• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why learn about other faiths?

How valuable is it to learn about other Faiths?

• Total voters

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Easier said than done. Outside of RF, I’m never the one to bring up religion.
Nor am I. I never talk about religion in “real life.” On forums, I will talk about my religion if it comes up in conversation, but I would much rather talk about God than religion per se. Of course, talking about God usually leads to talking about Messengers and then I end up talking about my religion.

I have to be a party pooper but I am really not that interested in religion, although it is nothing personal towards any one religion.

I am going to disagree with others in that I do not think it is “necessary” for me to know about all the older religions because I have the religion “I believe” that God wants everyone to be adhering to in this new age. I consider the older religions as relegated to history. I am sorry if that offends people but I tend to speak my mind. I would much rather spend my time talking to atheists and learning about how they think because that is more interesting.

Religion has never been my cup of tea, and I would not have ever had a religion had it not been for stumbling across the Baha’i Faith in my freshman year of college... Actually, the very first Baha’is I ever met were in Vancouver, Canada, and I became a Baha’i just across the border in Bellingham, WA. I did not live up here then, I lived in California, but I made my way back to Washington in 1988 and have been here ever since...

So what is it that you have against homeopathy? Don’t they use it a lot in the health care system in Canada? I cannot speak to the value of homeopathy for physical diseases, but after five years on antidepressant drugs that did not help me at all but rather left me with a suicidal depression, homeopathy saved my life, and I have not taken an antidepressant drug since. I later went to school to become a homeopath and I finished the program, but I had too many impediments in my way back then to use it for a career.

The only thing in my life that has helped me more than God is homeopathy. My homeopathic doctors were all licensed medical doctors in WA State.

Before I came back to the Baha’i Faith, my main passion in life was homeopathy and before that it was psychology. I wore my psychology hat a lot longer than my religion hat and I am still very interested in psychology.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
By the way, what was their caste? I know many look to Christianity and other religions in Hindu society as a means of escaping an oppressive caste system.

Caste remained the same. Indian Christians keep their caste. Please do some research on the actual effects of caste today. Effectively it is much the same as economic class in the west.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So what is it that you have against homeopathy? Don’t they use it a lot in the health care system in Canada? I cannot speak to the value of homeopathy for physical diseases, but after five years on antidepressant drugs that did not help me at all but rather left me with a suicidal depression, homeopathy saved my life, and I have not taken an antidepressant drug since. I later went to school to become a homeopath and I finished the program, but I had too many impediments in my way back then to use it for a career.

The only thing in my life that has helped me more than God is homeopathy. My homeopathic doctors were all licensed medical doctors in WA State.

Before I came back to the Baha’i Faith, my main passion in life was homeopathy and before that it was psychology. I wore my psychology hat a lot longer than my religion hat and I am still very interested in psychology.
Homeopathy is fraud.

I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but it's the simple truth. Homeopathy has been studied to death and has been conclusively found to treat no disease or condition. The fundamental premises of homeopathy are contrary to well-established science.

Anyone who supports homeopathy either doesn't know what homeopathy is or rejects science at a fundamental level.

If you want to discuss this more, we can start a different thread instead of taking this one off track.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Homeopathy is fraud.

I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but it's the simple truth. Homeopathy has been studied to death and has been conclusively found to treat no disease or condition. The fundamental premises of homeopathy are contrary to well-established science.

Anyone who supports homeopathy either doesn't know what homeopathy is or rejects science at a fundamental level.

If you want to discuss this more, we can start a different thread instead of taking this one off track.
No, I do not want to get into a debate about it. You will never convince me. I know it changed my life and the lives of other people I know. That was not the placebo effect. It also saved my cat's life. Scientists talk against homeopathy out of complete ignorance of how it works. It works on the vital force, which is the spiritual part of a person, something science cannot measure or understand, so they denigrate it. But I do not have time to get into that now, maybe later.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No, I do not want to get into a debate about it. You will never convince me. I know it changed my life and the lives of other people I know. That was not the placebo effect. It also saved my cat's life. Scientists talk against homeopathy out of complete ignorance of how it works. It works on the vital force, which is the spiritual part of a person, something science cannot measure or understand, so they denigrate it. But I do not have time to get into that now, maybe later.
If homeopathy worked by any means, even means that scientists didn't understand, the effect would still show up when homeopathy is tested. Nothing shows up.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
As a norse heathen polytheist, I have a suspicion that all gods flow from the same wellspring. We say Urd, the hindu say Brahman, to christians it is the Godhead - essentially, I consider other religious experiences just as valid as my own, even though I cannot change from the one that speaks to me. All religions are part of a greater divine plan, that I may not understand, but that it is beneficial to learn as much about as I can.
Okay, well here's something that may surprise you. I notice that you describe yourself as an animist. I am sort of an animist myself. I've had animist leanings since I was a very small child. They don't actually even contradict my religion's teachings, at least the way I interpret them. I don't tell many people this, and have never mentioned it to a fellow Mormon for fear that they wouldn't even understand what I meant.

