• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A long prayer

vtunie

I just find that reading the following helps me whenever I seek to escape dark thoughts of all types. If it helps anyone else at all, I am happy. If I have chosen to post it in the wrong or inappropriate place, may it be erased quickly and without unworthy fuss.

As for "which faith", I suppose the best way to describe it would be a kind of universalism. Where did I take this from? As my own adaptation of the liturgy of a extremely well-known denomination.

---

In the name of universal love and wisdom, may grace always be with us all, and with our spirit.

Let us acknowledge our sins, that we be fit to celebrate the holy mystery. I confess to all and to you that I have done excessive wrong: in word, thought, and deed; in all I have failed to do. And in my faults, my most grievous faults, I beseech you all to pray for me. May universal compassion lead us all into eternal light.

Let us pray in peace and for peace from all high. For the all-highest mercy. That our souls be made pure with spirit. For peace everywhere; for universal integrity. That fear, sadness, and distress yield to faith, hope, and love. For the wisdom of our teachers, the counsel of our rulers, the strength of our adversaries. For the city and for the world. For the wellness of the aether, the fusing of the airs, the fecundity of the soil, and for peace in all time. That the traveling, distressed, captive, and sick be delivered and healed. That we all be spared from anguish and anger. May mercy assist, inform, and preserve us; for it is love and wisdom we seek.

The glory of the spirit descends and brigs peace to the material world. The word of the spirit illuminates darkness. May it cleanse us of sin and halt our decay. May highest love and wisdom guide us light. For there is only light beyond in the end, and light only beyond.

May our hearts be freed of temptation and evil, that our spirit be worthy of the highest love and wisdom.

As it said: when they asked him, when shall the dead find peace at the end of the world, he replied: what you seek is already here; but you know it not.

Therefore, why are you sad, my soul, and why do you torment me? I will strive to the spirit, that gives joy to my youth.

May my labors not go for naught; may my heart and my hands be equally pure.

May love and wisdom always be with us and with our spirit. It is said: at that time, he told his disciples: whatsoever you pray for, trust that you shall receive; and forgive everything to everyone, that only thus may you be forgiven. Therein the glory of the word of the spirit.

I beg you all, do not deny hope. What we pray for, we believe; it is a mystery we may not be given to know: therefore we pray for grace if not gnosis. Not only the sacred myths but all experience tells us: light illuminates suffering, but without suffering fades under our excesses. Do not mock whatever gives hope to others; do not in your mocking extinguish the hope within you. Though our thoughts be confused, our souls torn, our spirits tainted; yet in the fumes of sadness and distress, in the prospect of darkness and destruction, we find sense and balm and purity in the faith and hope and love that bring wisdom: not only here and now but in the beyond. We have heard stories of the ones given gnosis: with one voice they assure us, be not afraid. If the light beyond, though it be already within us, be only fulfilled through suffering and perseverance; then let us live, laugh, and love, frugally and with patience, and with good cheer for the city and the world.

I believe in a transcendent spirit that permeates everything, visible and invisible, and brings to life from within everything in the material world. That our suffering here leads to respite, in a universal light to ascend to and rejoin after the body has been put to rest. That our deeds bear on the junction of our souls: before, during, after, and beyond our material life. That the holy spirit is the universal wisdom and love, as we have been taught, and that its word is life. I believe in the community of the universal continuum. I profess my existence upon my death, and strive for life everlasting. Amen.

The spirit informs the bread and all the fruit of our labors that sustain the strength of our body in this life. Likewise the spirit informs the wine and all the fruit of our labors that sustain the strength of our soul in this life. In utmost gratitude we offer these sustaining fruit to the holy spirit: and may our hearts and our hands be pure, that the fruit of our labors be worthy of continuity with the holy spirit.

We offer this sacrifice for our salvation; that our hearts be cleansed of evil thought, and be worthy of saturation with light, through the eternal unity of love and wisdom.
May grace be upon us and our spirit. Surging our hearts up to the light, we give thanks to the spirit immanent. It is proper and just.

It is proper and just thus to give thanks to the very fabric of the world, seen and unseen. For we have been well taught in word and deed that salvation in the material world demands sacrifice, to give which the spirit is ever ready.

Holy, holy, holy is the divine spirit that permeates the very fabric of this and all worlds; and blessed is all that bears its light.

As it is told, the teacher Jesus Christ, who spoke of the light incarnate within us, in the face of imminent arrest and crucifixion broke bread with his gathered disciples, and told them: Take this and eat it; for this too is my body, about to be sacrificed for you. And after they had eaten, he took up a chalice of wine, and offered it to them, saying: Take this and drink it; for this too is a chalice of my blood, about to flow in abnegation of sin: even for you and for the many; do it in memory of me.

The mystery of faith. There is no light without suffering, and no suffering without deliverance. And life is reborn even in death, in body here, in spirit everywhere; in one and in all.

May the holy spirit inform this bread and this wine of life, as we are grateful for its sustenance in body and in soul.

May gratitude and grace sustain the dead and the living, in the oneness of divine love and wisdom. May it sustain us, and our families, and our friends, and our teachers; those who have labored for us and against us. May it sustain our adversaries, for in it they and we are equal. The city and the world be suffused with the holy spirit.

Through which, and with which, and in which, in the oneness of universal love and wisdom, is all the glory of life everlasting. Amen.

And thus sprung from the holy spirit, and with faith in its suffusion within us, we gather our strength for this entreaty: may the holy spirit grant to us sustenance, forgiveness, and delivery from evil; may we sustain, forgive, and withhold from evil; and may the same be granted to all, for the sake of life everlasting; here and now, and in time, and in the world without end.

As it is said: he told his disciples: I leave you in peace, that you may do peace for me and for you: irrespective of sins, but only for faith and universal well-being; for the sake of life everlasting. May love and wisdom be with us and with our spirit. Let us now make peace with the city and with the world.

May the holy spirit cleanse our sins and fill us with grace. May the holy spirit cleanse our sins and give us peace. And even in these gifts is the holy spirit, and blessed are those worthy to receive them. Am I worthy of the spirit within me? May I be filled with the word of love and wisdom, and my soul given balm.

The body of the spirit. The blood of the spirit.

Let us pray. As everyone may be enlightened. Grace be with our hearts, that our thoughts be worthy of the spirit transcendent; and may love and wisdom fill our soul through the unity of love and wisdom, the spirit divine. Amen.

May universal love be with us and with our spirit, and may universal wisdom lead us to life everlasting. May holy spirit bless you all. In the highest peace let us take our leave.