in the air, which wing is more important?

Faith and Deeds
14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.
19You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
20You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[d]? 21Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,"[e] and he was called God's friend. 24You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
25In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

I think God want us to excel in all things good. Faith, baptism, good deeds, solid relationships, purity of heart, mind and soul, He wants it all.

In a nutshell, God wants us to attain perfection. that if we walk through his path of righteousness, even if we err sometimes as long as its not intentional we will be made perfect. Good job JM!

uss_bigd

No, this isn't about me. It's about the Trinity. Which has been deemed Biblically sound by the people who produced the Bible.

The people who "produced' are different from the people who "compiled" the bible

You're doing a good job.

Thank you very much!!!!

It's not the truth that's in question, but your understanding of it.

No, I'm saying that we need God. that's what the text says. You put a spin on it that was not intended ... an excellent example of how you "just read" the Bible.

Mr. Soujourner all you have done so far is critisize what i read and what i say. for the nth time " could you please provide an alternative explaination to the verses i provided?' focusing on the words i emphasized on.:D

sojourner

for the nth time " could you please provide an alternative explaination to the verses i provided?' focusing on the words i emphasized on.
For the nth time, I have given you alternate explanations, but you prefer to dismiss them out of hand, instead of acknowledging them as such. "You have eyes, but you do not see."

uss_bigd

For the nth time, I have given you alternate explanations, but you prefer to dismiss them out of hand, instead of acknowledging them as such. "You have eyes, but you do not see."

I haven't seen verses... you have not explained how can " keep to what is written" could mean "not to keep what is written and refer to the nicene creed":slap:

sojourner

I haven't seen verses... you have not explained how can " keep to what is written" could mean "not to keep what is written and refer to the nicene creed":slap:
You're not very likely to. That would constitute proof-texting, which, as we all know, doesn't work, and it's extremely poor scholarship. You can either keep dabbling in the kiddie pool, or you can jump in the deep end with some scholarship.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
On two or three Christian forums I post at, we are having numerous debates about how one is saved.

I believe that each person alive is called and it is up to each person to answer the call.

The conflicting belief is that only people God has chosen to be called are called and anyone who doesn't become saved is because God didn't choose them to be saved.

So I am wondering what the Christians at the RF believe. Do you believe anyone can be saved or only those chosen by God to be saved?

What does the Word of God have to say? Here's a starter on the issue:

Matthew 22:14:

"For many are called, but few are chosen."