• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A few questions.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
As Salamu Alaykum wa rahmatullah wa barakatu

I have a few questions that I was hoping could be answered by a shia brother.

1) Could you explain the practice of intercession in Shia Islam? As someone who reverted due to salafi influence (and recently broken away from such), I was taught that calling upon anyone other than Allah is shirk. Therefore it strikes me odd when I see Shia call upon Ali (ra) and Hussein (ra).

2) I have read the Shia believe in infallible Imams who are sinless in nature. I have also been told this belief is similar to the Catholic belief of Pope, except the Shia Imams are believed to be literally descendant from Prophet Muhammad (saws) family. When it is said that the Imams are infallible and sinless, does this mean they never make mistakes in terms of religion, or in every matter, and does sinless nature mean they never sin?

3) How do Shia view the Sunnis? Do they generally accept them as fellow muslims?

If you can answer, I would appreciate. :) Salam

Matemkar

wa alaikum salam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh brother.

1) Could you explain the practice of intercession in Shia Islam? As someone who reverted due to salafi influence (and recently broken away from such), I was taught that calling upon anyone other than Allah is shirk. Therefore it strikes me odd when I see Shia call upon Ali (ra) and Hussein (ra).

Intercession means; "prayer in favor of another" and "mediation" Intercession - Merriam-Webster And, according to shia and sunni Islam, there is nothing wrong in asking the friends of God to intercede/mediate for us.

"They said: O our father (yaqub/jacob)! Ask forgiveness of our faults for us, surely we were sinners. He said: I will ask for you forgiveness from my Lord. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful." Surat Yusuf [12:97-98]

You can see other Quranic references: Inquiries About Shi'a Islam - Shafaa and to study it with rational arguments made please check here: Seeking Shafaa/Intercession from AwliyaAllah (it has sunni and shia sources mentioned.)

(And, please note that, it does not mean one can not ask from God directly.. In fact, shia books have more supplications: http://www.duas.org Sahifah Kamilah for example.. It is an amazing supplication book..)

2) I have read the Shia believe in infallible Imams who are sinless in nature. I have also been told this belief is similar to the Catholic belief of Pope, except the Shia Imams are believed to be literally descendant from Prophet Muhammad (saws) family. When it is said that the Imams are infallible and sinless, does this mean they never make mistakes in terms of religion, or in every matter, and does sinless nature mean they never sin?

I personally believe nothing is outside of the frame of the religion of fitrah. Nothing like sin in religion, sin in politics, sin in economics etc. I believe religion of Islam has politics of its own (e.g. Tawalla & Tabarra concepts - Falsafa/Logic for Islamic Rules) economics of its own (e.g. Islamic Economics and Political Economy) etc. So, I take it as a whole. Thus Prophets and Imams are infallibles in all matters. They do not commit sins (e.g. acting against the religion). And I did not study about Pope in Catholicism. But, our understanding of infallibility is like this:

[youtube]EXuuNBIl31E[/youtube]
Infallibility of Prophets & Imams - Hajj Hassanain Rajabali | Lecture 08 Ramadhan 1430 2009

3) How do Shia view the Sunnis? Do they generally accept them as fellow muslims?

One who believes in God, Prophethood and Hereafter is considered to be a Muslim. So, yes, Sunni brethren are Muslims.. The rest determines denomination.. Like, if he believes in imamah, he is considered to be a shia muslim..

I hope it helps. And, feel free to ask questions. ma salam

Last edited:

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
wa alaikum salam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh brother.

Intercession means; "prayer in favor of another" and "mediation" Intercession - Merriam-Webster And, according to shia and sunni Islam, there is nothing wrong in asking the friends of God to intercede/mediate for us.

"They said: O our father (yaqub/jacob)! Ask forgiveness of our faults for us, surely we were sinners. He said: I will ask for you forgiveness from my Lord. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful." Surat Yusuf [12:97-98]

You can see other Quranic references: Inquiries About Shi'a Islam - Shafaa and to study it with rational arguments made please check here: Seeking Shafaa/Intercession from AwliyaAllah (it has sunni and shia sources mentioned.)

(And, please note that, it does not mean one can not ask from God directly.. In fact, shia books have more supplications: Duas.org - Dua - Supplications - Islam - Prayers Sahifah Kamilah for example.. It is an amazing supplication book..) [/QOUTE]

Brother, I have been looking into this matter, and found you are right. In Sunni Islam, only salafi teach against intercession from Prophet and awliya allah