• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite ritual object

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Hello everyone !

Well, title is pretty self explanatory but here we go :

Is there an object in your religious practice that you particularly like, find meaningful/beautiful or just enjoy seeing or practicing with ?

It could be a book, a kind of rosary, or a statue, even a local place or a picture... Or your whole altar ! Let's share pictures of it or them in this thread and discover more about each other's religions.

Here is one of mine: my damaru !
PXL-20210419-1738061162.jpg

It's a kind of drum used in some practices in tibetan Shamanism that got carried into tibetan Buddhism, they are still practiced by both nowadays.

Some exemples of use :
Chod_28_20.jpg

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Rosary beads.

I like wearing them around my neck, tucked under my shirt or T-shirt, on the go: so that if/when I get a spare moment, it can be used for some quiet meditative and contemplative prayer.

The way the rosary beads are structured, you are encouraged to reflect on the Mysteries of the Rosary, which act as a guided meditation through various important incidents in the life of Jesus and His Mother Mary that are celebrated in the Catholic Liturgy:

upload_2021-7-5_14-8-50.png

The set I use belonged to my late great-grandmother, so it has personal meaning to me.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
First off, though unconventional, this isn't a joke. It's this:

images (9).jpeg

And let me explain why. In the past, Nintendo has been pretty careful what software they allow on their system.

However, some of those restrictions seem to be gone. My Nintendo Switch has software for palm reading, astrology, psychology tests, and best of all, a tarot game containing multiple decks.

Proof:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Hello everyone !

Is there an object in your religious practice that you particularly like, find meaningful/beautiful or just enjoy seeing or practicing with ?

It could be a book, a kind of rosary, or a statue, even a local place or a picture... Or your whole altar ! Let's share pictures of it or them in this thread and discover more about each other's religions.

It's a kind of drum used in some practices in tibetan Shamanism that got carried into tibetan Buddhism, they are still practiced by both nowadays.

Some exemples of use :
Chod_28_20.jpg

Kewl.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
First off, though unconventional, this isn't a joke. It's this:

View attachment 52278

And let me explain why. In the past, Nintendo has been pretty careful what software they allow on their system.

However, some of those restrictions seem to be gone. My Nintendo Switch has software for palm reading, astrology, psychology tests, and best of all, a tarot game containing multiple decks.

Proof:

My old ipod lives in my hand. I don't mean I have it with me a lot, I mean it actually lives in my hand (Drop7).

2090185C-34BF-401D-8DEC-37F9FEA52D07.jpeg

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Aarati tray. It’s waved in a clockwise direction in front of the deity while singing or chanting in praise, thanks, and devotion. This is the one I usually make. Sometimes I put an incense cone, a small bit of uncooked turmeric-colored rice, a “snack” (dried fruit/nut mix) and water in tiny brass bowls along with the oil lamp and fresh flower(s).

6D9B4DD7-8BE5-4ACF-8C82-DA1F494945F5.jpeg

The second one is the example from the Wikipedia aarati article. I got my copycat idea from that. :)

Attachments

• ADD30C15-5698-4D1D-9108-7B29A24A45AE.png
    ADD30C15-5698-4D1D-9108-7B29A24A45AE.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 2

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hello everyone !

Some exemples of use :
Chod_28_20.jpg

Reminds me of Nataraja's Drum. The brass lingam on my home shrine is special. So is a particular murthi of Ganesha currently enshrined in the temple I attend most often. Let's just say he's been around the block, and I often followed. We'll leave it at that.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The 'Dorje or Pruba" A Buddhist traditional symbol that looks like a little barbell with three prong claw ar each end. I may provide more later. Many of the recent ones are brass versions with a bar in the claw on each end the oldest ones do not have this bar and arms of the claw do not join.

See: Bell and Dorje: Understanding Ritual Objects

Last edited:

Gargovic Malkav

Though more of a decorative item rather than a ritual object, I have a clock on my wall with no pointers.
This somewhat reflects my view of worldly existence vs. spiritual existence.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Though more of a decorative item rather than a ritual object, I have a clock on my wall with no pointers.
This somewhat reflects my view of worldly existence vs. spiritual existence.

Ah . . . time still passes in every human mind, regardless of what one believes.

The later Dorje are more decorative, but yes by most Buddhists consider it a spiritual symbolic object. The earlier ones were made of different materials even sandal wood. The claws were open and the points curved out. It may have had healing uses such as accupressure, and/or as a pressure point weapon.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
My resin burner made from repurposed items, pictured in this post:
Incense
I have taken up covering the resin dish with an inverted brass votive holder with moon-shaped cut outs, so it now looks like this: sometimes I'll put an empty tealight tray with some essential oil on top of it if I want to layer fragrances.
sunmoon burner.png