• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did shirdi sai baba eat meat?

satyaroop

'For the aspirant, vegetarianism is good as it helps to develop sattva in oneself.'

This is what I said.

Good. I agree with this. :)
you did not answer the question.
you said shirdi sai baba did not impose meat-eating restrictions on his disciples because he was enlightened
you referred to buddha as bhagwan implying that he too was enlightened, the question is why did he(buddha) impose restrictions? why wasn't he on the same page as shirdi sai baba regarding this matter? what about the jain sages, were they unenlightened?

Ravi500

But in Gita, Krishna says, "Give up all other religions, and come in My sovereignty, I shall cleanse you of all sins." (18:66)

Krishna is stating this in the viewpoint of Brahman. The idea is to give a mental focal point for Arjuna.

Now don't say that Krishna is also an avatar of Brahman.

He is.

Brahman was Created by Vishnu (Vishnu Purana) and Krishna claims to be the avatar of Vishnu (Gita) and in Gita Krishna insists his own worship just as the worship of Vishnu (a conclusion of several references) for example, he says that anything eaten must first be "arpan" (offered) to Vishnu............ Not to Brahman.

I have stated this in a previous post. There are a lot of interpolations in the puranas. The devotees obviously want to make their representative of Brahman , the best, and this goes to ridiculous lengths.

When you give an offering to the personal God in form of Shiva or Vishnu, it is Brahman who receives it.

Ravi500

you did not answer the question.

I am so sorry.

you said shirdi sai baba did not impose meat-eating restrictions on his disciples because he was enlightened.
you referred to buddha as bhagwan implying that he too was enlightened, the question is why did he(buddha) impose restrictions? why wasn't he on the same page as shirdi sai baba regarding this matter? what about the jain sages, were they unenlightened?

I did not say that Sai imposed meat-eating restrictions on his disciples. It would not be practical as he had muslim devotees too.

I said Sai ate meat himself , as the enlightened one does not have restrictions as such.

Ravi500

This is what you are saying. Pure attempt of justification. Krishna did not say that. And Arjuna was not a devotee of Vishnu so there was no question giving a mental focal point for Arjuna in this way!

Krishna did say that . And if you have understood the Gita in the proper perspective, you will not be asking this question.

The truth is that, the logic of Hinduism is endless because Hinduism has no standpoint. Not even Gita. Now, answer this about vegetarianism. In Gita, Krishna says, "All living beings survive on cereals." (Did lions, tigers, frogs, snakes etc exist in those times?)

And where is the term 'cereals' in Gita.

Even if it is there, it is common sense to understand that tigers have for food deer which thrives on plant food. Thus plant food is the source.

Was Sai Baba not a living being?

I said Sai is an enlightened master .

satyaroop

It would not be practical as he had muslim devotees too.

there's a story about buddha, he once offered to give up his own life for the sake of an animal which was about to be slaughtered. If this story is true, we can say that he had a very strong opinion regarding this matter, and we can assume that he would state his opinion even if it meant hurting the sentiments of a particular religion.

Ravi500

A very common apology; as if only YOUR perspective is right.

And I suppose your perspective is right as per your opinion.;)

End of sanity! So if I eat the flesh of any animal, the source is plants! Why bother debating about avoiding to eat meat. You are slowly getting ridiculous.

Please tell me the source of food of the animals which the tiger or jackal eats.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In truth, Hinduism is more confused than any other belief system I have studied. Hindus worship Sai Baba, who was a diplomat - half Hindu, half Muslim and half God! Sindhi Hinud worship Jhoole Laal (Laal Shahbaz Qalandar), who was a complete Muslim Sufi Saint.

There is no doubt left, therefore, that Hinduism is a man made religion, which keeps changing almost every day.
All panthas, sampradayas, matas, are man-made. After all, religion is an artifact which allows a society to function peacefully. In that sense, Hinduism has proved to be the best religion of the world with the least strife and bloodshed. Even lesser than Buddhism (remember the massacre in Sri Lanka).

