• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bug for Dan

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
That's great! The dragonflies, being generally the larger, with the more visible characters are much easier to identify in the field. But those little guys are much more challenging. There seem to be a lot of local field guides available or coming available to help with both.

That has always been my problem though. I can't know everything, but I try anyway.

Found a couple of wasps today in the backyard, I think the first is a type of paper wasp and the 2nd a type of spider wasp. I've seen one chasing a spider before, this one was hunting along the fence and had no fear of spider webs, it just busted straight through them. Not very big, only 10 or 15mm. Never kept still so couldn't get a decent photo. Maybe in the family Pompilidae

DSCN6818.JPG
DSCN6826.JPG

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Found a couple of wasps today in the backyard, I think the first is a type of paper wasp and the 2nd a type of spider wasp. I've seen one chasing a spider before, this one was hunting along the fence and had no fear of spider webs, it just busted straight through them. Not very big, only 10 or 15mm. Never kept still so couldn't get a decent photo. Maybe in the family Pompilidae

View attachment 73705View attachment 73706
I think you are correct on both accounts.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I think you are correct on both accounts.

I've been playing around with some new editing software that supposedly blows up the size of images without loss of quality. I found this picture I took in 2017, I think I was trying to capture hover flies, I noticed a spider and this is the original and after the enhancement.

DSC_0248.JPG
DSC_0248-topaz-enhance-sharpen.JPG

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I've been playing around with some new editing software that supposedly blows up the size of images without loss of quality. I found this picture I took in 2017, I think I was trying to capture hover flies, I noticed a spider and this is the original and after the enhancement.

View attachment 74857View attachment 74858
Holy cow! It really does save a lot of detail.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

View attachment 74857View attachment 74858
Generally, my first thought on seeing a spider in a flower is some kind of crab spider. I think the enhanced image would preserve enough detail to give a rough ID or one to family, but unfortunately it may not have enough exposed. Still, experience leads me to lean toward some kind of crab spider. I did a search for the group in Australia and didn't find anything similar, but what awesome looking species you do have.

It's not a jumping spider. The eyes are wrong and it isn't hairy. Not as hairy as most jumping spiders anyway.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Generally, my first thought on seeing a spider in a flower is some kind of crab spider. I think the enhanced image would preserve enough detail to give a rough ID or one to family, but unfortunately it may not have enough exposed. Still, experience leads me to lean toward some kind of crab spider. I did a search for the group in Australia and didn't find anything similar, but what awesome looking species you do have.

It's not a jumping spider. The eyes are wrong and it isn't hairy. Not as hairy as most jumping spiders anyway.

Maybe Tharrhalea evanida.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

Speaking of jumping spiders, as a kid I used to sit on our front verandah watching them stalk flies. Only 2 TV channels back then.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Speaking of jumping spiders, as a kid I used to sit on our front verandah watching them stalk flies. Only 2 TV channels back then.
Even with 57 channels, that would still be something I would do. I've watched cow killers (velvet ants) and cicada killers (large, ground nesting wasps) as they went about their business. I've watched a lot of insects in action. That's where the biology is taking place.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
That looks correct to me. With that group, anything that looks close usually gets lumped into that group until I have reason to think otherwise.

The only thing I see different in this one compared to the pictures of crane fly pictures I've seen is the fuzzy moustache thing on it.

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
The only thing I see different in this one compared to the pictures of crane flip pictures I've seen is the fuzzy moustache thing on it.
I've been doing a little reading and some species of crane fly do have the feathery antennae (fuzzy moustache) seen in your picture.

You know that from now on, I'm going to think fuzzy mustache every time I see one of these.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know if it was on this thread or another or virtual life, but I was part of a brief discussion about naming species after famous people.

I found this while looking up info on the band Queen and it struck me as a good example of that idea.

You have to name them something, why not tribute to others?

In 2013, a newly-discovered species of the genus Heteragrion (Odonata : Zygoptera) from Brazil was named Heteragrion johndeaconi after Deacon, in honour of his musical and songwriting skills; one of four Heteragrion flatwing damselflies named after the bandmates, paying tribute to the 40th anniversary of Queen's founding.
John Deacon - Wikipedia
https://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2013/f/z03685p080f.pdf
List of organisms named after famous people - Wikipedia