• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

7 players stand out of gay pride game

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think it was sometime in the 80's. Before that sponsors were thanked in the program (small booklet with the player line up for the day and things like that) and mentioned by the ground announcer. Players were paid a lot less and most had a real job.
So then for the entire lifetime of most of the players on the team, being a football player has involved wearing logos and messages that change periodically, for things that a player may or may not personally support.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
So then for the entire lifetime of most of the players on the team, being a football player has involved wearing logos and messages that change periodically, for things that a player may or may not personally support.

It would be all of them, I doubt if any would have seen a game that didn't have advertising on the players, ball, referees or just about anywhere else.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
You think religious discrimination has occurred here? Wild.

Putting a rainbow graphic on a professional sports team uniform is not religious discrimination at all, and certainly isn't illegal discrimination.
If it's forcing you to support a cause your religion doesn't allow you to support it's religious discrimination.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Seeing advertising logos came as a bit of a shock to me when I first saw them. They do not exist on US pro sports teams. Well except for soccer.

bengals-uniforms-getty-ftr-041921_18k25plr8871m1mkdtsa7fh0hb.jpg

When it comes to the NFL you will see a Nike swoosh on the uniforms, but that is because Nike has the contract to make them. I am pretty sure that they pay for the privilege. They can sell exorbitantly overpriced gear at their own stores.

NASCAR is another matter entirely. And if a winning driver is interviewed he will try to get off the name of all of the sponsors in one long sentence:

brandeis-ragan.jpg

The drivers are heavily decked out too:

jeff-gordon-dupont-3_4.jpg

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If it's forcing you to support a cause your religion doesn't allow you to support it's religious discrimination.
Nope. It is something that the person agreed to do when he signed a lucrative contract.

If you think that athletes really eat Wheaties in the morning you might want to wake up yourself a little bit.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Nope. It is something that the person agreed to do when he signed a lucrative contract.

If you think that athletes really eat Wheaties in the morning you might want to wake up yourself a little bit.
Supporting a sponsor and supporting a political cause are very different.

Can I request athletes wear husband appreciation logos?
Why do people identify themselves by their sexuality anyway? It's weird. And no one has any obligation to support someone else's pride in their sexual choice.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Why do people identify themselves by their sexuality anyway? It's weird. And no one has any obligation to support someone else's pride in their sexual choice.
How is even doing the right thing political at all? Just because people abuse a book of myths does not mean that it is a right that they can apply to other people.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

Sure and if you're the highest bidder I'm sure they'll accept your sponsorship.

Why do people identify themselves by their sexuality anyway?

I believe they always have at least in my 61 years, seems a little sad when I think about it.

It's weird. And no one has any obligation to support someone else's pride in their sexual choice.

It was about inclusiveness of everyone.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
But your missing my point. Are the players hired to play the sport, or to shill for the owner's causes? Because those are two very different jobs. And you can't hire someone for one job and one salary and then demand that they do another for the same salary. So if professional athletes are going to have to also be shills for corporate sponsored causes it should be clearly stated in their contract. Including the limitations on both sides.

In general, players in these larger leagues are well aware of the combination of sports and entertainment they are involved in. Revenue sharing deals, agents and players associations have all led to a vast increase in the visibility and understanding of the inherent business models involved, beyond the pure sporting aspects.

The NRL in particular has strange (to me) forms of free agency where a player can negotiate and sign a deal with Team B for next year whilst still playing with Team A this year.

I've had trouble finding the NRL standard contract terms, but I believe the organisations have strict contractual limitations on where advertising can be placed, and all uniforms are approved by the League. The players then abide to follow the official dress code, which for the NRL has some restrictions around equipment, etc, as well as wearing the official uniform.

I don't believe this covers their boots, and players can have individual contracts with boot providers, in my understanding.

Was it? I very much doubt that it was. So the players have every right to tell the management that they will not shill for their causes. Just as the management has every right to stop the players from doing that on the field, as well. Spell this stuff out in the contract, and enforce it, and all this nonsense goes away.

Well...I'd be surprised if their contracts didn't refer to a requirement to wear sanctioned uniforms during play, or to abide by the rules and regulations if the NRL (which would then have a requirement to wear sanctioned uniforms).

And the players were not prevented from kneeling before games.

Regardless of contracts, and legal enforcement opportunities, I don't see this nonsense going away.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
FYI: this is Australian Rules football. Corporate logos on team uniforms are a standard thing. In all professional sports leagues worldwide, mandatory player activities promoting the sponsor's brand are also a standard thing.

No...no, no, no...no....
*shakes head emphatically*

This is Rugby League. Played mostly in NSW and Queensland. Second biggest professional sport in Australia. Very high Pasifika participation (51% of players).

Aussie Rules is the AFL. Completely different sport at a fundamental level. Played mostly in Victoria, SA, WA, Tasmania and Northern Territory, although there are multiple professional teams in Qld and NSW.

AFL uniforms are cleaner in terms of advertising, although it still exists.
My teams uniform...

I know it's confusing, but there are 4 footy codes in Australia.

Aussie Rules (AFL) is the biggest, with crowds of upto 100,000. Players kick the ball, and it's a 360 degree sport. It's mostly only played in Australia, but has huge tv rights and player wages (by domestic standards).

Rugby League (NRL) is next. Players throw the ball backwards (only) and run in forwards. It's played in a bunch of countries, Australia and England are often ranked highly.

Rugby Union is next. It's the original game that League broke away from, and has quite a few similarities still. Players cross codes at times. The New Zealand All Blacks are a powerhouse, traditionally.

Soccer would be last in Australia, although it's obviously the most internationally successful.

Rest of your post was fine, I just couldn't let someone confuse Rugby League with Aussie Rules!!

PS. If it helps, the punters you get in to American Football are almost all AFL players. They've been kicking a ball as the primary skill since birth, or even earlier.

PPS. The 'even earlier' bit was hyperbole

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Aussie Rules (AFL) is the biggest, with crowds of upto 100,000. Players kick the ball, and it's a 360 degree sport. It's mostly only played in Australia, but has huge tv rights and player wages (by domestic standards).

You forgot to mention that you get a point for missing the goal.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

So the standard uniform is religiously discriminating against them?
The scheduling of games on the Sabbath?
The sponsorship of the stadium?
The tv coverage sponsors?