It is because we have a very weak sense of 'ours' and 'theirs' that Hindus are known to worship or bow to Jesus, Muslim Fakirs, and even give them the status of a God. Many conversions from Hinduism have happened because of this weakness.

As for changes, it happens because of time, and this is not bad. See what is happening to the religions which do not change, Roman Catholics or Islam. They become fossil religions. It is the capacity to change which has allowed Hinduism to survive for thousands of years and I think it would last longer than any other religions.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
End of sanity! So if I eat the flesh of any animal, the source is plants! Why bother debating about avoiding to eat meat. You are slowly getting ridiculous.

An argument for vegetarianism seems to me to be that although we must eat living things to survive, the vegetable/plant kingdom is a less sophisticated form of life below the animal kingdom. Animals have vastly more sophisticated development for experiencing fear, terror and pain. As an act of ahimsa (non-violence) we should eat from the vegetable/plant kingdom rather than the animal kingdom. We can be perfectly healthy (and many say healthier) eating from the vegetable/plant kingdom. It is only to please our taste buds that we choose to cause additional suffering by slaughtering animals in incredible numbers.

askersha

Quote:
An argument for vegetarianism seems to me to be that although we must eat living things to survive, the vegetable/plant kingdom is a less sophisticated form of life below the animal kingdom. Animals have vastly more sophisticated development for experiencing fear, terror and pain. As an act of ahimsa (non-violence) we should eat from the vegetable/plant kingdom rather than the animal kingdom.

I almost agree! :)

I am a AGNOSTIC, i.e. neither do i believe in the existence of GOD nor do i deny the existence. I am very indifferent. I have read religious books of different religions, and have taken out common things which AT LEAST try to prove that GOD is ONE and GOD is formless and imageless.

To start off with, firstly, I dont personally endorse the idea of considering a human being to be a god. The reason why babas in india have so much of following is because humans are considered to be gods. How can a person bow down his head to a baba like asaram bapu (who rapes girls in his ashram) and think of him as a god??? there are many others like him who fool people (Nirmal baba, etc etc). What astonishes me is the sight of educated people not applying their minds and blindly following a person and asking him praying him to fulfill their needs.. Why??? GUYS,,,, is GOD dead??? Why cant u ask him directly??? If you feel you are not as pure as those so called "GODS" or "GODMEN" to directly communicate with GOD, then let me tell you, you are certainly wrong. GOD, if he exists, is all forgiving and all knowing. He will forgive u if u ask him for forgiveness and certainly listen to you (again if n only if he exists).

Secondly, god has no shape no form no image no idol etc etc. This has been mentioned not only in vedas but also in other religious scriptures like bible and quran. So anyone that claims to be a god fails to pass the test as per the scriptures.

Thirdly, God ceases to be god if he looks like a human. Folks please understand, he is human and not god... cos he looks like us. He needs air to breathe (if he dies without breathing, he is human n not god), god does not need food to eat (if he dies hungry, he is human n not god) etc etc.

Finally, vedas, part of shruti means "that which is heard directly" and refers to scritpures which have been directly revealed to humans by the gods. Examples of shruti include the Upanishads and the Veda. These have clearly mentioned God has no image and no form. If someone says Mr. or Ms. X is god, then how can the Mr or Ms. X be seen? If they are seen, the question to ask is are they really god or are the scriptures wrong in explaining the concept of god?? Think about it folks - it is simple logic. Bhagvad Gita and Mahabharata may have been true incidents but are not divine as they are not revealed by GOD but written by humans (which leaves room for manipulation, interpolation and concoction). So think about it guys.. give it a thought, apply logic.

