• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why vegetarianism?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So why do vegetarians have less cancers and heart diseases? Must be eating tons of spinach.

As to the labelling, you think the Vegan Society don't check that stuff out when a company asks to use their logo?
Dunno where in the world they get it then.

There are at least 7 essentials that are just about, or outright impossible to extract from plants.

You are consuming some animal matter no matter what in order to stay healthy.

As Ripley would say, "Believe it or not".

7 Nutrients You Can’t Get from Plants

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Why do I choose vegetarianism?

I believe animals do have souls
Animals do feel pain, they get scared and other negative feelings
Animals is also very itelligent. More intelligent than what human thought earlier

And it is more climate-friendly to not eat meat

Because of this I am vegetarian.

Any thoughts? Why are you vegetarian or vegan? Why do you eat meat?

I eat meat.

1. I like meat
2. I consider eating meat a natural aspect of reality

Meanwhile, I also expect animals to be treated properly and humanely while alive.
I am absolutely against inflicting unnecessary suffering on any sentient creature.
Slaughter of animals to harvest meat as such should also be done with care and extra effort to reduce suffering to an absolute minimum.

Purely the principle of eating meat, I have no, and see no, ethical issues with it at all.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Dunno where in the world they get it then.

There are at least 7 essentials that are just about, or outright impossible to extract from plants.

You are consuming some animal matter no matter what in order to stay healthy.

As Ripley would say, "Believe it or not".

7 Nutrients You Can’t Get from Plants
Literally, this source you've provided doesn't agree with you. Of the 7 it lists, none of them are impossible for vegetarians or vegans to consume (it literally lists the vegan or vegetarian sources in many cases), or it says they're explicitly non-essential.

Did you even read it?

UPDATE: This is literally the top result when I Googled "nutrients you can't get from plants". Real great research.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
A better question would be " why not eat meat?"
The truth is it's a lot more humane to eat one deer or cow than to eat the soybeans that caused the slaughter of hundreds to thousands of little critters every time they were planted or harvested.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
A better question would be " why not eat meat?"
The truth is it's a lot more humane to eat one deer or cow than to eat the soybeans that caused the slaughter of hundreds to thousands of little critters every time they were planted or harvested.
Do you have any idea how many crops are grown just to feed one deer or cow?

I mean, if your argument is genuinely a numbers game...

Twilight Hue

Literally, this source you've provided doesn't agree with you. Of the 7 it lists, none of them are impossible for vegetarians or vegans to consume (it literally lists the vegan or vegetarian sources in many cases), or it says they're explicitly non-essential.

Did you even read it?

UPDATE: This is literally the top result when I Googled "nutrients you can't get from plants". Real great research.
Apparently you never read who the reviewer was.

Medically reviewed by Kim Chin, RD, Nutrition — By Atli Arnarson BSc, PhD — Updated on Jun 9, 2021

Real great attention to detail.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Apparently you never read who the reviewer was.

Medically reviewed by Kim Chin, RD, Nutrition — By Atli Arnarson BSc, PhD — Updated on Jun 9, 2021

Real great attention to detail.
What does that have to do with anything? Do you think I claimed the article is inaccurate?

Twilight Hue

What does that have to do with anything? Do you think I claimed the article is inaccurate?
It talks about optional health and points out the sources of those nutrients are not plant based.

It dosent conflict with the Nature article either by which the most healthy people are those who eat meat and vegetables in a balanced way surpassed those who don't overall.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yes it is.

I'll go with the experts on this matter, as those in the peer reviewed and published Nature article provided in the link I provided to back that up.

Any essential supplements you take to make up the deficiencies are, with a fair degree of certainty, comes from animal matter.
Why are you so adamant about dying on this hill?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
It talks about optional health and points out the sources of those nutrients are not plant based.
Can you find one example of a nutrient listed in that article that is 1) essential and 2) has no non-animal alternative sources?

Because I went through the article, and the only ones I saw that are specifically listed as having no non-animal based alternatives are explicitly stated to be non-essential.

It dosent conflict with the Nature article either by which the most healthy people are those who eat meat and vegetables in a balanced way surpassed those who don't overall.
Well, obviously, because meat is both more widely available and rich source of various vitamins and minerals. But that doesn't mean vegetarians or vegans CAN'T get them, it just means it's HARDER to do.

You made two claims:

"There are at least 7 essentials that are just about, or outright impossible to extract from plants.

You are consuming some animal matter no matter what in order to stay healthy."

The article you provided supports neither claim.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm an animist.

Everything is people. Everything as a "soul" as the Westerner would put it.

Being a person or having a "soul" doesn't mean you are not eaten.

I'll confess that as someone with a particular love of plants, it annoys me when the personhood of plants is inevitably ignored in these kinds of discussions.

I'm not a vegetarian because plants are people too and there is no escaping the fact that I must kill other people to live.

Twilight Hue

You made two claims:

"There are at least 7 essentials that are just about, or outright impossible to extract from plants.

The article you provided supports neither claim.
Your not paying attention to what your reading.

Here's the snippet from the article I linked to my post ...

However, a few nutrients are either difficult or impossible to get in adequate amounts from plant foods alone. That’s why it’s very important to be aware them and supplement your diet to maintain health or physical performance.

It's not my claim.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Your not paying attention to what your reading.

Here's the snippet from the article I linked to my post ...

However, a few nutrients are either difficult or impossible to get in adequate amounts from plant foods alone. That’s why it’s very important to be aware them and supplement your diet to maintain health or physical performance.

It's not my claim.

Your claims:

These are not the same as what the article says. I explicitly explained this. Of the seven that are listed NOT ALL ARE ESSENTIAL, and those that ARE ESSENTIAL actually DO have non-animal based alternative sources.

I find it unbelievable that you're willing to go to this level of denial.

Last edited by a moderator:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
It's not my claim.

I should have added, According to what I read.....
But it's not. You claimed there are several ESSENTIALS that are "just about or outright impossible to extract from plants".

That's categorically NOT what your source says. It explicitly lists the essentials as having alternative sources, and lists the ones without alternative sources as non-essential.

Read your own article.

Twilight Hue

Now you're just being dishonest.

Your claims:

These are not the same as what the article says. I explicitly explained this. Of the seven that are listed NOT ALL ARE ESSENTIAL, and those that ARE ESSENTIAL actually DO have non-animal based alternative sources.

I find it unbelievable that you're willing to go to this level of denial.
Like I said, Believe it or not.

I'm going to leave it at that.