Word. I used to shun the LDS movement on principle because I had preconceptions about them, but also because the individual members I met were really messed up. Now I have the privilege of knowing a really good man who's in the church, and he's an upstanding and striving an individual as can be. It's important to remember than we devotees are also ambassadors of our faith.
I'm glad you finally met a Mormon you could respect. I try to be that Mormon for people on this forum. Occasionally, I think, I succeed.

Hey, I just checked your profile and noticed that you're from Copenhagen. I'm going to be going there next year. That's where my husband and I will end an 18-day cruise.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If homeopathy worked by any means, even means that scientists didn't understand, the effect would still show up when homeopathy is tested. Nothing shows up.
I do not know what you mean, nothing shows up. Are you saying it does not cure anything? If it didn't why would medical doctors use it and why would it be used so many people and in health care systems all over the world?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The thing about most religious faiths is that they all promise eternal bliss for their own believers. Most religions are exclusive clubs; us against anyone different than us. I dont recognize any universal all inclusive truthes in any of the religions out there.

I prefer to study up on non religious worldviews because i sense religion becoming an artifact of the past. Secular living is only going to grow and grow.

I find religion to be distorted. Secular people are the future of humanity. Now that could be either dangerous or peaceful depending on the values they choose.

The number one truth i wish for humanity is the importance of virtues and values towards all other people no matter who they are. Justice upon the evil doers as is lawful. Civility and compassion to all others.

Evil has always been there as an enemy to mankind. Ignorance is also an enemy of mankind. I am afraid its a fact that humanity will always have to deal with it. Its more important to study to know how to deal with these two enemies than to study every faith out there.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'm glad you finally met a Mormon you could respect. I try to be that Mormon for people on this forum. Occasionally, I think, I succeed.
You do succeed. :)
I have nothing but good things to say about Mormons. The young men that ride the bikes and share their Faith are so polite and respectful... I like talking with them. Many years ago, I went to a social worker who was a Mormon. My homeopathic doctor referred me to her and he also went to her. She was an excellent counselor.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I do not know what you mean, nothing shows up. Are you saying it does not cure anything?
Yes.

Homeopathy is not effective for treating any health condition, Australia’s top body for medical research has concluded, after undertaking an extensive review of existing studies.
Homeopathy not effective for treating any condition, Australian report finds

If it didn't why would medical doctors use it and why would it be used so many people and in health care systems all over the world?
Ignorance and fraud. The homeopathic lobby has been very effective at exempting homeopathy from the normal checks and controls that actual medicine goes through.

Among many members of the public and lawmakers, there's also a fair bit of confusion about what homeopathy is; plenty of people confuse it with naturopathy.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
As with any subject matter, one must study and debate the issues to find the truth - and that can only happen if people are willing to honestly speak with one another and consider what they have to say. I'd say that more important than having the right answer is having the right spirit: be one who is willing to struggle to find the truth.
It's difficult for most to have the right spirit, because they've already been taught what's "true" by whatever the religion their parents believe in.

I know a lot of Chrstians will avoid people from other religions, other than to try and convert them, because they believe those other religions are false.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
If you only love someone so long as they don't grow as an individual, as long as they believe exactly as you do and never question it, then the problem is you.

If you know something that can seriously help others - it is not presumptuous to want to share it with them. That's like saying it's presumptuous of us to provide food and health care to struggling third world countries, or even first world regions after a devastating natural disaster or the like. If you recognize that there is a problem, and you have a solution, it is only right to try to share your knowledge and resources. If people refuse - fine, that's their call to make. What would be wrong is to not offer your help for fear that someone might be insulted.
What do you do with Hare Krishnas that are trying to convert you? Do they annoy you? I'm sure they know things you don't, but I'll bet you could careless about knowing those things. But to them, it's the truth.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
It wasn't until I learned of other faiths that I realized mine was of the true faith, and that's when I became a better person.
What led you to believe your faith was the one true faith? Hope you’re ok about me asking you that.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I got my BA in Religious Studies from a public university, where I primarily studied other, non-Christian religions. There are numerous benefits to studying other faiths. In the first place, studying other people's view points will challenge your own perspectives - providing opportunity for growth. Even if you don't change your position, you may gain a deeper understanding of why you believe what you believe.

