• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

7 States And Counting

Seven states voted in favor of upholding traditional marriage yesterday: Tennessee, Colorado, Idaho, South Carolina, South Dakota, Virginia, and Wisconsin. Only Arizona ousted a similar bill.

Comments?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Seven states voted for discrimination, hatred of GBLT people, and bigotry. Go ahead and be proud if you like.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Disgusting ignorance. That's about the nicest thing I can say about those right now.

standing_alone

Seven states voted to make discrimination part of their constitutions. So many families are going to be negatively affected by this. I was talking to one of my (heterosexual) professors about this tonight and she was disappointed because there's practically no chance of civil unions being established now and she and her boyfriend are not going to marry. These amendments didn't do anything for "traditional marriage" (whatever the hell that's supposed to be). All it did is hurt unmarried people by playing into people's fear and hatred for the LGBT community.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
"upholding traditional marriage"

Do people have some wacky idea that if same gender couples are allowed to legally marry the person the love, that "traditional" marriages (i.e. heterosexual marriages) would cease to exist? No, the way I see it is this, that line "upholding traditional marriage" is really just an excuse to further hurt and punish GBLT people for being different. Shame on those seven states and every state that has passed one of this "protecting marriage but what we really mean is that we don't think gay people should be equal to us" amendments which were voted in by hate.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Maize said:
Seven states voted for discrimination, hatred of GBLT people, and bigotry.

Yes, I'm afraid so. But I do have hope that the leaning states like California, New York, New Mexico, Hawaii, Vermont, New Hampshire, etc will be arguing about legalizing it soon.

Arizonians did good last night, too. Stopping these amendments is the first step.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
FerventGodSeeker said:
Seven states voted in favor of upholding traditional marriage yesterday: Tennessee, Colorado, Idaho, South Carolina, South Dakota, Virginia, and Wisconsin. Only Arizona ousted a similar bill.

Comments?

Actually, they voted for a man-woman marriage, which is only semi-traditional, and dependent upon whose tradition you're referring to. That said, however, I still find it incredibly sad, though not at all surprising.

Maize said:
Seven states voted for discrimination, hatred of GBLT people, and bigotry. Go ahead and be proud if you like.
It's not about any of those things, but go ahead and think that if you like. We know where one another stands, there's no reason to argue about it any longer.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
GeneCosta said:
Yes, I'm afraid so. But I do have hope that the leaning states like California, New York, New Mexico, Hawaii, Vermont, New Hampshire, etc will be arguing about legalizing it soon.

Arizonians did good last night, too. Stopping these amendments is the first step.

The quote in your sig ling was in my head all day long yesterday. Frubals for a good sig.

Bishka

Veteran Member
FerventGodSeeker said:
It's not about any of those things, but go ahead and think that if you like. We know where one another stands, there's no reason to argue about it any longer.

So us hetero-stright couple are allowed to have civil unions and enjoy lots of things while those people who just want to be together and NOT hurt anybody get nothing? That's discrimination pure and simple.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
FerventGodSeeker said:

Of course that's what it is about. If it was about protecting marriage we'd be banning divorce, but instead we're punishing same gender couples? Why? That doesn't make sense. You don't hurt some without cause unless you hate them.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Personally I'm ****** off at Idaho, but what else can be expected in the reddest country (Madison)in the US?

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
FerventGodSeeker said:

Please tell me how, exactly, that it's not about discrimination (prejudice)?

standing_alone

Maize said:

Of course that's what it is about. If it was about protecting marriage we'd be banning divorce, but instead we're punishing same gender couples? Why? That doesn't make sense. You don't hurt some without cause unless you hate them.

Exactly. Especially when same-sex marriage was illegal already to begin with. All this did was put a roadblock in establishing civil unions in the states that passed these bans.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
FerventGodSeeker said:
It's not about any of those things, but go ahead and think that if you like.
It is completely about the things Maize said. NO heterosexual couple that is married will have their marriage effected in ANY shape, form, or fashion--negatively or positively--because of those bills.

However the millions of gay Americans that still can't marry are affected by it. This isn't about protecting or upholding traditional marriage: It's about making sure gays don't get the same rights as straight people.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
standing_alone said:
All this did was put a roadblock in establishing civil unions in the states that passed these bans.
Not to mention a loss of the few legal rights same gender couples obtained through a lawyer. Might as well light a match to those. They're unenforcable now, at least in VA.

Maize said:

I'm against divorce, by and large; and we do have cause, although we've discussed this many many times before, have we not?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
FerventGodSeeker said:
I'm against divorce, by and large; and we do have cause, although we've discussed this many many times before, have we not?
You asked for comments on these hateful amendments. Don't be surprised when you get them.

Funny thing is though, I haven't heard ANY so-called family values group calling for the banning of divorce, yet they're all foaming at the mouth to exclude legal rights from same gender couples. Why is that?

Please tell me your justification for
treating GBLT people like second class citizens.

standing_alone

Maize said:
Not to mention a loss of the few legal rights same gender couples obtained through a lawyer. Might as well light a match to those. They're unenforcable now, at least in VA.

God, this whole thing just makes me so damn mad. :mad: