• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Daily Reflection

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings all who were curious enough to click on this thread.

I was not sure exactly where to post this so here it is ...

From page 306 of "A Daily Cuppa with Mary and Julian"

Margaret Silf writes:

"When we tune in to the heart of God, then our words will be truthful and our actions pure."

She is speaking about the effort to remember God's presence within us over the course of our day. Only when more of us are able to do this will the world become a happier and more peaceful place.

Blessed are the pure in heart.

I highly recommend the book. Better than I really expected after receiving it as a birthday gift. Mary MacKillop was Australia's first ever official saint.

Enjoy the rest of your browsing!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The early Christian desert monks tried to practice what Buddhists call "Beginner's mind". In our terms, it means looking at life with the mind and heart of a child - always ready to see anew. Daniel O'Leary believed that there is a child of wonder, a mystic within each of us. To deny its presence is to squash the Holy Spirit. So our spiritual journey is largely about the conviction that we're always beginners. We haven't arrived and in this life we never will.

Thomas Merton sums it up:

"There are only three stages to this work: to be a beginner, to be more of a beginner and to only be a beginner."

I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother.

Psalm 131:2

Wishing you all the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Also from the book -

“Blessed are the weird people: poets, misfits, writers, mystics, painters, troubadours for they teach us to see the world through different eyes.”

Jacob Nordby

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
God's ways are most mysterious

In his reflective moments, Bill sensed that the holy is at the heart of all life. He had always known that our words and thoughts could never capture the Divine. What's more, he came to understand that spiritual growth is a mysterious process. He trusted that the deep wisdom that holds everything in existence also holds us.

Bill liked his insight of Mary - we are all shaped by the grace of a God who is holy mystery. This led him to ponder a line from "The Cloud of Unknowing" - God may be reached and held close by means of love, but by means of thought, never.

"All who surrender to the love of the Great Mystery, whose hearts are merciful and kind, will go in beauty and walk with grace."

Psalm 50:23