• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question about Islam

JRMcC

Hi everybody, I have a quick question about prophets in Islam. Why is the prophet Muhammed - peace be upon him - considered Islam's very last prophet?
I remember hearing an Islamic scholar talking about past prophets. He said that Islam did not begin 1500 years ago, rather it is as old as the Earth itself. He said that prophets taught right conduct and reverence for the one God from the beginning of time.
This sort of thinking reminds me of an aspect of Buddhist thought; Buddhas come into being every so often to teach the Dharma that is inevitably lost over time.

Do Muslims believe that even in 5000 years God will not send another prophet?
I hope my question was clear, and I look forward to learning more about this :)

- James M.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Hi everybody, I have a quick question about prophets in Islam. Why is the prophet Muhammed - peace be upon him - considered Islam's very last prophet?
Peace be on you.
Answer from Ahmadiyya-Muslim Understanding:
1-Majority of Muslims understand him (pbuh) as the very last Prophet.
2-However, Ahmadiyya-Muslims understand him (pbuh) as the Chief-of-all-Prophets AND the-very-last-Prophet-with-last-Religious-Law.......Subordinate-to-him Prophet is promised by Allah and him, who has come as Promised-Messiah-Mahdi [many non-Ahmadiyya-Muslims are waiting for Promised-Messiah and Mahdi to come as two persons.]

3- As to your specific question why he (pbuh) is the very last ---- From Ahmadiyya view: The religion began with Prophet Adam, and continued to evolve around 'Rights of God and Rights of His creation'. At Islam, Divine law became perfect and universal. Thus that made the bearer, the perfect Prophet and since it was last law, that is why he (pbuh) was last law giving Prophet......He (pbuh) prophesied the weakness of his people in latter days and foretold the coming of a reformer (and Khilafat); according to understanding from Quran and sayings of Holy Prophet (pbuh), the status of reformer is subordinate-Prophet, with no new teaching. [Details in recent and old essays in here at Ahmadiyya DIR, and in the official site alislam.org]

I remember hearing an Islamic scholar talking about past prophets. He said that Islam did not begin 1500 years ago, rather it is as old as the Earth itself. He said that prophets taught right conduct and reverence for the one God from the beginning of time.
He might meant the beginning of religion [version 1] at the time of first Prophet.
God revealed Himself to human. That is even why in extremely ancient people, who had no way to meet each other, concept of High Deity is present. One-God sent His teaching right from beginning, then after sometimes, people forget and make associates with Him, Then reformer comes and remind so on.
Secular Viewpoints Examined
pix.gif

pix.gif

The Concept of God among the Aborigines of Australia

[online, Revelation Rationality Knowledge and Truth]

This sort of thinking reminds me of an aspect of Buddhist thought; Buddhas come into being every so often to teach the Dharma that is inevitably lost over time.
But according to Quran, the same person does not come, metaphorically someone with properties like a past person may be sent........ [e.g.Elijah came as John the Baptist]

I hope my question was clear, and I look forward to learning more about this...

- James M.
Quran says Prophet Muhammad is likened as Prophet Moses.
After 1400 years, there was a reformer Prophet Messiah.
Same is the case here, so it is not a matter of 5000 years. After same 1400 years to Holy Prophet (pbuh), his Messiah has come [according to Ahmadiyya-Muslims].

Last edited:

Khudayar

I hope my question was clear, and I look forward to learning more about this :)

- James M.

Salam.

Yes, Muslims believe Prophet Muhammad is the last of the Prophets.

And Yes, Islam promotes the belief that there have been many Prophets up to now. And that each and every one of the Prophets promoted the monotheistic belief.

And Yes, Islam begins with the creation of men. And unlike in Christianity and Judaism, according to Islam, Adam as the first human being on earth was a Prophet also.
And it would be illogical if he was not. Because, as Islam states, "this world is not created for nothing", there is the reason of worship and getting closer to the Lord. And since (as the Quran states) "every community needs a guide" in this journey, Adam had to be a Prophet of God.

And yes, Prophet Muhammad is the last Prophet according to Quran and Islam.

But that does not mean that we have no guides right now. According to sunni narrations, the spiritual scholars of the believers are like the Israelite Prophets (meaning that they preserve and protect the religion and guide people, just like the Israelite Prophets did in the absence of Moses). And sunni and shia narrations mention that there are 12 of these successors. Sunnis don't have the names of them but shias and sufis do. And what matters is that sunni-shia-sufi, etc. all Muslims (except wahhabis) believe in the (re)appearance of the last of the twelve successors and guides; Imam al-Mahdi, in the end times. He, along with Jesus will establish justice and peace on eaarth.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hello there, kind Sir.

Yes, I presume all Muslims believe Muhammad is the last Prophet as the Quran says in 33:40 which says:

"Muhammad is not the father of [any] one of your men, but [he is] the Messenger of Allah and last of the prophets. And ever is Allah , of all things, Knowing."

I hope this answers your question.

Last edited: