• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

!!!

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Baggins was outside barking at something, so I went out there to see why he wouldn't come in and there was a toad out there. He barks at toads sometimes, so I assume that's what he was barking at, but then he acted like he had eaten something gross and was spitting up foamy spit. Are toads poisonous?? Like, do they release something that could kill a little dog if it attacked them?? Baggins is acting fine now, but I'm worried about him still... :(

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I think, from reading online, that their poison just tastes bad so whatever is trying to eat them will not want to anymore. I don't think it's deadly. I'd like to know for sure though......

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I had a dog once, a dalmation, stupidest dang animal on the planet.
he would try to eat any toad, frog, mouse, etc he could get in his mouth.
Never had a problem with him getting sick.

I asked the vet once and he (the vet) said that unless the dog is allergic to the poison in the warts, there will be no problems.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend whereismynotecard,
A google search for ;are toads poisnous? throws up a list and the first one is the following BUT DO READ few more before deciding anything.
Danger - Giant Toads

Toads secrete a substance that can irritate a dog's eyes or tongue. Catching and chewing a toad can cause excessive salivation and sometimes disorientation, but usually nothing very serious. If your dog has caught a toad, flushing his mouth with water to relieve the unpleasant symptoms is usually all that's needed. But...... there are some Deadly exceptions!
canetoad.JPG
Several species of giant toads are a serious threat to pets. The Colorado River Toad, found in Southwestern states from Arizona to Southern California, and the Giant Brown Toad (also known as Marine Toads, Cane Toads or Bufo Toads) found in South Texas and Florida, are the two most common poisonous toads in the U.S. There are also a large number of Bufo Toads in Hawaii. These giant toads can grow to be 4" to about 9" long and to weigh more than 2 pounds.
Unlike other toads who only eat live, moving insects, giant toads will climb into outdoor food bowls and eat dog food. This leads to toad catching and canine poisoning. There have even been rare cases where giant toads have just sat on the rim of a dog’s water dish and left enough toxin to make the dog sick.
Drooling, head shaking, pawing at the mouth, crying, and attempting to vomit are some symptoms that a pet has had contact with these toads. Symptoms of toad poisoning in dogs can include heavy drooling, head-shaking, vomiting, diarrhea, bright red gums, weakness, loss of coordination, fever, irregular heartbeat, difficult breathing, tightly clamped jaws, convulsions, and even death.
Veterinary treatment, among other measures, might include an EKG to detect an abnormal heart rhythm and, if present, cardiac medication to combat it.; medication to reduce fever, medication to control seizures and IV fluids.
If you live in an area where giant toads can be found, there are some things you can do to protect your dog from a tragic encounter with them.
Toads are nocturnal animals. Turn on outdoor lights and don't allow your dog outside alone after dark.
Toads are also seen more often in wet weather. When it is raining, any time of day, always accompany your dog outside, and be extra watchful.
Inspect areas around plants and shrubs and carefully check your yard for toads before taking your dog outside during early morning hours.
If your dog has had contact with a giant toad, place a hose along the inside of the dog's mouth, point the dog's head downward so the water won't be swallowed and flush its mouth with water to remove all trace of the poison. While flushing, rub the gums and rub the inside of its mouth. Continue until the gums and the inside of the mouth no longer feel slimy, then call your Vet.
If you suspect toad poisoning in your dog, get prompt veterinary treatment.

Love

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend whereismynotecard,
A google search for ;are toads poisnous? throws up a list and the first one is the following BUT DO READ few more before deciding anything.
Danger - Giant Toads

Toads secrete a substance that can irritate a dog's eyes or tongue. Catching and chewing a toad can cause excessive salivation and sometimes disorientation, but usually nothing very serious. If your dog has caught a toad, flushing his mouth with water to relieve the unpleasant symptoms is usually all that's needed. But...... there are some Deadly exceptions!
canetoad.JPG
Several species of giant toads are a serious threat to pets. The Colorado River Toad, found in Southwestern states from Arizona to Southern California, and the Giant Brown Toad (also known as Marine Toads, Cane Toads or Bufo Toads) found in South Texas and Florida, are the two most common poisonous toads in the U.S. There are also a large number of Bufo Toads in Hawaii. These giant toads can grow to be 4" to about 9" long and to weigh more than 2 pounds.

Unlike other toads who only eat live, moving insects, giant toads will climb into outdoor food bowls and eat dog food. This leads to toad catching and canine poisoning. There have even been rare cases where giant toads have just sat on the rim of a dog’s water dish and left enough toxin to make the dog sick.
Drooling, head shaking, pawing at the mouth, crying, and attempting to vomit are some symptoms that a pet has had contact with these toads. Symptoms of toad poisoning in dogs can include heavy drooling, head-shaking, vomiting, diarrhea, bright red gums, weakness, loss of coordination, fever, irregular heartbeat, difficult breathing, tightly clamped jaws, convulsions, and even death.
Veterinary treatment, among other measures, might include an EKG to detect an abnormal heart rhythm and, if present, cardiac medication to combat it.; medication to reduce fever, medication to control seizures and IV fluids.
If you live in an area where giant toads can be found, there are some things you can do to protect your dog from a tragic encounter with them.
Toads are nocturnal animals. Turn on outdoor lights and don't allow your dog outside alone after dark.
Toads are also seen more often in wet weather. When it is raining, any time of day, always accompany your dog outside, and be extra watchful.
Inspect areas around plants and shrubs and carefully check your yard for toads before taking your dog outside during early morning hours.
If your dog has had contact with a giant toad, place a hose along the inside of the dog's mouth, point the dog's head downward so the water won't be swallowed and flush its mouth with water to remove all trace of the poison. While flushing, rub the gums and rub the inside of its mouth. Continue until the gums and the inside of the mouth no longer feel slimy, then call your Vet.
If you suspect toad poisoning in your dog, get prompt veterinary treatment.

Love &

McBell

I don't know what kind of a toad it is. I cannot tell. I hope Baggins doesn't die. :(
If you are in the USA then there is nothing to worry about, unless Baggins is allergic to toads or he gets hold of someones exotic pet toad.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
If you are in the USA then there is nothing to worry about, unless Baggins is allergic to toads or he gets hold of someones exotic pet toad.

I hope you're right... and if so I hope he's not allergic. I rinsed his mouth out with water, and he's sleeping on the chair with me right now. I hope he's okay. I'm going to be worried about him all night.

McBell

I hope you're right... and if so I hope he's not allergic. I rinsed his mouth out with water, and he's sleeping on the chair with me right now. I hope he's okay. I'm going to be worried about him all night.
Keep an eye on him for a few (meaning two to four) hours.
As long as he is breathing ok and his mouth, eyes are not swelling up, he will be fine.