• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 Days

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Does anyone watch this? It really is a fantastic show. For those who don't know, it's by Morgan Spurlock, who did the documentary "Supersize Me" where he ate nothing but McDonald's for one month. I would recommend that, too. This show is based on that concept. What happens is he gets one person who has a strong opinion on a certain topic to spend 30 days with a family who are strongly of the opposite opinion. For instance, the latest episode had an LDS mother of two who strongly opposes gay marriage and adoptions spend 30 days with a gay couple and their four adopted sons.

The beauty is that it's reality TV that's actually real. The last episode was a hunter who lives with members of PETA, and goes to their rallies and helps out at a shelter, even helping to rescue a calf and nurse it back to health. By the end of the show, the hunter had actually changed his tune a bit. He was going to continue to hunt (as humanely as you can), but he was all about the cause against the methods of the meat industry and for most animal rights. It's really nice to watch a show that makes a significant difference in people's lives.

Anyone else have any comments?

LittlePinky82

I love it! I was a big fan of his "Supersize Me" documentary so I've been watching "30 Days" since the beginning. It's an awesome idea and I love it. One of my favorite episodes was in season one when they took a guy who was a Christian and had him live in Michigan with a Muslim family and he went to church with the family and really eventually got into the experience. He even took the time to learn Arabic! I was really sad about the recent episode with the gay couple and the anti-gay woman. :( Too bad things didn't work out with that. And I think that's one reason why this show is so real too.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I love it! I was a big fan of his "Supersize Me" documentary so I've been watching "30 Days" since the beginning. It's an awesome idea and I love it. One of my favorite episodes was in season one when they took a guy who was a Christian and had him live in Michigan with a Muslim family and he went to church with the family and really eventually got into the experience. He even took the time to learn Arabic! I was really sad about the recent episode with the gay couple and the anti-gay woman. :( Too bad things didn't work out with that. And I think that's one reason why this show is so real too.

I didn't catch that one, but it sounds great. I agree with your sentiments about the newest episode and it being real. That's exactly what I was thinking. I wasn't surprised at that outcome, though. she seemed to be too closed-off right from the beginning, and her problem was a logic problem, not an emotional one.

Anyway, I haven't seen all of the epsiodes so far, but I just set my Tivo, so I'll get all of the new upcoming ones. I'll probably end up buying the first two seasons on DVD at some point.

LittlePinky82

I didn't catch that one, but it sounds great. I agree with your sentiments about the newest episode and it being real. That's exactly what I was thinking. I wasn't surprised at that outcome, though. she seemed to be too closed-off right from the beginning, and her problem was a logic problem, not an emotional one.

Anyway, I haven't seen all of the epsiodes so far, but I just set my Tivo, so I'll get all of the new upcoming ones. I'll probably end up buying the first two seasons on DVD at some point.

Aw too bad you didn't. The guy in that episode started off not sure about it and all but he ended up being a great sport. I was very impressed he even took the time to learn Arabic! It was very sweet when in one part when he was getting a long better with everyone they showed him at a gym playing basketball with some of the other guys. :) You can probably find the episode on Youtube or something.

Yeah I kinda figured that too with the woman and the gay couple. It was really sad how she felt when anyone else was trying to voice their views, experiences etc. she ran off crying like they were all ganging up on her. :rolleyes: I couldn't watch it when she was getting holier than thou. I still couldn't believe after that one guy showed her where he grew up in the inner city that she still would rather kids live there than with a safe, loving and stable family that happens to have a gay couple!! Outrageous! And those kids are probably more than likely to get involved in gangs as well just because they want so badly that family life-style. :( I just couldn't believe that. I was also thinking that she was probably brain-washed because whenever someone tried to talk to her about it she just cut them off and went away and kept saying the same arguments over and over again. It's all the basic talking points and she appeared to not have an original thought at all about the situation. I was hoping perhaps that situation would at least give her some original thoughts. It was also sad too since she herself was an adopted kid and it's so hard sometimes for the older adoptive kids to find good homes. I'm sorry but I'd rather a gay couple adopt a kid instead of him/her ending up on the streets and with gangs where there's violence, drugs and probably sex.

That would be a good investment. :) It's a really great show. :D I'm glad you started this thread.

what have you got against violence drugs and sex? there one of those things that keep life interesting

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Aw too bad you didn't. The guy in that episode started off not sure about it and all but he ended up being a great sport. I was very impressed he even took the time to learn Arabic! It was very sweet when in one part when he was getting a long better with everyone they showed him at a gym playing basketball with some of the other guys. :) You can probably find the episode on Youtube or something.

Yeah I kinda figured that too with the woman and the gay couple. It was really sad how she felt when anyone else was trying to voice their views, experiences etc. she ran off crying like they were all ganging up on her. :rolleyes: I couldn't watch it when she was getting holier than thou. I still couldn't believe after that one guy showed her where he grew up in the inner city that she still would rather kids live there than with a safe, loving and stable family that happens to have a gay couple!! Outrageous! And those kids are probably more than likely to get involved in gangs as well just because they want so badly that family life-style. :( I just couldn't believe that. I was also thinking that she was probably brain-washed because whenever someone tried to talk to her about it she just cut them off and went away and kept saying the same arguments over and over again. It's all the basic talking points and she appeared to not have an original thought at all about the situation. I was hoping perhaps that situation would at least give her some original thoughts. It was also sad too since she herself was an adopted kid and it's so hard sometimes for the older adoptive kids to find good homes. I'm sorry but I'd rather a gay couple adopt a kid instead of him/her ending up on the streets and with gangs where there's violence, drugs and probably sex.

That would be a good investment. :) It's a really great show. :D I'm glad you started this thread.

Yeah, one of the things I liked most in that episode was at the one party where she's arguing with the older lesbian lady, and ends up going inside to avoid further arguing. She then says something like "People talk to me like they expect me to have all the answers". I think what she really meant was that she had never really thought very deeply about it before, only espousing ideas she had been taught, and now that her view was being questioned and she didn't have the answers to the questions, she was breaking down. It's like, you don't have to have all of the answers, but you just shouldn't act like you do, if you don't.

Another thing about the episode I liked was in the beginning, one of the fathers told his son before school that some kids might think their situation was weird, and the son would have to decide whether or not he wanted to tell others. The woman talked about how horrible that was, for this little boy to have to decide whether or not to tell his peers about his two gay dads, and how it wouldn't be a problem if they weren't together or didn't have children. I wanted to jump into the TV, and say "No, it's because of people like you, not people like them. If people like you didn't have such an irrational problem with gay people in the first place, then it would be no big deal to be in that kid's situation."

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
what have you got against violence drugs and sex? there one of those things that keep life interesting

I wouldn't say they're inherently bad, but when used improperly as kids are wont to do, they can be. It's just that little kids shouldn't be exposed to that kind of stuff, and have it be a very prevalent part of their lives.