• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does Ignorance exist ?

Massimo2002

Life would be easier if people knew everything. So I see absolutely no point to Ignorance existing other than to make life harder than it already is.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Life would be easier if people knew everything. So I see absolutely no point to Ignorance existing other than to make life harder than it already is.

Perhaps knowing everything would be a great burden. After all, there are some mysteries we still don't know the answers to.

Although, I can see where, in general, people knowing more could be practical.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Would folks go watch a movie if they already knew the ending?
Maybe some would but I find it much more exciting to face the unknown. The thrill of discovery for the first time.

If one knew everything, then I think it would be difficult to find much purpose in life.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I think there are types of ignorance.
People with limited ability, I feel sorry for them.
People who have been indoctrinated, I have some sympathy but they should move on.
People who refuse to discover new thing, read, hear the other side - no sympathy for them.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Limitations to a humans learning ability.
Limitations to a humans memory
Limitations to a humans coping ability.

A person is only ignorant if another person believes it to be so. If the other person doesn't exist, then the person is just lacking information.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
How would you apply this to a species which seems to exhibit a spectrum as to so many different things - like abilities (intelligence, for example, so limits perhaps forming - as to understanding), built-in traits (or seemingly so), conditions as to their circumstances and likely futures, and much else (like being educated/indoctrinated into different beliefs)?

Last edited:

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Albeit, there are many different sorts of “ignorance” and you give no particular definition to the type that you wish to discuss here, but what if life is precisely because of ignorance and shall result in non-ignorance, upon which it shall cease to exist as that which we currently call “life”?
Then, it would be through life in general (its suffering but also its joy) that non-ignorance be made possible.

Humbly,
Hermit

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Then there would be no reason for creative innovation--something which is a hallmark of being human. Would you see omniscience as being conducive to evolution?

PureX

Veteran Member
Life would be both incredibly boring and pointless if we were omniscient. Our ignorance is one of our greatest gifts. It forces us to decide for ourselves why we exist And who we’re supposed to be. And then in fulfilling that ideal we become it. We get to ‘create ourselves’ by not knowing any better. And that gives our being here an important purpose.

Massimo2002

Life would be both incredibly boring and pointless if we were omniscient. Our ignorance is one of our greatest gifts. It forces us to decide for ourselves why we exist And who we’re supposed to be. And then in fulfilling that ideal we become it. We get to ‘create ourselves’ by not knowing any better. And that gives our being here an important purpose.
I get what you are saying but I still disagree I would rather humanity be all knowing and completely without Ignorance even at the cost of making life for some people boring. And also isn't life already pointless ?

PureX

Veteran Member
I get what you are saying but I still disagree I would rather humanity be all knowing and completely without Ignorance even at the cost of making life for some people boring. And also isn't life already pointless ?
Only if you choose to believe it is.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Life would be easier if people knew everything.
Full knowledge may help with some things. I'm not sure it would make everything easier. I'd have time to build my house, build my car, do all the plumbing, electrical etc., perform my own medical treatment, etc. With everyone knowing everything, there would be no need to specialize and farm out the work to others. And this is just if we wanted civilization to be like it is. Perhaps we would know that is wrong and come up with what is right, but then how would we measure that?
So I see absolutely no point to Ignorance existing other than to make life harder than it already is.
Ignorance is a state of knowledge and awareness. It exists and must be dealt with. It can only be eliminated by education and experience. Even then, two people will differ, based on prior knowledge, quality of the education, personal tastes, culture, and so on.

I think our species and culture would be entirely alien to us if we were omniscient. It would be an unknown condition with nothing for us to compare with our existence now.

Then too, perhaps it is the awareness of our ignorance that drives us to learn and understand and do better. Hopefully.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't find my life pointless. Sometimes awesome. Sometimes awful. Sometimes boring. Sometimes exiting. I think it is what we make it. This too varies.

Is purpose something we have to be born with or something that we can find, nurture, grow and expand?

If we have no purpose, is there any point in worry over ignorance?

idea

Question Everything
Then there would be no reason for creative innovation--something which is a hallmark of being human. Would you see omniscience as being conducive to evolution?

The existence of creativity might point towards the impossibility of omniscience. S=klnW, a roll of the dice, probabilities, infinite possibilities, not absolutes.

Last edited: