• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question about Joshua

Levite

Higher and Higher
Interpretation or translation?

If you mean translation, obviously there's always the Stone edition Tanakh, put out by Artscroll, or Feldheim, or Mesorah...one of those guys. You can't get much more Orthodox than that in translation. If you really want to get specific, I think Nosson Scherman, who did the Stone Tanakh, has a Book of Yehoshua with translation and commentary that he did for Artscroll. Don't know if that's still around.

If you mean interpretation, like commentary, then get a set of Mikraot Gedolot (or if you're feeling very Ashkenazi, a set of Mikraos Gedolos) for Nevi'im/Ketuvim (or Kesuvim). Personally, I like the Maor edition Mikraot Gedolot. Nice clear printing, all the good commentators, good sturdy binding, pleasing to the eye. But as you please.

If you don't have a seforim store near you, I recommend Jewish Books,Seforim and Judaica.. Again, can't get much more Orthodox.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
...(or if you're feeling very Ashkenazi, a set of Mikraos Gedolos)...

Or if you're feeling very Sephardic, you can get Kaplan's translation of Me'Am Lo'ez (The Torah Anthology) by Maznaim publishing.

arimoff

Or if you're feeling very Sephardic, you can get Kaplan's translation of Me'Am Lo'ez (The Torah Anthology) by Maznaim publishing.

most of Kaplan's books or translations are very interesting. He was a real Torah scholar.

TalAbrams

Levite said it best but if some of his recommendations are a bit out of your reach you can start online. I cannot post a link or URL until I have 15 posts but if you Google: early jewish writings you will find what you want.