• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1st day of Ridvan

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Today is the first day of Rodvan.
Those observing the same; kindly do share what this day is all about; as am unaware of its significance and its meaning etc.
Love & rgds

arthra

Baha'i
Friends,
Today is the first day of Rodvan.
Those observing the same; kindly do share what this day is all about; as am unaware of its significance and its meaning etc.
Love & rgds

Thanks for your post Zenzero! and welcome to the Baha'i Forum!

There was an earlier post that you can read at

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/bahai-faith/78808-ridvan-festival-sacred-time-bahais.html

The first day of Rizwan is a Baha'i Holy Day and is a day when work and school are suspended for Baha'is.

Essentially it commemorates the Proclamation of Baha'u'llah that He was the Promised One .. the One Whom God would make manifest promised by His Forerunner , the Bab. This proclamation was made in an island of the Tigris River near Baghdad on April 21st 1863 to a few of His select followers and members of His family.

The Festival of Rizwan actually lasts for twelve days and there are three Holy Days April 21st, April 29th and May 2nd that are observed.

Baha'i communities around the world also elect their local administrative bodies on the first day of Rizwan.. So in prayer each community by secret ballot elects the nine adult believers who will be responsible for the business of the local Baha'i community.

There are also Conventions that are held annually during Rizwan that elect the members of the National Spiritual Assemblies around the world.

So Rizwan has a very important significance for us and as Shoghi Effendi described it as the holiest and most significant of all Baha'i Festivals!

- Art