• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

70% of Doctors Are Wrong, Of Course!

Audie

Veteran Member
I read a report a few weeks ago about the religiosity of american doctors. Seems as a group they end to be more religious than the demographic norm for america.

I cant find it now and dont remember who commissioned or carried out the survey so this just rabbiting.

Anyway, i thought at the time that its a poor state for american health services.

I dont know if it affects their ability as doctors, or
not. I went to a Muslim doctor for a time, she
seemed very competent. I dont think I would care
if my doctor were a Methodist. But I wold be
surprised, few Chinese are.

American engineers quite often are fundamentalists.
I dont know why that would affect their ability with
a slide rule. ( :D )

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Engineering and medical practice are somewhat different. If an engineer thought miracles could do his work then ???

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Thinking back my hubbies consultant is muslim. But believes in sound medical practice, not miracles

ecco

Veteran Member
Well folks, here you have proof of life after death.

This thread died in October 2018 (post #116).
This thread has been resurrected (post #117).

All hail and bow down to tas8831 who proved miracles do happen.

ManSinha

Sorry - late comer to the discussion - there was a report on NPR about a man from the UK whose blood is being tested for resistance to HIV disease as almost a score of months (*edited) after being infected - he is completely disease free without taking medications.

Remember - there is genetic variation and certain people are resistant to certain diseases and ailments just as some people are prone to others - the illnesses among Ashkenazi Jews being just one example

That would also contribute to the differences we can see

Apart from the story of the faith healer in Africa - physicians need to advocate what is reproducible most, if not all the time - since no human mind can account for all the variations out there. Of course with the introduction of computers and artificial intelligence into medical practice - things may change and evolve.

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
Sorry - late comer to the discussion - there was a report on NPR about a man from the UK whose blood is being tested for resistance to HIV disease as almost a score of years after being infected - he is completely disease free without taking medications.
No longer taking medications but he did have a stem cell transplant.

UK man 'free' of HIV with new stem cells
A UK patient's HIV has become "undetectable" following a stem cell transplant - in only the second case of its kind, doctors report in Nature.

The London patient, who was being treated for cancer, has now been in remission from HIV for 18 months and is no longer taking HIV drugs.

The researchers say it is too early to say the patient is "cured" of HIV.

Experts say the approach is not practical for treating most people with HIV but may one day help find a cure.​

ManSinha

No longer taking medications but he did have a stem cell transplant.

UK man 'free' of HIV with new stem cells

Experts say the approach is not practical for treating most people with HIV but may one day help find a cure.​

Just as insulin was once procured exclusively from animals and then started to being made by bacteria - this may provide a direction for nanotech or DNA manipulation of bacteria or an enterprising genomic start up to create a process to synthesize the relevant proteins - guess at that point they would cease being called miracles - do they qualify now?