• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A frustration

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I was into Gnosticism first loooooong ago, probably around when I first showed up to terrorize this place over a decade back. While away from here I came around full circle, and hard. With that I have been diving in deep for a couple years now - books, articles, journals, videos, podcasts, and so on. It is interesting because Gnostic ideas seem to be entering the world with greater frequency, but, and this brings us to my frustration...

Something bizarre is happening. The Archons are literal aliens coming down from space and probing people. The Demiurge is a reptile creature from a distant constellation. We exist in a Truman Show bubble and even space is a conspiracy. Like... what in the world? In fact I have sometimes suggested such individuals look into Gnosticism and been met with derision, they don't even realize these ideas are far, far old than hacks like David Icke and his kind. If there is indeed an evil demiurge, creating such stupid yet distracting topics seems like exactly what it would do.

Which brings me to a second frustration: Gnostic ideals seem to overlap more and more with conspiracy theories. This doesn't inherently bother me, but what drives me crazy is how you can believe literally everything is a giant conspiracy, but then immediately turn around and follow a traditional religion, immediately turn around and claim the Serpent was a malevolent deceiver, and all sorts of other common nonsense spoon-fed to us like "the Jews are evil!"

Is this something you have noticed in modern dicourse surrounding Gnosticism? How do you address these individuals (when you bother to at all)?

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Gnosticism is a form (or branch) of conspiracy theory.
Conspiracy theory is a general term which doesn't focus on specific areas in life while gnosticism specifically focuses on undermining religious authority or orthodox teachings.

There are conspiracy theories about politics or famous people etc. but that's not gnosticism.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Gnosticism is a form (or branch) of conspiracy theory.
Conspiracy theory is a general term which doesn't focus on specific areas in life while gnosticism specifically focuses on undermining religious authority or orthodox teachings.

There are conspiracy theories about politics or famous people etc. but that's not gnosticism.

This is basically where I am coming from. People seem to conflate the two more and more, and imo it is likely intentional.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
This is basically where I am coming from. People seem to conflate the two more and more, and imo it is likely intentional.
I see, conspiracies are all about intentional misinformation, therefore no surprise.