• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bug for Dan

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Not an insect, some kind of millipede. I discovered Australia has over 2,000 types of millipede so with my lack of knowledge of millipedes I doubt if I'd ever ID it.

DSCN8745.JPG
DSCN8750.JPG

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Not an insect, some kind of millipede. I discovered Australia has over 2,000 types of millipede so with my lack of knowledge of millipedes I doubt if I'd ever ID it.

View attachment 88057View attachment 88058
We are equals in that. I couldn't name a genus of millipede off the top of my head. Certainly not likely to come up with even a remotely close ID.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
No idea what it is but I find the photo interesting because the web barely shows.

View attachment 88159View attachment 88160
All I can say is orb weaver on the ID, but I agree. It looks cool without the web being visible. I can just see a little of it in the 2nd photo where the probable mosquito is hung up. Event then, it still looks like it is flying along.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
No idea what it is but I find the photo interesting because the web barely shows.

View attachment 88159View attachment 88160
I tried to picture key it with Google. I thought maybe those projections on the abdomen might set it apart, but I couldn't come up with anything even close using "common orb weavers of Australia" as a search term.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
An ant I saw in the campground. I didn't notice the hair until I got the pics off the camera. Maybe some kind of carpenter? I just noticed there's something on its right rear leg. I wonder if it could be a parasite or maybe just debris it's picked up.

DSCN8829.JPG
DSCN8831.JPG

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
A couple of Dragon Fly. The first one comes up as a Blue Skimmer but they seem to be a Northern Hemisphere species. I think the red one is a Scarlet Percher Diplacodes Haematodes.

DSCN8855.JPG
DSCN8857.JPG

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
A grasshopper maybe Gastrimargus Musicus. It's a bit out of focus. It rained up there one night and there were millions of them about after that. The car was covered in them.

DSCN9127.JPG

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
An ant I saw in the campground. I didn't notice the hair until I got the pics off the camera. Maybe some kind of carpenter? I just noticed there's something on its right rear leg. I wonder if it could be a parasite or maybe just debris it's picked up.

View attachment 89668View attachment 89669
It is probably a mite. Looks like it from the bottom picture. Mites often hitch rides on insects. In fact, there are a few things things that will hitch a ride on insects. Pseudoscorpions hitch rides on beetles.