• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘Unacceptable and wrong’: Trudeau says vandalizing churches can hurt those seeking ‘solace’

danieldemol

Premium Member
'Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is speaking out against multiple acts of vandalism that have taken place across Canada, from the burning of churches to red paint being splattered across buildings and toppled statues.

70c8fc80

“It is unacceptable and wrong that acts of vandalism and arson are being seen across the country, including against Catholic churches,” Trudeau said, speaking at a press conference on Friday.

“I understand the anger that’s out there against the federal government, against institutions like the Catholic Church. It is real and it’s fully understandable, given the shameful history that we are all becoming more and more aware of and engaging ourselves to do better as Canadians.”...

...Politicians aren’t the only ones speaking out about the recent events.

In a video posted to YouTube on Tuesday, Arthur Noskey, the Treaty 8 First Nations of Alberta grand chief, pleaded with members of the community to leave the churches alone because the destruction of these buildings could take important evidence down with them.

“We’re asking you to refrain from vigilante actions against the church buildings. We’re discouraging it…. We don’t want to destroy evidence, and these are crime scenes,” Noskey said.

“We’re going to do this right.”'

Source: ‘Unacceptable and wrong’: Trudeau says vandalizing churches can hurt those seeking ‘solace’

I can understand that people are angry, but couldn't picture myself setting fire to the churches, especially since it may have the unintended consequence of erasing history.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Yeah it's wrong.

If it was only all Catholic churches, I'd wager that the motives had to do with hatred against something bad priests do. But since that doesn't seem to be the case (only Catholic churches), I'm not sure.

Viker

Häxan
Seems a lot of this crap is back lash from recent findings of bodies at old boarding schools.

Viker

Häxan
It doesn't seem to be the First Nations communities who are responsible for the church burnings, at least not the initial wave, given that it was the chiefs of the reservations who first voiced concerns over them being cases of arson.

Two Catholic churches destroyed by fire on First Nations reserves in Canada
Reminds me of the riots in my city last year. Peaceful demonstrations turned to chaos. It was mostly non-residents to blame for the violence we discovered later.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Yeah it's wrong.

If it was only all Catholic churches, I'd wager that the motives had to do with hatred against something bad priests do. But since that doesn't seem to be the case (only Catholic churches), I'm not sure.
It's specifically churches built on First Nations reservations, as far as I can tell, and the First Nations themselves seem to have distanced themselves from these cases of vandalism, so motivation and identity of the perpetrators seem somewhat mysterious.
It could be angry Indigenuous people clandestinely working against their own communities, but it could also be White supremacists trying to remove evidence of their genocide.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member