Sounds like a valuable time with your studies. Most of the people I knew through university studied more practical courses such as medicine, dentistry, pharmacy and law. Having to pay for our education (in part) mad it more difficult studying courses that would be really interesting like religion and philosophy. Then again I live vicariously through the life’s of my friends who did.

In the second place, studying other people's beliefs allows you to better understand those people, the problems they face, their values, traditions, etc. This is important if you need to interact with others - as is common in our global economy.

This is also important in religions like Christianity where we would like to share our faith and teachings with others - you need to be able to understand your audience in order to properly reach out to them.

And, in my opinion, it's just really interesting to see both the diversity and commonality between religions and cultures.

I agree with much of this. In regards sharing your faith with others this is completely reasonable IMHO. There is great value in the traditions of each religion including Christianity. If your religion is better or less suited to an individual it’s useful to hear from a Christian or a Buddhist for example why their faith works for them. I believe there is too much sensitivity and negativity around people discussing with each other their religious beliefs. As long as people are honest and sincere it is a good thing.

iam1me

Caste remained the same. Indian Christians keep their caste. Please do some research on the actual effects of caste today. Effectively it is much the same as economic class in the west.

I have researched this matter in the past - which is why I am aware of it. So what was/is her caste?

iam1me

Sounds like a valuable time with your studies. Most of the people I knew through university studied more practical courses such as medicine, dentistry, pharmacy and law. Having to pay for our education (in part) mad it more difficult studying courses that would be really interesting like religion and philosophy. Then again I live vicariously through the life’s of my friends who did.

I also got my BS (and subsequently Masters) in Computer Science at the same time :) It did take a while longer to graduate, and it definitely cost me in terms of student loans. Although, if I had focused on just graduating - even with my BA in Religious Studies - I could have shaved off a year or two (took 6 years for undergrad, 4 for masters while working full time).

I agree with much of this. In regards sharing your faith with others this is completely reasonable IMHO. There is great value in the traditions of each religion including Christianity. If your religion is better or less suited to an individual it’s useful to hear from a Christian or a Buddhist for example why their faith works for them. I believe there is too much sensitivity and negativity around people discussing with each other their religious beliefs. As long as people are honest and sincere it is a good thing.

Indeed. People often say its rude to speak of religion, rude to speak of politics. Two of the most important topics that influence all of us - and people don't want us to speak of them.

iam1me

What do you do with Hare Krishnas that are trying to convert you? Do they annoy you? I'm sure they know things you don't, but I'll bet you could careless about knowing those things. But to them, it's the truth.

To my knowledge I haven't encountered any Hare Krishnas. I have had the occasional Jehova's Witness or other Christian group come knocking on my door to speak of their faith. I enjoy theological discussions, so I will generally entertain them.

iam1me

It's difficult for most to have the right spirit, because they've already been taught what's "true" by whatever the religion their parents believe in.

I know a lot of Chrstians will avoid people from other religions, other than to try and convert them, because they believe those other religions are false.

Indeed, I have seen that a lot within these churches - and it is a mistake. It is a mistake born out of fear - for they associate salvation with holding correct doctrine rather than with one's actions. Thus, to encourage themselves or their children to question the church dogma is to risk their salvation in their eyes. So they choose to remain ignorant rather than risk it - which is not faith. That is the opposite of faith.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you. Your answer was clear and I like that you used your own words. That gives me a sense of who you are, your connectedness to your faith as well as the necessary information.

Our belief is that The Book of Mormon is "another testament of Jesus Christ." In the Bible, Jesus Christ tells His disciples, "And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd." We believe that the people He was referring to were descendants of Lehi, who had taken his family from Jerusalem to the New World six hundred years earlier. Since He had previously stated that His personal mission was solely to the House of Israel, we believe that He was telling them that others of the House of Israel would also hear His voice and that He would make them part of His fold. The Book of Mormon foretells His coming to those people and is an account of His visit. So the two books are both intended to testify of Him. They are about different groups of people, but they are intended to go hand in hand. While The Book of Mormon does speak of various doctrines the Bible makes no mention of, it does not contradict the Bible in any way.

So as this thread is all about learning of faiths other than our own I’m curious to learn more about your beliefs so that’s really helpful.

And yes, we absolutely believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ. We believe He was with His Father "in the beginning" and that He was responsible, under His Father's direction, of creating our earth. We believe He was the divine Son of God and shared in His Father's attributes, knowledge and power. But we also believe that He looked to His Father as His God. So He is and always has been subordinate to His Father.

I hope that wasn't too much to trawl through! (Brevity is not among my strong suits.)

All good.:)