• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Need for Unity?

Pagans, often enough, are faced with harassment and discrimination, be it that they are fired from their jobs or disowned by their families, or fear that if they made their beliefs public, they'd be fired from their jobs and disowned by their families. Most often, its an occasional snub, a few lost friends, nothing you'd need a lawyer for. But will it stay that way?

Americans now have as their president a man who does not recognize paganism as a religion. We have congressmen fearful of "satanic" rituals pagan troops might perform on our military bases under the "guise" of religious freedom. Given the recent move backwards on issues such as our environment and civil rights, that doesn't sit too well with me. Is it farfetched to think that one day, a bill might pass which refuses to recognize pagan traditions as religions?

So that doesn't happen, some in the pagan community feel the need to unite under a clear voice which would demand and protect our rights; to create a true community out of the fastest growing religion in the world.

Here are some ideas of how this could be done:

-Groups of pagans could move into and create neighborhoods for themselves in cities across the country. That way, we can live and practice our beliefs surrounded by people with like minds, without fear of discrimination of our neighbors. In Minneapolis, Minnesota, the gay-lesbian-bisexual-transgendered community took a virtual slum and transformed it into one of the trendiest districts in the city.

-Found Pagan-run businesses and shop at them. This would reinforce the sense of community and unity amongst us. I've known folks who beam with pride knowing their car was repaired at a christian auto mechanic's shop. We could have that pride, too!

-Get "out there"! I have no idea how many pagans live near me, but statistics say its more than a few. Have groups of pagans march in local parades, hold largely publicized public festivals. That way, pagans can find a community ripe with information, or a place to find a specific path. Also, non-pagans can see just how big a group we really are, and that we're growing.

I'm aware of some disadvantages such actions might have. We would open ourselves up as targets for discrimination, to be sure. Some lawyers willing to work for very little or even nothing would need to be available to handle the lawsuits sure to come. Then there is the difficulty of forming so many different traditions and paths into a single community. Problems deciding the "hierarchy" of the community, and loyalty we'd each have towards our individual practices over the rest of the community would present themselves. Putting aside our differences will be difficult. There are also those who, for whatever reasons, cannot reveal that they are pagan. Those of us lucky enough to be able to emerge from the broom closet should put effort into making a community where others can feel safe to follow.

And so I'm posing these questions to you now: Do you feel pagans need a true community? What are some things we can do to achieve said community? What are your fears about doing so?

I am really curious as to what pagans think about this topic.

(At the Pagan Pride event {paganpride.org} in the Twin Cities this October, my teacher is planning on holding a forum on the topic of Uniting into a Community. These ideas come largely from the discussion he and my fellow foster-siblings had about that forum)

OneStraw Revolutionary said:
(At the Pagan Pride event {paganpride.org} in the Twin Cities this October, my teacher is planning on holding a forum on the topic of Uniting into a Community. These ideas come largely from the discussion he and my fellow foster-siblings had about that forum)

I wondering when and where this forum will take place? Or if you point me in the direction to find more information about this. Thanks. :)

(I will come back and answer the main question on this post when I have more time.)

KSojourner said:
I wondering when and where this forum will take place? Or if you point me in the direction to find more information about this. Thanks. :)

The event is Pagan Pride, Twin Cities.
2006 Event: Saturday October 7, 10:00 am - 7:00 pm, Sabathani Community Center, 310 E 38th St. Minneapolis
Events benefits Groveland Emergency Food Shelf

As for the forum, the schedule has yet to be solidified, but generally such events would be held in the afternoon. Once I know more information, I'll send a private message.

As for the event itself:

I cannot remember if there is a cost, but I'm assuming there is. If so, it isn't much.

I'll be volunteering at the booth for the Old Belief Society(http://oldbelief.org/), more specifically their temple in Minneapolis, Neimheadh an Srutha, Temple of the River.

I hope to see you attend. Spread the info to any pagans you know. As for those not living in Minnesota, this website (http://www.paganpride.org/where/where.html) offers information on Pagan Pride events close to you.

OneStraw Revolutionary said:
-Groups of pagans could move into and create neighborhoods for themselves in cities across the country. That way, we can live and practice our beliefs surrounded by people with like minds, without fear of discrimination of our neighbors. In Minneapolis, Minnesota, the gay-lesbian-bisexual-transgendered community took a virtual slum and transformed it into one of the trendiest districts in the city.

This may seem like a good idea, but at the same time, it could cause problems. One such problem would be the seeming isolation of the Pagan population. This could end up going both ways - being viewed as an self-isolated group or being isolated as a group because you have a particular stomping grounds. Another thing to think about is that just because there are like minded people around you, doesn't mean that discrimination is going to stop. -Found Pagan-run businesses and shop at them. This would reinforce the sense of community and unity amongst us. I've known folks who beam with pride knowing their car was repaired at a christian auto mechanic's shop. We could have that pride, too!

(A side note: While the GLBT community seems to be concentrated in that particular area of MPLS, I don't think that they were the reason for "transforming it into one of the trendiest districts." There are many factors that go with it being trending. Think about how "correlation does not equal causation.")

-Found Pagan-run businesses and shop at them. This would reinforce the sense of community and unity amongst us. I've known folks who beam with pride knowing their car was repaired at a christian auto mechanic's shop. We could have that pride, too!

We already have this to some extent as there are Pagan-run shops in many places. But I would have to say that my "pride" for the Pagan community would not come from these types of retail shops. While they might be there as a substiture for community, we can't forget that they are there to do business.

Part of the "pride" that comes from using a shop that is run by someone of your religion has more to do with trust. You are supposed to be able to trust someone of your own religion. Therefore, I really don't think this has to do with pride.

-Get "out there"! I have no idea how many pagans live near me, but statistics say its more than a few. Have groups of pagans march in local parades, hold largely publicized public festivals. That way, pagans can find a community ripe with information, or a place to find a specific path. Also, non-pagans can see just how big a group we really are, and that we're growing.

Yes, there is quite the Pagan community in and around MPLS as can be seen by the number of stores, the CUUPs chapter (which I've heard is very active), and a few other activities. I think that this would be a good idea, as well.

And so I'm posing these questions to you now: Do you feel pagans need a true community? What are some things we can do to achieve said community? What are your fears about doing so?

This is a really difficult question to answer due to the very nature that most Pagans like to "be on their own." When discussing community in the religious sense, most people take that to mean having a church. I personally think that this would be beneficial, but it would have to been done in a different way than the traditional church building, clergy, congragation senario for the larger Pagan population to be interested.