• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a Q for MJ

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I am starting to become more interested in Messianic Judaism and so I am wanting to ask a question or two.

Is there unity among Messianic Jews, or is there different sects?

And where can I find out more about Messianic Judaism?

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
I am starting to become more interested in Messianic Judaism and so I am wanting to ask a question or two.

Is there unity among Messianic Jews, or is there different sects?

Sects? I don't know if you could call them sects. However, there are different umbrella organizations that congregations belong to.

To oversimplify, there are two basic groups. There are 'Hebrew Christians' who's roots come from the church and are seeking to explore the Jewish roots of their faith. Then there are 'Messianic Jews' who come from various Jewish backgrounds, and are seeking the meaning of Yeshua in a Jewish context. The two groups, don't interact much. I belonged to a MJ congregation for many years, and know we didn't have much interaction with the local Hebrew Christian group. I dropped by once to their Friday night services. Not a shabbat service, it was a prayer/social service. They met on Sunday to worship. The gulf... just too wide. Both groups would call this DIR home, but frankly the few (very few) people I've seen come here were all MJ and none of those were 'Hebrew Christan'.

And where can I find out more about Messianic Judaism?
I'd start with Green Gaia's Overview. Most of the articles here are mine, they may be of interest. Google of course, keeping in mind that both groups I mention call themselves MJ and therefore conflicting opinion is a given.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Is there a messianic Judaism, that is closer to Catholicism, rather then not? As such, I believe in Saints and intercession and many Catholic things, but desire a more profound Jewish "mark". Is there such a thing? Or would I have to give up many of the Catholic doctrines I believe in to be more..Jewish again?

Shermana

Heretic
The idea of intercession of the dead "Saints" is found in Jewish apocrypha (which I personally ascribe to) in 2 Maccabees, and the Sacrament of Bread and Wine was originally part of the Early Jewish Church.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
The idea of intercession of the dead "Saints" is found in Jewish apocrypha (which I personally ascribe to) in 2 Maccabees, and the Sacrament of Bread and Wine was originally part of the Early Jewish Church.
Yes Maccabees talks of prayer for the dead. And the Bread and Wine of Eucharist is not new.

Are you saying yes to my question?

Shermana

Heretic
More than just praying for the dead, but also the Dead praying for the living.

My answer is a sort of "yes", in which the original form of Messianic Judaism does in fact contain several "doctrines" which the later Orthodox movements kept. You can be a Messianic Jew and still believe certain "Orthodox" things you do, but you may have difficulty finding others to commune with.