• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Pleasing Interview With Painted Wolf

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Today we are going to ask Painted Wolf the sort of tough, probing questions about her allegedly innocent involvement in New Hampshire politics that every single one of the major American media outlets has pointedly ignored. But before we get into that, let's introduce her: Among many other things, Painted Wolf is a born naturalist, a walking encyclopedia of scientific fact, and an artist with a pronounced spiritual side. So, let's ask her:

What is your preferred name for deity, and why isn't it "The Grand Kumquat"?

Long term, what are your career plans, and why don't they include peanut shell inspector?

What three things do you most enjoy about New Hampshire?

If you could take a vacation anywhere in the world, where would you go? Why there?

Have you done any painting lately? If so, what medium did you use and what was the subject?

What are four of your favorite video games, and what life lessons have you learned from them?

What's the best way to decline an offer from a telemarketer?

Do you like to wander? Or, are you more inclined to set a goal and stick to it?

If you could discover only one new fossil from the Precambrian Explosion, what would be the significance of that fossil?

Who are three of your favorite paleontologists? And why is each a favorite?

Please describe the room you're currently in and how it's decorated.

How's Jamie doing?

What's one way in which you and Jamie compliment each other as people?

What area of science do you currently find most exciting and why?

What is an advantage of sexual reproduction over asexual reproduction that might explain why sexual reproduction seems to have been favored by evolution?

How well do you get along with your parents?

Please name four of the six RFers you most want to take on a road trip to Canada with you.

Do you feel you've made full and complete use of your computer's operating system, or do you have vague feelings that something is still lacking in your life?

In what way do spiritual teachings and insights help you to understand yourself? Would you give us an example of where that's occurred?

If the theory of evolution is really true, why can't we find any missing links between humans and politicians despite the fact we are said to share a common ancestor with them?

Is there a difference between being sentimentally attached to someone and loving them? Are the two things compatible or incompatible?

Do you fully support the Laramide Revolution?

What area of personal knowledge do you often wish you had more time to develop?

Is life sacred? If so, is only human life sacred, or is all life sacred?

How would you characterize your political thinking?

What's your favorite mythological character and what makes him or her of special significance to you?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
What is your preferred name for deity, and why isn't it "The Grand Kumquat"?
I generally just use Creator.
As a wolf, I'm not a big fan of citrus fruit. Though I do respect the Satsuma for its foe vanquishing capabilities. ;)

Long term, what are your career plans, and why don't they include peanut shell inspector?
Long term I'm hoping to get my PhD in Paleontology or Comparative Biology. Possibly get a job in a museum or university.
Hey I used to do other peoples laundry, inspecting Peanuts sounds ok to me.

What three things do you most enjoy about New Hampshire?
The wilderness areas. I live in a town with more of any given animal than humans (human population 82), yet just 18 miles down the road is my University with thousands of people.
The politics (kinda'). New Hampshire doesn't listen to anyone else. "Live free or die" is an apropriate motto for us. Its hard to discribe the attitude here but not only are we tightwads with our money, we are strongly environmental, and shun just about any government interfearance in private lives. When the Supreme Court ruled that Local Governments can eminant domain land for private businesses, we eminant domained one of their vacation homes. Just to teach them a lesson. :D
We also passed a law for same sex couples to have equal rights with civil unions. The only state to do so without a court mandate.
Its almost scitzophrenic to tell the truth.

If you could take a vacation anywhere in the world, where would you go? Why there?
New Mexico. Friends, Family and Fossils.
What more could a girl want?
I've also only been there once, and that was a bit rushed. I'd love to go and have more time and less stress to really appreciate it. Its so very different from N.H!

Have you done any painting lately? If so, what medium did you use and what was the subject?
I don't really do any painting. I work mostly with pen and ink or pencil... lately I've been drawing a lot of worms. Lots and lots of worms. And other invertebrates for my Invertebrate Zoology class.
Part of our lab is to draw specimens to learn their anatomy. Thats been keeping my artistic side pretty busy. Over break I'm hoping to do some vertebrate doodles, lots of keen new fossils have been found that I'd like to do reconstructions of.

