• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Question About Truth?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
How useful is it to view truth as a measure of how accurately a symbol predicts some thing?

For instance, we might say that a map (symbol) is true to the extent that it predicts some specific terrain.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
How useful is it to view truth as a measure of how accurately a symbol predicts some thing?

For instance, we might say that a map (symbol) is true to the extent that it predicts some specific terrain.

Are "probability" and "truth" the same thing? It seems to me that we don't experience true things that "exist" but structure a world of symbols representing probabilities, like your map predicting the specific terrain. These are often so useful that they are mistaken for "true" and in many instances that will cause no problems.

But when I develop a habit of seeing models of reality constructed in my mind as "true" rather than related to specific experiences and probabilities, it becomes much, much easier to fall under the spell of those constructs, lose my ability to act responsibly, and open the way to great suffering.