• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9 Days question

rosends

No, not about nidche or shavua shechal bo.

I learned (and I'm being lazy and not opening a Shulchan Aruch or the like to confirm) that we have some limitations because the days have a sadness and are likened to a mourning period. If that's a mistaken presumption, then tell me so. The 3 weeks are somewhat like the shloshim (no haircuts) but I'm not sure in what other ways?

Otherwise, I was trying to compare the 9 days to sitting shiva. In each, we are suppsoed to wear "unclean" clothes (though I don't know if the specifics are the same). But during the 9 days, I can sit in regular chairs and during shiva, I can eat meat.

Can someone point me to an efficient and clear explanation of the limit of the nature of the 9 days as echoing a mourning period?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Our minhag - and I assume that's the minhag of most Ashkenazim - is to not listen to music of any sort, and yeah, no haircuts or shaving - during all of the three weeks. And in the 9 days we add: No fleishik food (except for Shabbat or a siyum) and no laundry. And showering in slightly-colder-than-lukewarm-water. And only wearing clothes that aren't 100% clean (typically done by putting the clothes on the floor for a few minutes).

So it's not necessarily like a standard mourning, but there are several aspects of minimizing happiness.

rosends

Our minhag - and I assume that's the minhag of most Ashkenazim - is to not listen to music of any sort, and yeah, no haircuts or shaving - during all of the three weeks. And in the 9 days we add: No fleishik food (except for Shabbat or a siyum) and no laundry. And showering in slightly-colder-than-lukewarm-water. And only wearing clothes that aren't 100% clean (typically done by putting the clothes on the floor for a few minutes).

So it's not necessarily like a standard mourning, but there are several aspects of minimizing happiness.
I think your last line is important. During shiva we o things to reflect a sadness we already have but during the nine days, we are trying to create a sadness. There is some overlap but sometimes the overlap doesn't actually reflect that distinction.