• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

17 Arrested in Alledged Canadian Terror Plot

maggie2

Last night and early this morning 17 people have been arrested in the Toronto area. They are being labelled as a homegrown terrorist group. Twelve of these people are men and five are boys under 18 years of age. Apparently they had plans to bomb several buildings, including the headquarters of Canada's spy agency, which is right next to the CN Tower in Toronto, and the Parliament buildings in Ottawa.

They had three tons of amonium nitrate, three times the amount used to blow up the Murrah building in Oklahoma City. They also had several devices needed to build bombs. I think I also heard somewhere that they also have firearms, but I'm not sure about that.

Apparently most of these people were Canadian citizens, actually born here in Canada. This seems like the group that bombed the subways in London; they were all British citizens - in other words, homegrown. The cops here say there may still be more arrests in the days ahead.

It makes a person wonder what tey can do to help difuse this kind of thing. I do not believe for one minute that the war in Iraq is helping resolve the terrorist problem. In fact, if anything, I think it is making the problem worse. However, I'm more interested in a discussion of what we as individuals can do to help resolve this problem.

Steven Harper (our right-wing-nut Prime Minister) just gave a speech and I thought I was listening to Bush. Harper spouted the garbage that they hate our democracy and freedom and on and on. That is the worse bull possible. It doesn't address the problem because it doesn't identify the problem. Our democracy and freedom are not the problem. Some of the problem is how the west treats the rest of the world but our democracy is not part of the problem.

I'd like to start a discussion about this issue. What IS the problem? And once you have identified the problem, what solutions can you suggest? We are not going to get rid of terrorism by war. We have to be more creative than that. I'd love to hear everyone's views of the problems and how to solve them.

One thing I know, I'm not willing to walk around in fear and allow a few nuts to usurp my freedom. I'm not going to quit going where I want and doing what I want because someone might blow up a building or some such thing.

Smoke

Done here.
maggie2 said:
One thing I know, I'm not willing to walk around in fear and allow a few nuts to usurp my freedom. I'm not going to quit going where I want and doing what I want because someone might blow up a building or some such thing.
Well, we went to the Statue of Liberty last year because my better half had never been, and I'm glad we went. But security was so much tighter than my last visit that I thought it verged on the ridiculous. I've been there only three times, but I don't think I'll be taking my shoes off to make it four.

I think "security" has already reached unacceptable levels, and I doubt that it really does a lot to ensure our safety. Even if it did, what good would safety be if it was bought by the complete surrender of privacy and liberty?

I haven't flown in years, and I dread the next time. Partly because I've always been a little nervous about flying, partly because you can't smoke anymore, but mostly the sheer indignity to which you have to submit to get on the plane.

maggie2

I agree, Midnight Blue, I don't think more security is the answer either. I also agree that it has been overdone already.

I hear you about flying. I have always disliked flying and will only do so now if I really want to go somewhere I can't drive. I don't want to have to go through all the stuff you have to go through at the airports. I haven't flown since 9/11 so I haven't experienced it but I know some who have and found the searches overdone.

And Becky I honestly don't find it scarey, I just see it as the new reality and I am not going to walk around in fear all the time. That would be letting the terrorists win and I ain't doin' that!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think there is a tendency on the part of Islamic fundamentalists to see the West as morally corrupt, and to see our liberties and democracy as part of that corruption. But more important than that, IMO, is the resentment of Western cultural influence and national power on Muslim nations. I stongly suspect there are other reasons too.