• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Child of God

w00t

Some Christians excuse the behaviour of God in the Bible by saying that just as we discipline our children, God disciplines us! If we disciplined our kids in the way God supposedly disciplined the folk in the Bible we would be serving a life sentence in prison!

I have been a child, I am now an adult in spitting distance of getting my pension. I don't wish to be treated like a child by God or anyone else! I am willing to have a friendship with God, but for any friendship to work it has to be a friendship of equals!

tomspug

Absorbant
If you want an equal friendship with God, you'd better be prepared to give Him as much as he has already given to you, which is everything you have.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Some Christians excuse the behaviour of God in the Bible by saying that just as we discipline our children, God disciplines us! If we disciplined our kids in the way God supposedly disciplined the folk in the Bible we would be serving a life sentence in prison!

I have been a child, I am now an adult in spitting distance of getting my pension. I don't wish to be treated like a child by God or anyone else! I am willing to have a friendship with God, but for any friendship to work it has to be a friendship of equals!

Well then have that relationship with Him. Nobaody here is stopping you.

Scott C.

Just one guy

Do You think being in spitting distance of getting a pension makes you equal to God?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
The deal with religion is that you are under no obligation to accept any deity as truth. You can reject religion all together...that's your choice.

You can paint your own god if you'd like...a god that will be equal to you.

But the God of Abraham will never be your equal.

I am a Child of God. As His Child, His creation, I serve Him. I live to love and obey Him, not vice versa. We can compare our relationship with God to a human parent and child but it's not quite the same. Deity and child.

blueman

God's Warrior
To be a child of God is to be adopted into His kingdom through Jesus Christ. We are not equal with God in any shape or form. He is the creator and ruler of the universe who is all-knowing and all-powerful. You and I need to recognize and acknowledge His sovereignty accordingly. We are ultimately under His rule and authority, whether you like it or not.

zookeeper

I'm sorry you have such a negative view of being a child of God. For me, that belief is an anchor and peace of mind knowing I am part of something wonderful and eternal.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
I thought one of the point of the concept of a god is that humans are not equal with them. Gods are immortal, humans are mortal. For them to be equal they would all have to be gods, or all mortals.

w00t

I'm sorry you have such a negative view of being a child of God. For me, that belief is an anchor and peace of mind knowing I am part of something wonderful and eternal.

Maybe that is why some like the concept, it doesn't do anything for me at all!

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
When we stop learning, we stop progressing. To learn, we have to acknowledge that we don't know everything yet. This is called humility. Therefore to be teachable, we must be humble to some degree.

Even though we are adults, we are the children of God. We are his offspring. My adult children are still my children, but I treat them like adults . . . hopefully.

I don't know about anyone else, but God definately doesn't treat ME like a little child. I also don't think God punishes us, like children. I think he simply lets consequences happen. If we're childlike, or humble, we'll learn from those consequences. (Note: there's a difference between being childlike and childish.) And by learning, we continue to progress.

I think it makes a lot of sense.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Maybe that is why some like the concept, it doesn't do anything for me at all!

I have a question and I do not mean any disrespect and if you'd like, I will happily start another thread.

How do you identify as a Christian Agnostic if you reject so many aspects of God? Christians...even though we're a "flavored" bunch"...share common ground.

We are Children of the God of Abraham. We are redeemed by the Blood of Christ. For some of us...we believe that our God...as an act of supreme love for His Children...became sin for us, so we could escape the very punishments that seem to upset you so.

Again, my intentions are not to upset or disrespect. I'm just not quite sure where you're coming from.

REPUBLIC713

gods third leg
god is immortal are you immortal?
god is all knowing are you all knowing?
god is all powerful are you all powerful?

if you answered yes to any of these Q you are no longer the child of god
congrats

w00t

I have a question and I do not mean any disrespect and if you'd like, I will happily start another thread.

How do you identify as a Christian Agnostic if you reject so many aspects of God? Christians...even though we're a "flavored" bunch"...share common ground.

We are Children of the God of Abraham. We are redeemed by the Blood of Christ. For some of us...we believe that our God...as an act of supreme love for His Children...became sin for us, so we could escape the very punishments that seem to upset you so.

Again, my intentions are not to upset or disrespect. I'm just not quite sure where you're coming from.

I was brought up to believe in the fundamentalist Christian dogma, which I now completely and vehemently reject! I style myself a cultural Christian, there are some good aspects to the faith as well as bad. I am an agnostic because I have no idea if God exists.

zookeeper

If God came down to our level and was equal to us, wouldn't He cease to be God?
I know that you feel that if the Bible is right then God is some sort of tyrant, and that some create their own God, but without a relationship with God yourself, how do you perceive any existence of God at all?