What are four of your favorite video games, and what life lessons have you learned from them?
Oooh this is tough one... hmm... just four.
Frogger: (atari 2600) don't play in the road.
Homeworld: (PC) Suprizes come from where you least expect them.
Amber-journeys byond: (PC) Just because you can't be hurt doesn't mean you can't be scared.
Age of Empires III: (PC) Always make friends with the Natives. :cool: Just because we lost the first round doesn't mean we can't win in the simulation game. lol.

What's the best way to decline an offer from a telemarketer?
I tend to just say NO with the same voice you use to scold a child or a dog. Works pretty good for me.

Do you like to wander? Or, are you more inclined to set a goal and stick to it?
Oh I totally stick to... ooh shiny.
I'm terrible, you should see my work areas! I'm always bouncing from one prodject to the next... its one of the things I've been working to correct while I'm at University.

sorry out of time for now... I'll try to get more answers later. :cool:

wa:do

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Thank you for an exciting first part of the first round. Looking forward to the rest!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
If you could discover only one new fossil from the Precambrian Explosion, what would be the significance of that fossil?
tough one.
Lets see, I'd love to find the ancestor to the arthropods. Something that was just about ready to make a tough exoskeleton but hadn't quite gotten it yet. That is the biggest success of the Cambrian "explosion" right there, hard body parts. Makes you much easier to fossilize as well as being tough and good looking.

Who are three of your favorite paleontologists? And why is each a favorite?
currently... lets see.
Paul Sereno, he's been hard to miss in the National Geographics... lol
He also has been finding lots of really neat things and in general doing a lot to keep Paleontology in the public eye. (without making it too hacknied or to media starish)
Philip Currie, I've always admired this guy. He's not as media hungry as some others seem but he is terribly influential.
Richard Fortey, he is a terrific writer and he taught me to love Trilobites. I had never really ventured into the invertebrate paleontology field until I read his book "Trilobite! eyewitness to evolution". Thanks to him I have a deep appreciation for these creatures. Also I now know that the Scandinavians don't have any swears except for the word "farn" which is roughly translated as "devil take it" or "darn it". Oh and don't talk in a British accent in a bar in the outback of Australia.

Please describe the room you're currently in and how it's decorated.
currently I'm in Jamie's parents dining room. Its got a bunch of potted plants, a velvet last supper on the wall, seasonal decorations for thanksgiving, hes moms collection of ruby red glassware... and it looks like the grandkids were here tearing about the place. ;)

How's Jamie doing?
Jamie is doing wonderful, and says hello by the way. :D

What's one way in which you and Jamie compliment each other as people?
Jamie keeps me grounded, I do tend to wander a bit from time to time.
I'd like to think I keep Jamie afloat when a bit too grounded.
Seriously I can't begin to describe all the wonderful ways Jamie makes my life better and compliments me. Even the ways we differ are just right. Jamie is musical (I just learned to carry a tune in a bucket) technological (technology and I don't see eye to eye) witty (something that does match between us is our humor)
In general all the things that being together for, eleven years now, brings.
The Mrs Peel to my Steed, the Rose to my Doctor... (both fangeekery we share)

What area of science do you currently find most exciting and why?
right now? Comparative Biology and evolutionary development. But then I've always loved those areas. Right now I've been learning about the Invertebrates and gaining an appreciation for their wonderful diversity. So many worms! And now I know that most of them aren't "worms" at all!
So many strange creatures out there to stir the imagination!

What is an advantage of sexual reproduction over asexual reproduction that might explain why sexual reproduction seems to have been favored by evolution?
Well both have their advantages, which is why asexual reproduction is so popular among so many species.. or both.
But sexual reproduction brings amazing benefits in terms of adaptation and genetic evolution. One thing an asexual reproducer can't easily do is change... each child is a clone of the adult and so mutations happen very slowly. Sex mixes things up, genes from mom and dad are shuffled around in new ways, and mutations happen each generation as the bits are sorted out. This allows for good changes to be conserved while bad ones get weeded out. In asexual animals the bad changes will stick from one generation to another or worse simply lead to extinction.

What I find really fascinating right now is how many animals have it both ways. They reproduce asexually for part of their lives to keep populations at terrifically high numbers but then switch to sexual reproduction either as another part of their life cycle, or when the going gets tough. (to boost genetic diversity).

