• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1 in 5 Americans can expect to get some form of depression in their lifetime

Unedited

“1 in 5 Americans can expect to get some form of depression in their lifetime.”

Now, I’m sure there’s another debate about over medication in this statistic somewhere, but do you think it’s true? Or, more generally, do you think drug companies are taking advantage of statistics like these? I think it’s misleading at least in the fact that “some form of depression” far from means anything severe, or even drug worthy. And I have to wonder if someone is more likely to go to his or her doctor for medication if they feel like everyone else is doing it already.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
angellous_evangellous said:
I think that figure may be too small...

One in five people will be affected by depression at some point in their life.1 Approximately one in one hundred people will experience manic depression at some point in their life.2

More than 2.9 million people in the UK are diagnosed as having depression at any one time3. As many as three in four cases of depression are neither recognised nor treated4

The Economic Cost of Depression
The World Health Organisation estimates that by the year 2020, major depression will be second only by chronic heart disease as an international health burden (this is measured by its cause of death, disability, incapacity to work and the medical resources it uses). 5

There are 30 working days lost due to depression and anxiety for every single day lost to industrial disputes. 6

Depression & Suicide
About 1 in 6 people who experience severe depression eventually commit suicide. 7 70% of recorded suicides are by people who have experienced some form of depression8

9 20% of all deaths by young people are by suicide.10 Suicide rates amongst young Asian women born in the Indian sub-continent are 21% higher than in the general population11

75% of all suicides in the UK are by men.12 Older men have the highest suicide rates in the UK, whilst young men have the fastest rising suicide rates in the UK (an increase of 85% between 1980-199013). it has been suggested that that high rate of suicide among 15-24 year old young men may be related to an increased fear of unemployment, alcohol/drug misuse, and parental marital breakdown.14

Attempted suicide has increased by 50% since 1990. More than 2 young people commit suicide every day in the UK and Ireland.

Source:-http://www.epolitix.com/EN/Forums/Depression+Alliance/05CB4E74-EC54-440D-91E6-78CDD673D240.htm.
Actually AE, I thought it was 1 in 3. Perhaps things are looking up!:)

Unedited

How about this statistic: While 1 in 5 Americans will suffer from depression, only 75% will be severe enough to warrant any sort of treatment, and only 1 in 20 Americans are severely depressed.

Or this: 90% of people diagnosed with depression believe they have severe depression. But, only 35% of people diagnosed with depression are severly depressed. And, 50% of people with severe depression are initially unaware their depression is severe.

Severe depression is characterized (in this study) by a pressing danger of suicide or self-harm, and a major inability to function in everyday life.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Unedited said:
Or this: 90% of people diagnosed with depression believe they have severe depression. But, only 35% of people diagnosed with depression are severly depressed.
That makes sense . We compare things using our own experiences , so we tend to think that bad is as bad as it gets .

Or as Amanda Marshall puts it ...

" See my eyes, don't see what I see
Touch my tongue, don't know what tastes good to me "

Draka

Wonder Woman
Okay, the thing that gets me is that I believe very strongly that the drug companies are constantly coming up with new "disorders" and "diseases" that will make them money. If someone is truly depressed then they need counseling and need to get to the root of their depression so it can be dealt with. Taking a pill to make you feel better doesn't help you cope with whatever problem you have...it just covers it up and makes you dependent on the drugs to live your life.

This is another reason that I don't believe in a lot of the newest "disorders" and "diseases". Things like depression, anxiety, ADD and ADHD are not diseases or disorders in my book. They are normal things that people must deal with that they have to learn how to handle. As for ADD and ADHD...the vast majority of children "diagnosed" with these are of above normal intelligence...they're not ADHD...they're smart and bored off their butts. If ADHD was a thing in my school days I would have been drugged in a heartbeat. It has been batted around by others that they think my daughter is ADHD and might need medication because she won't pay attention to "age-appropriate" activities and games. Bull! The girl could sit and play chess for hours since the age of 4! She is extremely intelligent and if given an adult activity, game, or book to read then she is fine.

Sorry...this is a ranting subject for me. I apologize for going off.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Draka said:
Okay, the thing that gets me is that I believe very strongly that the drug companies are constantly coming up with new "disorders" and "diseases" that will make them money. If someone is truly depressed then they need counseling and need to get to the root of their depression so it can be dealt with. Taking a pill to make you feel better doesn't help you cope with whatever problem you have...it just covers it up and makes you dependent on the drugs to live your life.

This is another reason that I don't believe in a lot of the newest "disorders" and "diseases". Things like depression, anxiety, ADD and ADHD are not diseases or disorders in my book. They are normal things that people must deal with that they have to learn how to handle. As for ADD and ADHD...the vast majority of children "diagnosed" with these are of above normal intelligence...they're not ADHD...they're smart and bored off their butts. If ADHD was a thing in my school days I would have been drugged in a heartbeat. It has been batted around by others that they think my daughter is ADHD and might need medication because she won't pay attention to "age-appropriate" activities and games. Bull! The girl could sit and play chess for hours since the age of 4! She is extremely intelligent and if given an adult activity, game, or book to read then she is fine.

What she said

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
And what about DID ? Don't know if drugs are used to " treat " it , but do know that there is a debate over if it is a " real " condition or not . Many say that it is just " the favour of the day " type of thing . Much like ADAH in my opinion . Not that it does exist , but that many are too quick to jump in it as the answer for every problem that comes ago in the classroom .

Now I agree that there is huge money in drugs . And I don't trust them . However , I will use them if I feel that they help .

Scott C.

Just one guy
“1 in 5 Americans can expect to get some form of depression in their lifetime.”

Now, I’m sure there’s another debate about over medication in this statistic somewhere, but do you think it’s true? Or, more generally, do you think drug companies are taking advantage of statistics like these? I think it’s misleading at least in the fact that “some form of depression” far from means anything severe, or even drug worthy. And I have to wonder if someone is more likely to go to his or her doctor for medication if they feel like everyone else is doing it already.

I think some people need meds to help them through depression, anxiety and other disorders. Some don't need them. They are probably over used. Personally, I believe if meds are used, the person should also use some type of therapy, even if self therapy through a good book. Often the meds can be eliminated over time. At least that's what I hear and it make sense to me.

Scott C.

Just one guy

You might soften your position if these issues ever hit home hard. Some people are too quick to turn to meds, but brain chemistry varies from person to person. The root of depression might not be anything more than brain chemicals. If that is the root of the problem, meds can help. I know a man, he was my LDS Bishop several years ago. He used to say that if people are depressed, they just need to get happy and smell the roses. Several years later, he suffered major depression and still fights it. He has said that he completely underestimated this problem in the past and over simplified the solution.