• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Basic Religion

Apple Sugar

A basic religion of this description? If one knows themselves, Autotheism. With a dash of Solipsism as an expression of cerebral conscious awareness.

If you believe in an entity that is all powerful and is the creator of all and you acknowledge it regularly by giving thanks in your own personal way. If you avoid harming all living things and giving a hand whenever you can. If you avoid harming the environment and basically just behave yourself.

Why do you need to know anymore than this?

Tabb

Unfortunately, I don't yet have a fully developed system of worship in place.

I am Asatru (Germanic Polytheist) of a somewhat customized Anglic form. My King is Woden, whom you probably know as Odin, though not in the form you're probably most familiar with. I also give honor to Balder, Frigga, and Inga (Freyja), and wear Thunnor's (Thor's) Hammer around my neck. My primary mode of worship right now is at the points on the modern Wheel of the Year, either holding a small Blot(a type of ritual that used to involve animal sacrifice, but not much anymore and certainly not in my case lol), or having a small sip of meade.

Is prayer involved? Is an afterlife part of your beliefs? Do you make the meade yourself?

Tabb

A basic religion of this description? If one knows themselves, Autotheism. With a dash of Solipsism as an expression of cerebral conscious awareness.

OK that was heavy. I don't think autotheism would apply because that would mean seeing yourself as God. Solipsism as a expression of cerebral conscious awareness is way to complicated to apply.

The idea here is just to make worship of a superior entity(entities) less complicated. This is just leaving religious cultural rituals and traditions behind. Is it really necessary to believe in anything more than just God? I'm speaking strictly monotheism.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Is prayer involved?

For others, yes (though the term "prayer" is generally not used), but not me.

Is an afterlife part of your beliefs?

There is one, but it's very, very downplayed. What happens after death isn't terribly important; what we do until that point is what's important.

Do you make the meade yourself?

I wish. ^_^ Maybe in the future when I have more resources to do so.

Apple Sugar

OK that was heavy. I don't think autotheism would apply because that would mean seeing yourself as God. Solipsism as a expression of cerebral conscious awareness is way to complicated to apply.

The idea here is just to make worship of a superior entity(entities) less complicated. This is just leaving religious cultural rituals and traditions behind. Is it really necessary to believe in anything more than just God? I'm speaking strictly monotheism.

Which is why the suggestion surrounding Autotheism with a dash of Solipsism.
Is it necessary to believe in something outside yourself? Something unseen that is identified in its deific characteristics by other people who claim it spoke to them?

When you know that at the root of your life (your being impersonal as is "you), you work to create those things you want in your life. And of course you have help. But it all starts with you. And proceeds with your conscious awareness, or delusion as some would say, as pertains to the transient illusion that is the seeming solid reality of this life.

Often people give respect and honor to other peoples gods. While committing to self-deprecation as a means of supplication. Believing this will garner them reward and identification as one blessed.

If there is a god would it need us to give it praise so that it feels worthy of the name? To feel secure in itself? Often, that is what religions tell us.
Meanwhile, if we don't respect ourselves and our potential on all levels, what good are we to bow before something we think wants us there to give it high praise? Would it want an underling, a self-conscious insecure groveling creature to give it worship? So that it could feel good about itself causing that posture in that what its created?

Or would a true higher power realize since it created everything, including us, that when we honor and respect our power and potential that we're honoring the power and potential in our source.

Did you know satanists, who are atheistic hedonists for the most part, use a woman's body as the altar in their rituals? Because the human body is the platform from which all reality in the name of humanity begins. And woman, who is the only one in our species who gives birth, is the channel to arrive empowered here.

Love You! It's not a slogan. ;)

Tabb

Which is why the suggestion surrounding Autotheism with a dash of Solipsism.
Is it necessary to believe in something outside yourself? Something unseen that is identified in its deific characteristics by other people who claim it spoke to them?

When you know that at the root of your life (your being impersonal as is "you), you work to create those things you want in your life. And of course you have help. But it all starts with you. And proceeds with your conscious awareness, or delusion as some would say, as pertains to the transient illusion that is the seeming solid reality of this life.

Often people give respect and honor to other peoples gods. While committing to self-deprecation as a means of supplication. Believing this will garner them reward and identification as one blessed.

If there is a god would it need us to give it praise so that it feels worthy of the name? To feel secure in itself? Often, that is what religions tell us.
Meanwhile, if we don't respect ourselves and our potential on all levels, what good are we to bow before something we think wants us there to give it high praise? Would it want an underling, a self-conscious insecure groveling creature to give it worship? So that it could feel good about itself causing that posture in that what its created?

Or would a true higher power realize since it created everything, including us, that when we honor and respect our power and potential that we're honoring the power and potential in our source.

Did you know satanists, who are atheistic hedonists for the most part, use a woman's body as the altar in their rituals? Because the human body is the platform from which all reality in the name of humanity begins. And woman, who is the only one in our species who gives birth, is the channel to arrive empowered here.

Love You! It's not a slogan. ;)

That was brilliant. I'm still not agreeing with the labels but, Wow, you got it all. I was just expressing those views to somene last week. I wish I could of said it the way you did, she would of thought I was brilliant.

Skeptisch

I can see how this thread was worded how you could surmised I was proposing a new religion , trust me I'm not.
This sounds pretty good though:
“A religion old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science, might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or later such a religion will emerge.”
— Carl Sagan

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I find your religion interesting. Who are the entities that you worship and how.

There are maybe three or four of us on the site who are active that follow Asatru. All three or four of us have somewhat different approaches. I am new to "formally" worshiping in this way, and am learning things from the others.

That said, my personal deity is Thor. I wear a Thor's hammer (Mjolnir) pendant around my neck. I also pay homage to Odin, Frigga, Freyja, Freyr, Tyr and Baldr as the primary deities of my pantheon, though there are many more. Here's a long list, but I'm sure there are even more: List of Norse gods and goddesses - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia That's the "who".

Here's the how:

There are a lot of different ways. For me right now, as I'm learning, I keep it simple. I have a small shrine with images of my primary deities. I light candles and incense, and say some written prayers. Some were written by other people, some are from Norse literature. I've rarely ever prayed to any god(dess) to ask for something other than guidance and protection. I put an offering of juice, though traditionally beer, ale or mead are favorites of Odin and Thor. Freyr likes bread, being the god of fertility, though I don't think he'd refuse an ale; the goddesses like flowers. Several times a day I chant the verse that is in my signature.

And I try to follow the Nine Noble Virtues:

• Courage
  • Truth
  • Honour
  • Fidelity
  • Discipline
  • Hospitality
  • Self Reliance
  • Industriousness
  • Perseverance

That's pretty much it. There really are no rules or dogma.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to attend a blót, a traditional Asatru community gathering and offering to the gods. I think 1 or 2 people from here have attended them. Beer, ale and mead are the usual offerings.