• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A day in the life of...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
...Lewisnotmiller.

So many people here from different places, different cultures, etc.
To me, my life is completely normal, and I'm guessing it's not very interesting. But I thought I'd put up a few mundane facts, maybe a photo or two, and let you know what a typical day is like here in Melbourne, Australia for me!

Mon-Fri

Wake up most days around 7.00am. My wife is generally up slightly earlier, since she starts work a little earlier. For me, I get myself ready, then help get the girls ready (4 and 6).
4 year old to kinder is usually my job, gotta try and have her there by 8 if I'm gonna make work on time.

She likes Nutella on her toast for breakfast, which generally leaves me trying to get sticky crud from her hair as we're about to leave.

Shove her in the car, and away we go. Err...car...here we go!
(not actually my car, but same model and colour)

28129d2d-354c-43ac-ba26-1cd043ddd650-atlg.jpg

I get to work by 9 (hopefully!)
I work very close to the city at the moment. I'm self-employed, but been contracting to the same client for a year, and have about another year with them. So it's about an hour commute once I've dropped off my daughter.

Spend all day at meetings, answering/skim-reading about 200 emails per day (unfortunately not hyperbole), and occasionally getting to do some actual work.
I implement business software. Project I'm on at the moment is gonna take almost 3 years across 4 countries, and they were stupid enough to make me program director. I'm actually better at DOING stuff than MANAGING stuff, but I digress.

My exit time varies wildly, but it's generally between 5.30 and 7.00pm, then an hour to get home.

Monday and Wednesday nights I try and play basketball. Old man's comp (over 35s) but good fun mostly, and keeps me somewhat fit. I'm 39, so still one of the 'young guys'

Girls go to bed anywhere between 7.30 (ideally) and 8.30 (if they're sitting up waiting for me). Sometimes I have work meetings at night (time zones are killers on multi-national jobs) sometimes I don't.
If I don't, I might chill in front of the tv, or on here...or maybe my Ps4.

TV Shows of choice, Daily Show and Colbert Report are replayed at 8.30, which sits with my schedule sometimes. And I'm a sports junkie, so Aussie Rules, Basketball (college or NBA) or American football (NFL or college) can all be on the agenda.

Go to bed anywhere between 10.30 and 2.30, with 12 being about normal.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's some photos of the local area. I didn't take 'em, but they might give you the general idea of where I live...

Let's see...local pub
The-Eltham-Hotel-Eltham-Victoria.jpg

Local train station
Eltham2.jpg

Local library...yeah, Aussies can read...
Elthamlibrary.jpg

Out miniature railroad (umm...it's pretty big...)
fotor0616135625.jpg

Jazz Festival (kinda small, done by local chamber of commerce in the shopping strip, growing fast with local food and wine, etc)
images

Local Festival (kinda big. Showbags, rides, the works, all within walk from house)
eltham-festival2.jpg

Nice quiet villagey shops nearby. Great food here, much nicer than shopping malls, etc...
dsc00071.JPG

Same shops, different angle...
montmorency.JPG

Meh, that might give you the general vibe a little.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Looks very nice, Lewis. :) I think I'll show some of my town as well.

The "Skyline" of downtown

250px-Augustagaskyline.jpg

Downtown at night (looks nicer than what it actually is)

Path

A section of the Riverwalk; a walking area on the edge of town

loc_450.jpg

A view of the Arts in the Heart festival; a multi-cultural festival that my town holds every year

d92cd197-8c01-4de4-80fb-1c1587722cb8.jpg

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey Starry, how local are those shots to where you actually live?
Are they your city, or your suburb, so to speak?

Not that it matters, just out of interest.
I live in Melbourne, but the pics I put up are very local (walking distance from where I am right now)

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Hey Starry, how local are those shots to where you actually live?
Are they your city, or your suburb, so to speak?

Not that it matters, just out of interest.
I live in Melbourne, but the pics I put up are very local (walking distance from where I am right now)

Well, yes and no. I actually live about 10 miles away from the city where these were taken, but I spend most of my time there (school, work, social life, etc.) that I usually say that I live there, and just sleep where I actually live. :D

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, and I should have mentioned, for any of our British friends that might take a peek...
That last photo I put up, the streetscape with the little shopping strip?
That blue thing is the SKY. We quite often find it doesn't get completely clogged by clouds, here, and it can even get hot.

Not hot by UK standards. Actually hot. Generally have a few days per year where it hits 43 or so (err...kinda...118 in farenheit?)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
That's a gorgeous library! And the neighborhood looks endlessly interesting!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That's a gorgeous library! And the neighborhood looks endlessly interesting!

Yeah, lots of community festivals, shows, etc.

The cool thing is that whilst Melbourne is young by world standards (settled in 1836) the area where I live, which is 20km north-east of Melbourne and now a fringe suburb was founded in about 1851. It's old, relatively. Lot's of character and history, and interesting architecture. All the suburbs between Melbourne and my area grew up later.

There's even an artist's colony here (which is less than a hundred years old, but still had a massive impact on local culture)...

300px-The_Great_Hall_at_Montsalvat.jpg

Complete with chapel...

220px-The_Chapel_at_Montsalvat_1.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

We also have heaps of mud brick houses around here, which is cool and unique. Sooooo much more character than living in some new estate...

Some examples of local architecture...

thumb-gallery_12.jpg

thumb-gallery_19.jpg

Buttercup

Veteran Member
What a great pictorial and essay about your daily life and hometown. Very cool! Thanks for sharing. :)

My day and moods can be summed up in a much more spartan and lackluster manner:

Early morning.

coffee-addiction.jpg

Mid afternoon.

Woman-frantic-Fotolia_22103088_XS-300x217.jpg

Evening:

stock-photo-drunk-woman-pouring-alcohol-from-a-bottle-78230392.jpg