As far as eating meat is concerned, none of the religious scriptures deny eating meat. Except Buddhism and Jainism (again religions started by HUMAN and not GOD himself), all scriptures have mentioned eating meat. Think about it logically, if God didnt want us to eat meat, how and why did he gave us MOLAR & CANINE set of teeth? If he wanted us to be a VEGAN only then he should have had given us only the MOLARS. Think, if GOD didnt want us to eat meat, how and why does the human digestive system is made such that it can digest meat and pass it out the next morning just as any VEGAN would? When RAM n SITA went to the forest, SITA asked RAM to kill a BUCK / DEER. Think - why does SITA ask him to kill a DEER?? For her to keep it as a pet?? What will she do with a dead pet??? Of Course to eat it. Also, think - they were in the forest, and fruits and vegetation were in a plenty, so why ask to kill a DEER??? THINK GUYS!!!

Having spoken about this topic, I know which is sensitive, I would like to make a point - the intention was to share whatever I have read in scriptures across religions. Being an Agnostic, I have never really believed in the existence of GOD or denied the existence of GOD. But I have been intrigued by the kind of animosity, following and differences created by GOD(s) and religions the world over, which in turn got me interested in reading the scriptures.

The knowledge I have may be limited or probably even wrong. So if a person who is more educated than me or even less educated (on such topics) is free to correct or support me. After all, knowledge spreads by sharing.

And finally - It is all about faith and personal choice. A person wishes to follow a certain GOD or RELIGION is free to do so. REMEMBER - IT IS HIS / HER INDIVIDUAL RIGHT.

Thanks & Regards

Makaranda

if God didnt want us to eat meat, how and why did he gave us MOLAR & CANINE set of teeth? If he wanted us to be a VEGAN only then he should have had given us only the MOLARS. Think, if GOD didnt want us to eat meat, how and why does the human digestive system is made such that it can digest meat and pass it out the next morning just as any VEGAN would?

I think this is a weak argument, however logical. Just because the human body has evolved to eat meat does not mean we should resign ourselves to doing so. We can rise above our biology to ease the suffering of other living beings. Those of us (particularly in the developed world) who are healthy and have access to a variety of nutritional vegetarian/vegan food sources frankly have no good excuse for not adopting a meat-free diet. Humans are sophisticated and intelligent enough to recognise the suffering of other animals - and therefore, with that said, how can we justify animal slaughter (for the mere satisfaction of our taste-buds) without betraying either our own intelligence or our moral conscience? It is our duty to utilise the intelligence with which we are uniquely gifted. God may have given you canines, but he also gave you the mind to recognise the suffering that necessitates from using them. Perhaps God wishes you choose your actions carefully- with intelligence.

My personal opinion is that one sign of human maturity, spiritual or otherwise, is to recognise our own selfless capacity to transcend that which is most convenient and pleasurable to us, for the welfare of all others.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've never really bought into the Canine tooth argument, because human canine teeth no longer have the same characteristics as dogs and other animals that need meat.

Besides, as Makaranda has explained, there are may more reasons to be vegetarian.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Whatever argument each side have, it is meaningless to put a this vs that. Eating meat or not is up to the culture, sprituality, personal choices of a person.
I refuse to judge a person or his/her choices based on what he/she eats, whatever the pro or con arguments are.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Anyone who knows me, they know I visit all sorts of Hindu temples, familiar with many different sects and sampradayas.

So I can say with confidence, there are no "ifs or buts" about it - vegetarianism is the vast practice, teaching, and veerly the standard bearer.

One of my temples I attend is Kalighat in Kolkata India.

There, the Kali priests will cut off the head of a goat, a swift chop, so though I offer no goat, only kgs of rice, this occurs.

They do not practice Bali

Recently I observed a Bali on video, a little kid goat clamped at the jaw, literally being tortured before any chop. It upset me so much, I could not watch it and became ill and cried tears.

I am not sure about offering a goat anymore, though I do not do it. I get upset if I see any innnocent animal suffer. There was an observation recently that greatly upset me but I will not talk about it.

