• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“You Only Live Once”

Treasure Hunter

This seems to be a common phrase people use to try to empower themselves, thinking it will help derive more value out of life.

The Son of Man — the one who successfully navigates through the story and enters into eternal life — doesn’t view life this way. He trusts his name is written in permanent ink in the book of life. Because of this, he chooses to risk death rather than cling to a counterfeit paradise.

The only-live-oncers are unable to give up their lives in this way. They inevitably fluctuate between some combo of hedonic pleasure seeking and societal conformity. Without realizing it, they’ve already rejected the SoM and chosen death. Where is the wisdom in trying to maximize life when you’ve already chosen death?

Treasure Hunter

Listen, whoever identifies with the one who identifies with eternal life will condemn their life, and whoever is condemned is not allowed to go quietly into the night. This is a sacred truth.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Catholicism in particular educates children to the awareness of death.
Memento mori.
We all will die. That's the only certainty we have. We can die by cancer or in an accident...or of old age.

This awareness makes life valuable, but at the same time, people become ready when it's time.
Because they know what's afterwards. After death. And that doesn't scare them.

Treasure Hunter

Catholicism in particular educates children to the awareness of death.
Memento mori.
We all will die. That's the only certainty we have. We can die by cancer or in an accident...or of old age.

This awareness makes life valuable, but at the same time, people become ready when it's time.
Because they know what's afterwards. After death. And that doesn't scare them.
There is great value in bringing awareness to death, but identification with eternal life should come first. Death is the enemy of eternal life. Once that’s established, then we should strive to accept death.

Death is insidious in the way it sneakily tries to sever the connection to eternal life. We must be on guard and stand strong!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Listen, whoever identifies with the one who identifies with eternal life will condemn their life, and whoever is condemned is not allowed to go quietly into the night. This is a sacred truth.
It's not a truth as it's just your unsubstantiated opinion.

But I do agree it's a theological concept , and therefore remains a theological concept however you want to frame it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This seems to be a common phrase people use to try to empower themselves, thinking it will help derive more value out of life.

The Son of Man — the one who successfully navigates through the story and enters into eternal life — doesn’t view life this way. He trusts his name is written in permanent ink in the book of life. Because of this, he chooses to risk death rather than cling to a counterfeit paradise.

The only-live-oncers are unable to give up their lives in this way. They inevitably fluctuate between some combo of hedonic pleasure seeking and societal conformity. Without realizing it, they’ve already rejected the SoM and chosen death. Where is the wisdom in trying to maximize life when you’ve already chosen death?

You don't see what's going on? We just don't see the religious claims you've accepted as credible.

I see life as precious and I'm open to extending it, but I'm only really focused on options that I see as possible, so this doesn't include your religion.

I mean, from my perspective, you may as well be asking "if money means so much to you that you work and budget, why aren't you interested in the magic money tree in my backyard?"

Ostronomos

The atheist/ theist debate is ongoing because neither side is totally and utterly aware of the fact that consciousness continues after the death of the body. A fitting description of death as no more than an illusion of change would suffice.

Religion and science are not totally incompatible. Mankind is hardwired to believe in God. If everyone could become the highest of geniuses they would successfully prove the existence of God using logic.

Treasure Hunter

You don't see what's going on? We just don't see the religious claims you've accepted as credible.

I see life as precious and I'm open to extending it, but I'm only really focused on options that I see as possible, so this doesn't include your religion.

I mean, from my perspective, you may as well be asking "if money means so much to you that you work and budget, why aren't you interested in the magic money tree in my backyard?"
You don’t see what’s going on? This isn’t about accepting claims. It’s deeper than that. It’s about identity.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you're being a bit one-sided here - different strokes for different folks.

There was a distinction I came across describing how religions can be classified as either "death preparing" religions or "life living" religions. For the "death preparing" religions - the ones who fixate on promises of an afterlife - the perspective you offer makes sense. For the "life living" religions - the ones that focus on the here and now - not so much. Both paths are capable of living a good life on those courses and it's not really fair to condemn the "life living" religions as somehow less-than. They are not.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The atheist/ theist debate is ongoing because neither side is totally and utterly aware of the fact that consciousness continues after the death of the body. A fitting description of death as no more than an illusion of change would suffice.

Religion and science are not totally incompatible. Mankind is hardwired to believe in God. If everyone could become the highest of geniuses they would successfully prove the existence of God using logic.
Where did you get all that from?

Treasure Hunter

I think you're being a bit one-sided here - different strokes for different folks.

There was a distinction I came across describing how religions can be classified as either "death preparing" religions or "life living" religions. For the "death preparing" religions - the ones who fixate on promises of an afterlife - the perspective you offer makes sense. For the "life living" religions - the ones that focus on the here and now - not so much. Both paths are capable of living a good life on those courses and it's not really fair to condemn the "life living" religions as somehow less-than. They are not.
I don’t make a distinction the way you’ve done it here. We were promised a new paradise in this world. I demand what belongs to me, as promised, right here and right now. No conditions. If something belongs to me, I don’t negotiate conditions for exchange. This mindset and posture comes before what I shared in the OP.

Last edited: