• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A discussion of Psalm 22:16

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
So, I recently stumbled across Is That in the Bible? Exploring the Judeo-Christian Scriptures. It is an impressive resource despite the fact that "biblical studies is purely a personal interest" of the author. As but one example, see:

For context - and to demonstrate the 'problem' - here are a couple of diverse renderings of Psalm 22:15-17

Sefaria (JPS)

My life ebbs away:
all my bones are disjointed;​
my heart is like wax,
melting within me;​
my vigor dries up like a shard;
my tongue cleaves to my palate;
You commit me to the dust of death.​
Dogs surround me;
a pack of evil ones closes in on me,
like lions [they maul] my hands and feet.​

Robert Alter: The Hebrew Bible

Like water I spilled out,
all my limbs fell apart.​
My heart was like wax,
melting within my chest.​
My palate turned dry as a shard
and my tongue was annealed to my jaw,
and to death's dust did You thrust me.​
For the curs came all around me,
a pack of the evil encircle me,
they bound my hands and my feet.
The New Oxford Annotated Bible (NRSV)

I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint;​
my heart is like wax;
it is melted within my breast;​
my mouth is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to my jaws;
you lay me in the dust of death.​
For dogs are all around me;
a company of evildoers encircles me.
My hands and feet have shriveled;​

Enjoy the article.

I just finished the 2nd volume of Joseph Dan's magnificent 4 volume set "Jewish Mysticism." In it he mentions how the difficulties of translation keep us a step and sometimes two or even three steps away from the meaning of the scripture. It is best to read it in the Hebrew, and with the recognition that the Jewish rabbis (at least the Medieval and Middle Age rabbis) indicated the significant additional layers of meaning based on the actual shape of the Hebrew letters, their number count (gematria, not a mystical addition, but a fundamental nature of the ancient Hebrew as Dan emphasizes) the way the Hebrew words can be interchanged, and rearranged to give more meanings. To make it short, there are many meanings of the Hebrew, not just a singular direct one on one.

I appreciate you showing different translations and views here. It is quite interesting! There is just more to the Bible than we have thought, as your nifty post here shows.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It is best to read it in the Hebrew, and with the recognition that the Jewish rabbis (at least the Medieval and Middle Age rabbis) indicated the significant additional layers of meaning based on the actual shape of the Hebrew letters, ...
If one stares at the entrails long enough, one can discern all manner of curiouser and curiouser things, and it is amazing how often the results align with our presuppositions.