How well do you get along with your parents?
Very well :D
Though we do disagree on both Religion and Politics, but we make an effort to avoid them... I did inherit my love of debate/arguing from them though, so you know how good we are at avoiding the subjects.

Well here is bit two sad to say its way past my bedtime and I have lots of family coming over tomorrow... lots of screaming children running around.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Thank you for such interesting responses, Painted Wolf! Looking forward to the next installment!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Please name four of the six RFers you most want to take on a road trip to Canada with you.
ooh... tough one... hmm...
Kreeden, Mr Spinkles, Sunstone, Jay, Michael
Ok, I went with five... one of you is a mystery guest!!
I'd love you meet you all and I think I could have some very interesting discussions with everyone... even if we didn't agree on everything. Some to talk religion, some to talk politics, some science and history.

Do you feel you've made full and complete use of your computer's operating system, or do you have vague feelings that something is still lacking in your life?
Oh I doubt I'll ever get it all figured out.

In what way do spiritual teachings and insights help you to understand yourself? Would you give us an example of where that's occurred?
Mostly they help me step back and assess my life. A dream or vision can be a key to my subconscious. Keeping Grandfather Coyote in mind can help me keep perspective on my circumstances such as handling a bad day. Sometimes I can swear I can hear him giggling.

If the theory of evolution is really true, why can't we find any missing links between humans and politicians despite the fact we are said to share a common ancestor with them?
Obviously because politicians aren't human. They are evolved from some unfortunate life form... I dare not assign an ancestor for fear of insulting some noble slug, or worm.

Is there a difference between being sentimentally attached to someone and loving them? Are the two things compatible or incompatible?
Absolutely, sentimentality can be mistaken for a lukewarm love but it is just a desire to hold on to something long gone.
I suppose they can be compatible, but sentimentality is a superficial thing that can easily decay genuine love. If you dwell on a glorified past you loose touch with the now, and make it impossible for the now to compete.

Do you fully support the Laramide Revolution?
I'm all for it. :D
I love mountains... terrific things to climb and providers of a terrific variety of habitats.

What area of personal knowledge do you often wish you had more time to develop?
I would like to have a better understanding of language and linguistic evolution.

Is life sacred? If so, is only human life sacred, or is all life sacred?
All life is sacred.... in fact I would go further than that and say that everything that exists is sacred. In my religion everything has a soul and deserves respect. You could not survive without everything around you regardless of it being alive or not and we are all made of the same atoms.

How would you characterize your political thinking?
Highly individualistic. I'd like to think I'm rather keen on common sense, but I realize I'm also a bit quixotic. I'm all for personal rights and keeping the government out of the home. I'm "pro-gun" but I want guns to be licensed like cars. (ie. everyone needs to be trained to use one, have it registered and inspected regularly and you can loose your license and guns if you mess up... and there have to be reasonable limits as to what you can and can't own.)
I'm both pro-life and pro-choice... I don't think the government has any place telling a woman she can't get an abortion... if you want to limit abortion, provide alternatives and education.
I'm very keen on education and health care and think both are more important to our future than bombs. I think we can stay a perfectly strong nation despite cutting spending. I hate stupid political spending like roads to nowhere, while bridges collapse...
I hate flag waving, no questions asked patriotism!
I hate the pledge of allegiance its a hollow display of cronyism. I give my allegiance to the constitution, not an empty, corruptible symbol of power.
True patriots question the government... they always want to change things because things always need to be changed.

What's your favorite mythological character and what makes him or her of special significance to you?
Grandfather Coyote without a doubt. (grandfather is an honorific)
Its tricky to explain why. He is a great teacher, usually by example (he shows you what not to do)
He is a trickster, creator, destroyer, good and evil, lover and warrior as well as a coward and a slob... he is whatever he needs to be. He dies, a lot... but he comes back.
He's creators "right hand man".

He also keeps an eye on me, as well as kicking my butt when I need it. :cool:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
An Excellent First Round, Painted Wolf! I'll have the second and final round of questions up sometime in the next day or so. Thank you so much for an engaging first round!