• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Just curious, anyone know why Crowley's tables are together in a book called 777? What is the significance of the number? I know 7 itself is an important number in many ways; self mastery / perfection, divinity, alchemy, string theory, Kabbalah, etc... But why three 7s?

Premium Member
a spoof on 666?

I don't think so, especially since it is reasonable to think 666 represented the sun, creation, perfection, or some other less Christian ideal to Crowley.

apophenia

He was an attention-seeking narcissist, and a showman, and he knew his audience very well. If you read the intro to Magick In Theory And Practice it is clear that his views could be stated in very ordinary terms. But that would have been ignored.

Premium Member
I agree, I am not a big Crowley fan any more these days. I took what I needed and moved on. While he may have been a great occultist in many ways, the level he existed at was still highly pretentious.

The Wizard

Just curious, anyone know why Crowley's tables are together in a book called 777? What is the significance of the number? I know 7 itself is an important number in many ways; self mastery / perfection, divinity, alchemy, string theory, Kabbalah, etc... But why three 7s?
Interesting question. Perhaps it's the symbol (not the number refference) of it which has a significance. In the beginning it was various "symbols". It looks like symbols of a few doors next to each other in a strange way.

Mine was never 777... it is 77. This I have had for years. It is there everytime a new opportunity or change is about to present itself...or its always on things I find important. I don't understand the connection, not sure if I even care to...

jasonwill2

Fun fact: ever since I was a little kid, 9 has been favorite numbers of mine. Nine is the number of Satan.

Because 7 is seen as the number of God by some Abrahamics, and it's spoofing 666.

a spoof on 666?

Yes.

I don't think so, especially since it is reasonable to think 666 represented the sun, creation, perfection, or some other less Christian ideal to Crowley.

666 and/or 616 is a fancy code way of saying Nero. the Christian book of Revelation was a political allegory. Or if you like, it's the number of Satan. Crowley thought that he was The Beast spoken of in Revelation, he actually reveled in that. All his mistresses took the title of The Scarlet Woman from the same Christian book, annnnnnd.... let's not even get into the Whore of Babylon and Babalon (spelling is correct).

The guy was obsessed with The Book of Revelation.

Babs

I could be remembering this wrong, but I thought that I read somewhere that 777 was Crowley's full name, numerologically. The sum of his first name being 7, and his middle being 7 and his last being 7.

And I definitely remember reading somewhere that his mother would call him The Beast as a child. But yeah, still refering to the one in Revelations.

jasonwill2

I could be remembering this wrong, but I thought that I read somewhere that 777 was Crowley's full name, numerologically. The sum of his first name being 7, and his middle being 7 and his last being 7.

And I definitely remember reading somewhere that his mother would call him The Beast as a child. But yeah, still refering to the one in Revelations.

That could be true on 777, but I assumed it was in reference to 666. Not sure; I'd need to research a little and see how it works out numerologically

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Being where I am at now I feel Crowley is rather worthless, but it did aid me at least in understanding where LaVey ripped all of his 'magic' from. :)

Numbers aren't that important in what I would say is in a very literal sense a very pliable emotive medium with which one works. In fact, the more that I reflect on this bit the more I feel Crowley really didn't understand all the hub-bub he was promoting but it tended to keep people writing him checks during his life so who am I to judge. :) Understand that Crowley (like LaVey) were both men under extreme economic pressure whom had no particular aversion to playing to the crowd. My theory is much of what they wrote (other than what they both plagiarized) was to that end.