• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

5780 Maror Challenge

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
This thread invites my fellow Jews to embrace the bitterness of the season by asking:

How much maror will you eat on the first night of Passover? Who among us will eat the most?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
The required minimum. I hate lettuce, or any other type of Maror. Blech...:mad:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
OK. It's on. I am going to eat maror like you wouldn't believe.

Boom.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
In America ( maybe elsewhere too, ) Horseradish is the most common Maror used in the seder. Here's the science behind it.

"
When horseradish is grated or otherwise cut, its cells break open to release two compounds: an enzyme called myrosinase and a glucosinolate called sinigrin. Myrosinase breaks the sinigrin down to form allyl isothiocyanate, which is the source of heat in horseradish. Allyl isothiocyanate also provides the heat in radishes and mustard, both of which belong to the same family as horseradish.

Air and saliva oxidize allyl isothiocyanate, which causes it to irritate the mucous membranes and produce the heat that you detect when you consume horseradish.

The sensory receptors that allyl isothiocyanate act upon are sensitive to mechanical stimulation and to temperature. When the receptors are chemically stimulated, they can interpret the stimulation as mechanical stimulation like being cut or as temperature extremes like being burned.

The body reacts to the stimuli in the same way that it would respond to a cut or a burn, which is by flushing the nasal passages and sweating to cool itself down. The hot sensation results in an endorphin rush that gives the person eating horseradish or chili peppers a sense of euphoria.
"

Source: Pepper Heat Vs. Horseradish Heat: PepperScale Showdown

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
This thread invites my fellow Jews to embrace the bitterness of the season by asking:

How much maror will you eat on the first night of Passover? Who among us will eat the most?

i will dyb! Btw, did the old English word “morter’ come from “maror” ?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Borrowed from Old French mortier, from Latin mortārium.

[Mortarium] Possibly from Proto-Indo-European *mel- (“soft, weak, tender”). See Latin mollis.
Makes sense.

If I recall, Mortar uses smaller finer bits of sand. ( also more lime ? Rev would know... ) The result is much heavier, but also softer. Therefore, if the wall needs to be demo'd or reconfig'd the stone that's used to build the wall remains intact, and the wall comes apart at the softer weak points at the mortar joint.