• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2+2=5

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Sagan mode:

AZA
BZB
CZC

AYAZA
AYBZB
BYAZB
AYCZC
CYAZC

AYAYAZA
AYAYBZB
AYBYAZB
BYAYAZB

BZBYA
BZAYB
AZAYA

BYBZC
CZBYB
BYCZD
DZBYC
DZCYB
CYCZE
BYDZE
DYBZE

BYBZC
CZBYB
BYBZBYB
BYBYBZD

--------------------------

CYCZF :p

Photonic

Ad astra!
One of my biggest pet peeves is quantum quackery and physicists (and laypersons) who don't understand the distinction between scientific interpretation and reality. Particles aren't really points (that's absurd), nor are they literally a superposition of particles and waves at the same time (also absurd), etc.

Much of the field I'm going into involves the fundamental problem of attempting to describe a system we're a part of. As you noted, it's not only a pervasive problem in quantum physics but also on large scale physics: we must use tricks like topos/category/sheaf theories, noncommutative geometry, fuzzy sets, etc. Cosmology is therefore only about 1/3 physics -- it's also 1/3 pure mathematics and 1/3 metaphysics. Many, many, many people -- some physicists included -- forget, undermine, or misunderstand the most important part (the metaphysics).

Speaking of wavicles :p

What about it would you like to discuss?

I don't need to discuss, it was relevant to the earlier conversation. :D

I was just throwing in helpful topics, and standing by to watch the fallout.

As an astrophysics student, I approve of your awesome major!

(Not that you need me to.)

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I don't need to discuss, it was relevant to the earlier conversation. :D

I was just throwing in helpful topics, and standing by to watch the fallout.

As an astrophysics student, I approve of your awesome major!

(Not that you need me to.)

I salute you sir :p You have to do the really hard stuff, like get exact answers. In cosmology the magnitude of acceptable error can approach factor 10, so we get to scribble on scratch paper and call it a day!

Photonic

Ad astra!
Last edited: