• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A long ramble on reigous tolerance, or the lack thereof

EDIT:the reason i posted this here, other than my own philosophical leanings, is because I am interested in the pagan view on tolerance. I know the monotheistic one:My book says I am right. 8)
Ahhhh... religous tolerance. What I want here are simply thoughts on tolerance. I will voice mine, sound off if you want to. 1st: there is no such thing as religous tolerance. The subject is too close to home. I am as close as one can get, and I have still done some pretty mean stuff in my day (Ionce chalked a baphomet on my neighbors door whilst drunk and watched her spend the next two weeks rampaging about smudging her house and casting mirror spells while listening to her talk about the black lodge that wa assaulting her.... yea, I was young and mean spirited. But MAN it was funny. I got the idea from Pete Carrolls writings, to give credit where it is due). But i digress. Everyone with a religion cares entirely too much about it to ever be tolerant. The best they can do is think 'the poor lost lamb' whilst sadly shaking their head at the obviously doomed wretch. I myslef, being a Chaos Magickian, have been accused of being: naive, evil, satanic, confused, and criminally and philosophically insane amongst other things by some suppossedly very tolerant folks. And I consider myself an honorable enough kind of fellow. Just don't cross me. But that comes frombeing half Italian, not my philosophies.
2nd: There never will be any such thing as religous tolerance. Religions do not seek to evolve, thus negating improvement. They seek to capture the glory of the past, not the promise of tommorow. But, mainly, when it comes to religion, everyone has an excuse for their intolerance. The belief that it is mistrust, not intolerance is a great one. Also: the claim that since 1000 years ago, in a generally murderous period of human history, someone did something to someone that someone now has a (tenuous at best) claim against the other descendant for. This is about as good as telling me since my family were slave owners that I... what... your family immigrated from Ireland and Italy less than a hundred years ago only to endure bloody well near as much racial intolerance once they got here? oh well.. um.. er.... you're still white!
So basically, I am not optimistic about it at all. Now, this does not mean that I do not believe in civilized debate. I do. But I also know the other guy is probably silently feeling sorry for my soon to be toasty and doomed soul. :drink:

I'm a pagan I work with the Kemetic Pantheon , commonly known as Egyptian , as a pagan i belive you have to accept other faiths since what you are worshiping is the god within , this beign what you focus on and who's will affects the world without, to try and deny any one their right to belive is selfish and , in teh words of the immortal cartmen "f*&%king weak, dude" what does your relegion say since as iI take it you are also a pagan in the vaguer sence of the word - Chaos magick was one of the facets of ritualistic work i looked into before choosing Kemetic Ritualism , oh yeah i am decended from those folks they liked to chain down there in the south but to hell with trying dredge that sh..... yeah its all bs but i tolerate and give every one a chance to voice thier view even those damn annoying jehovah witnesses

Uberkinder
nuk tem-khepera kheper t-esef her uart mut-f ...

my view, as a Chaoist, is one of assimilation, instead of tolerance. other peoples religions fascinate me for theri good things and repulse me for theri negative. I am a magpie of sorts. i steal from religions as i see fit and incorporate it into my paradigms. i have even worked with the egyptian dieties several times, to some most impressive results. :mrgreen:

well there is nothing wrong with having the best of all worlds as it were , i find the most tolerant and free thinking people are the ones who are able to do that, learn and evolve - truly the essence of life .

i would like to hear what rituals you used so i could add them to my meager grimoire

While this one is not remedial by any means, it is one not so ensconced in Chaoist lore as to be unusable to another. Here we go:
From Phil Hines' Condensed Chaos(some paraphrasing for expediency)
RA-HOOR-KHUIT PATHWORKING

This pathworking should be prefaced with a relaxation exercise. It should be done in a position that allows you to be relaxed and attentive to the narrative. For best results, read it onto a cassette recorder.
You are beginning to realx-listen to my voice and let yourself be carried along-feel yourself drifting in darkness and slowly become aware of a rocking sensation. You find yourself sitting upright in a boat-the wide blue waters of the nilestretch before you. The sky is bright blue above you and you can feel the noonday sun about you.A cool breeze wafts from the sails of the ship as it drifts along the river. In the prow of the boat stands a man with the head of a long beaked bird-it is the god THOTH, your guide on this journey.
As you drift along you can see people walking along the palm lined shore, and glimpse the tall columns of some far away temple. Ahead of you, rising over the dunes, you can see the apex of some mighty pyramid, your destination.
Now your craft is gliding to rest by a wooden jetty. Thoth gestures with his right hand, silently pointing you on your way. You clambor out of the boat and ahead, you see the path to the pyramid, a stone paved avenue, guarded by a statue of the insrutible sphinx. You walk slowly towards the sphinx and pause to relect on it's four Magickal powers: to KNOW to WILLto DARE and to keep SILENT. For a moment it feels as thoug the sphinx'sstone gaze is testing your resolve, and then the spell breaks and you continue on your way. You walk slowly along the stone path, feeling the heat of the stones against your feet, until you reach the foot of the pyramid....

I will finish this up tommorow, if you don't mind, i need to retire for the evening soon.