• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1 Corinthians 4:4 righteousness vs faith

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
1 Corinthians 4:4
Righteousness, the illusory but real 'works', that may condemn one to Hell.

Works are necessary, what are works...in other words. And normal works can't save.

Thanks!

Ellen Brown

Go on. All too often these conversations start to feel like impossible riddles where there is no way to please God. Just saying how it makes me feel.

Contrast that with Micah 6:8 8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

And

Jesus' own, John 13:34 34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Any more is too much. After what I've seen...

Misunderstood

1 Corinthians 4:4
Righteousness, the illusory but real 'works', that may condemn one to Hell.

Works are necessary, what are works...in other words. And normal works can't save.

Thanks!
Did you get the right verse? I do not understand how it connects to what you say, except in a vague way. Maybe you could put down a bit more explaining the connection?

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Did you

Did you get the right verse? I not not understand how it connects to what you say, except in a vague way. Maybe you could put down a bit more explaining the connection?

You do agree that the verse has meaning towards the concepts, of righteousness, and 'works', I take it.

How could it not. If the premise is vague, the concepts are not vague, and vary greatly in belief, as pertains, to such.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Go on. All too often these conversations start to feel like impossible riddles where there is no way to please God. Just saying how it makes me feel.

Contrast that with Micah 6:8 8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

And

Jesus' own, John 13:34 34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Any more is too much. After what I've seen...
I don't believe that ultimately, the idea of doing things correctly, as pertains to our faith, leads to an impossible riddle. It might contradict common teachings, from some religious groups, so forth.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Did you

Did you get the right verse? I not not understand how it connects to what you say, except in a vague way. Maybe you could put down a bit more explaining the connection?
The works referred to in this verse, are not of his own, in a direct manner. If the works are not solely his, they cannot save in a 'normal works', manner, and, he says as such. Yet, he is justified regardless.
So, what is this telling us?
He certaimly does not say that works are judged by others.

Ellen Brown

I don't believe that ultimately, the idea of doing things correctly, as pertains to our faith, leads to an impossible riddle. It might contradict common teachings, from some religious groups, so forth.

I come out of really strange fundamentalism and barely escaped alive.

Misunderstood

The works referred to in this verse, are not of his own, in a direct manner. If the works are not solely his, they cannot save in a 'normal works', manner, and, he says as such. Yet, he is justified regardless.
So, what is this telling us?
He certaimly does not say that works are judged by others.

Thank you for that second reply to my post, it does help add a little light to what was said.

I posted I Corinthians 4:1-5 just for reference. I feel you are referring to the judgment meaning a judgment for a person works. I agree we will be judged for our works, but feel the judgment goes much further than that. As pointed out in verse 5 I feel our heart will be judged also.

4/1 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.

2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.

3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.

4 For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.

5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.