• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Why do we still need feminism?”

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I’m glaring conspicuously at various threads that exist right now:

is science a woman, if science were a woman would she be a smart one (granted, posted by the same person), should women be silent and subservient thread (complete with multiple assertions and defenses of sex roles and some veiled and not-so-veiled remarks about male superiority).

And this is all in the last two weeks. Cue the Benny Hill music.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Because even in this enlightened age there are still misogynistic men. As is evident by the threads you mentioned.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Because even in this enlightened age there are still misogynistic men. As is evident by the threads you mentioned.
Here, lots of guys were averse to a Hillary presidency, or any women being president, because she'll have her finger on the button her time of the month and be too emotionally wrecked to be president.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Here, lots of guys were averse to a Hillary presidency, or any women being president, because she'll have her finger on the button her time of the month and be too emotionally wrecked to be president.

Maggie Thatcher proved women can be top female dog (profanity filter take note) women have lead several countries. As is typical, America is behind the times

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Maggie Thatcher proved women can be top female dog (profanity filter take note) women have lead several countries. As is typical, America is behind the times
Even Australia had a female leader for a short time. Granted we don’t vote for people, like the US does. Instead we vote for parties who’s leaders are able to change without public consensus. Which is how Gillard became PM. But still. She had to get the backing of her political party. :shrug:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

There was no eyeroll react so that one got an Optimistic because... hopefully, uh, some day that gets better?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

The internalized misogyny made me cringe more for whatever reason. Blatant misogyny is one thing, but it's an obvious monster. The internalized sort is more insidious.

I mean, I stand by support for housewives choosing to be housewives. But many comments were going beyond this to justifying why women should, or that it's natural to defer to husbands, etc.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Women and girls are disproportionally affected by trafficking, so I think it's pertinent.

Yes trafficking predominantly affects females but that doesn't equate to feminism, just poor law and a general unwillingness to end slavery because there is big money in it.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Yes trafficking predominantly affects females but that doesn't equate to feminism, just poor law and a general unwillingness to end slavery because there is big money in it.

From my perspective, anything about society with disproportionate, sex-based consequences or marginalization relates to feminism, because the problems feminism seeks to resolve are cultural.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
For instance, stereotypes (racist and sexist) play a role in categorizing potential trafficking victims. That's a very feminist concern, I'd argue

ChristineM

Premium Member
Ok. But it not solely females who are trafficked, although they are the majority. I think its more a legal issue that needs to be enforced.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Ok. But it not solely females who are trafficked, although they are the majority. I think its more a legal issue that needs to be enforced.

Agreed, but we can be concerned from a feminist perspective and concerned about other victims at the same time.

The feminist aspect of this would be examining the culture leading to the demand, the culture that props it up, the cultural cues that are exploited by traffickers, etc.

It's still a legal issue too, I was only defending why I think it's topic-appropriate re: feminism

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I'm of course not the arbiter of what is and isn't feminism. I'm pretty intersectional in my feminism. So I hope I haven't come off like that or anything!

ChristineM

Premium Member
Agreed, but we can be concerned from a feminist perspective and concerned about other victims at the same time.

The feminist aspect of this would be examining the culture leading to the demand, the culture that props it up, the cultural cues that are exploited by traffickers, etc.

It's still a legal issue too, I was only defending why I think it's topic-appropriate re: feminism

I see now why it was included but im more concerned from a human perspective as u would expect any hslf decent human to be.

I'm of course not the arbiter of what is and isn't feminism. I'm pretty intersectional in my feminism. So I hope I haven't come off like that or anything!

Nope, you haven't, what you've come across as is someone who cares.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Equality doesn't apply only to gender.

My point in asking for clarification is that i see human trafficking as a human problem not a feminist thing although any feminist would be concerned just as anyone should be concerned.