I would request with hope that if someone eats meat, please never eat Mother Cow (pure) nor eat the pig (dirty).

Om Namah Sivaya

Sb1995

Om Sai Ram
Namaste

Anyone who knows me, they know I visit all sorts of Hindu temples, familiar with many different sects and sampradayas.

So I can say with confidence, there are no "ifs or buts" about it - vegetarianism is the vast practice, teaching, and veerly the standard bearer.

One of my temples I attend is Kalighat in Kolkata India.

There, the Kali priests will cut off the head of a goat, a swift chop, so though I offer no goat, only kgs of rice, this occurs.

They do not practice Bali

Recently I observed a Bali on video, a little kid goat clamped at the jaw, literally being tortured before any chop. It upset me so much, I could not watch it and became ill and cried tears.

I am not sure about offering a goat anymore, though I do not do it. I get upset if I see any innnocent animal suffer. There was an observation recently that greatly upset me but I will not talk about it.

I would request with hope that if someone eats meat, please never eat Mother Cow (pure) nor eat the pig (dirty).

Om Namah Sivaya
We aren't Muslim. Sunday morning bacon and sausages <3.:D

John bozzi

He did not say that but if you are trying to worship a saint or in some cases they claim he was a god, most people aspire to be like them as much as you can. Some believe he is an incarnation of shiv, so I am not clear why his meat eating gets a pass from people.

Also did he not smoke tobacco? How can a man be revered as god if this was the case? Another New Age Religion?
It's other way around my dear . Shiv is incarnation of Sai .. Sai is param Bramhan from whom trinity and million billion universe belong and at the end mingle into him.... He lives and spread himself in every particles, atoms , and molecules .. He is formless param Bramhan .. Shiva , Vishnu , Bramha , is his different attributes only which mingle into a formless Bramhan ( parameswar) at the end of the era .. One can see Allah , Lord Krishna , the Rama , Jesus , Buddha , vittoba, Lord Ganesh , or any Demi God , or goddess that we worship , only goes to him the Sai only ..., he is beyond any scripture like the Veda , holy Koran or holy bible , beyond any barrier of cast , creed , religion . Param Bramhan unborn & never dies so he is .. He never born and never died , just left his human body in samadhi and live in the heart of his follower or non followers , accept his non believers as much as he accepts his believers .. Real God doesn't discriminate anyone, & loves everyone , as we are all tiny part of his supreme soul . Even you worship shiva , Vishnu or any statue , those are only his form . But his biggest attribute is formless parambramhan .. If you have more questions about Sai , please feel free to ring me on +612433086050...I will make ypu visualise Sai .. Oh yes . Please visit shridi if Sai calling you ..
Jai Sai Nath

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
People have various views. For me, he will remain Chand Miya, a Muslim fakir, for ever, with no connection whatsoever to Hinduism; and whose devotees are trying to take-over Hinduism. But Hinduism is vast, a bigger morsel than any Sai can chew. And I am entitled to my views. You should probably post in 'New Religious Movements DIR'.

John bozzi

People have various views. For me, he will remain Chand Miya, a Muslim fakir, for ever, with no connection whatsoever to Hinduism; and whose devotees are trying to take-over Hinduism. But Hinduism is vast, a bigger morsel than any Sai can chew. And I am entitled to my views. You should probably post in 'New Religious Movements DIR'.
There is nothing called Hinduism just to make you correct on the point . It's Sanatana dharma . Sanatana dharma is vast as I agree with you and it's great but Sai is endless , infinite , greatest, no enough words to describe his quality ( nirgun parambramhan ) as per Veda. We can turn water of seven seas into ink , and write his attributes and miracles with that ink . Ink will finish but Sai's attributes never ..
SAI NATHAY NAMAHA ..... Jai Sai Nath ...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I see this as a variation on the fundamentalism concept of 'I'm right and you're wrong.' It's much easier (not to mention more tolerant) to just accept differing views.